• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Microscopes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 9 2020 - 7:03 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

so the digital microscope I bought sucked.   no surprise.  So lets talk about umicroscopes....   What do you have, why do you love it, why do you hate it, and what did it cost you?

TIA.

• Nare and Ants_Dakota like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Nare - Posted May 9 2020 - 8:09 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

I got one of these a while ago. Value is pretty good, quality isn't bad either. Not super crisp, but it allows me to zoom in to a level I can't achieve with a macro lens. It was only $33 CAD, and I mostly use it for looking at termites, cause all of my ants move too fast to really be imaged. I could see it being super useful for IDing species, especially in cases where hairs or ridges need to be counted or whatnot. Does every ant enthusiast need a microscope? Not really. Do I really need it? Not really. Unfortunately it spends more time off than on, so I guess it was a bit of an impulse buy. But it wasn't too expensive, doesn't take up much space, and works well, so I'm not upset.

k2GUNNN.mp4

Fbkm3NA.png

I'm sure you could achieve even better results with better technique, but I'm happy with what I can achieve with these.

• BugFinder, ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 9 2020 - 9:19 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I definately need a good microscope.   What kind is that one?

never mind I just saw your link lol.   I have that one and I'm not super happy with it....   

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 9 2020 - 9:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I wouldn't use anything but a binocular stereo zoom microscope. Trinocular if you want to add a camera. I wish I could have gotten a trinocular, but I can manage to get video or pictures on mine still.

• BugFinder and Ants_Dakota like this

#5 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 9 2020 - 9:47 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Drew if I get a binocular, does it plug into the computer, or do I need a seperate camera for it.  If I get a tri, can I use the iphone as the camera, or do I need a special camera?  Thanks.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 9 2020 - 10:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Binocular or Trinocular simply means how many viewing lenses there are. Trinocular gives you one that is not offset like the other two of a stereo microscope, so when zooming in, the image doesn't shift.

Cameras are a separate thing. You can find lots of different mounts, or just hold the camera right up to the eye piece like I do.

gallery_2_187_367506.jpg

• Reacker likes this

#7 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 9 2020 - 11:22 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Binocular or Trinocular simply means how many viewing lenses there are. Trinocular gives you one that is not offset like the other two of a stereo microscope, so when zooming in, the image doesn't shift.

Cameras are a separate thing. You can find lots of different mounts, or just hold the camera right up to the eye piece like I do.

gallery_2_187_367506.jpg

that's a really amazing photo.  Would you be willing to share  a link to the one you have?

Something like this?    Together with this?

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 10 2020 - 12:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Thanks. Here's a whole thread I made on it many years ago.

https://www.formicul...oom-microscope/
  • BugFinder and ANTdrew like this

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 10 2020 - 4:16 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

I have one of the amscope SM-7 machines, been pretty happy with it. If you have a decent camera it is a good scope for pictures.

Edited by gcsnelling, May 10 2020 - 4:16 AM.

• BugFinder and Ants_Dakota like this

#10 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 10 2020 - 1:47 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Thanks. Here's a whole thread I made on it many years ago.

https://www.formicul...oom-microscope/

that's exactly what I was hoping for TYVM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users