• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need help pls identifying

Best Answer Broncos , May 6 2020 - 2:58 PM

Yea there is a queen. Formica sp. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted May 6 2020 - 2:56 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Kids and the wife and I found these guys in the front lawn. If one is a queen I'll keep them but I'm not too sure, my eyes suck lol.

The first pic (with the grass blade) seems to me like there is two and the second pic is a third one. All quite larger but again I'm no professional lol and my eyes suck!

????

?????

What do you get if you cross some ants with some ticks...?

All sorts of antics!! ... :lol:

Okay, I'll leave. That's the ant-ire joke anyways.

#2 Offline Broncos - Posted May 6 2020 - 2:58 PM   Best Answer

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Yea there is a queen. Formica sp.
  • ADHTCIAD likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#3 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted May 6 2020 - 3:21 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yea there is a queen. Formica sp.

Are they polygynous do you know? I would assume so considering I found them all near the same nest.... but I don't want to keep the queens together if they are going to kill each other lol

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 6 2020 - 3:30 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Many Formica are polygynous. However, these two queens look like different species to me, meaning they might fight (if they are different species).

Edited by AntsDakota, May 6 2020 - 3:31 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted May 6 2020 - 3:42 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Many Formica are polygynous. However, these two queens look like different species to me, meaning they might fight (if they are different species).

All the ones from the first pic with the grass blade are in a test tube setup now, ones from second pic are in something temporary for the moment. The few workers I got in with her in the tube seem fine, no fighting. I kinda want to introduce more of the workers I captured but now I'm nervous if they are two different species :lol: Would just afew workers be enough for her? I know they don't rly do much after the first batch of eggs and need help.

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 6 2020 - 3:54 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

All the ones from the first pic with the grass blade are in a test tube setup now, ones from second pic are in something temporary for the moment. The few workers I got in with her in the tube seem fine, no fighting. I kinda want to introduce more of the workers I captured but now I'm nervous if they are two different species :lol: Would just afew workers be enough for her? I know they don't rly do much after the first batch of eggs and need help.
If they’re from the same colony, they should be the same species, making it completely safe to combine them.
  • ADHTCIAD likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted May 6 2020 - 4:19 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

If they’re from the same colony, they should be the same species, making it completely safe to combine them.

Yea I'm certain they must be, they all were collected from the same square foot of my yard. Maybe two inches deep.

#8 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 6 2020 - 6:11 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

looks like probably Formica subsericia, but Formica can be hard to ID to an exact species sometimes. Still, I'd call them F. subsericia

• ADHTCIAD likes this

#9 Offline jushi - Posted May 7 2020 - 2:02 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

That looks like Formica to me! Where do you live and what is the most common type of formica there? Lots of formica are polygynous and lots are parasitic. I'd compare this image to formica queens that you know live in your area and see which one looks the most similar. 

KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#10 Offline jushi - Posted May 7 2020 - 2:02 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

That looks like Formica to me! Where do you live and what is the most common type of formica there? Lots of formica are polygynous and lots are parasitic. I'd compare this image to formica queens that you know live in your area and see which one looks the most similar. 

KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#11 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted May 7 2020 - 3:39 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm in central Canada, close to the US border. I think  CheetoLord02 is right they are Formica subsericia. I put them all together in a formicarium and a quickly made bin outworld. They're enjoying it. No fighting or nothing. Been hauling substrate into their nest all day building something. Haven't peeked yet!

• Manitobant likes this

#12 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 7 2020 - 3:56 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I'm in central Canada, close to the US border. I think  CheetoLord02 is right they are Formica subsericia. I put them all together in a formicarium and a quickly made bin outworld. They're enjoying it. No fighting or nothing. Been hauling substrate into their nest all day building something. Haven't peeked yet!

building something...an escape mound, they are notorious for this behavior.  One of the interesting and unusual facets of this species is the ability for workers to "know" they are captured and though how this is done has eluded researchers, they then proceed to "plan" and escape.  Be careful with them.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 4:14 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Haha, AC never considered that one.
  • ADHTCIAD likes this

#14 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 7 2020 - 4:34 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
If they need more workers you can easily brood boost them with pupae from wild colonies. However pupae don't show up until late june.

Edited by Manitobant, May 7 2020 - 4:35 PM.

• ADHTCIAD likes this

#15 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted May 7 2020 - 4:38 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hahaha. Yea I used olive oil until my PTFE arrives. One tried covering the oil a bit lastnight in the corners, but besides one or two (knock on wood) none of them have been too interested in climbing... Yet. And there is a tight fitting lid with some screen over the top.

#16 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted May 7 2020 - 4:40 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

If they need more workers you can easily brood boost them with pupae from wild colonies. However pupae don't show up until late june.

Yea I never saw any brood in the nest at all when I was looking, but three queens. I ended up rounding up more workers in there. Maybe 30 or so.

#17 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2020 - 6:31 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

building something...an escape mound, they are notorious for this behavior.  One of the interesting and unusual facets of this species is the ability for workers to "know" they are captured and though how this is done has eluded researchers, they then proceed to "plan" and escape.  Be careful with them.

I have definitely experienced this in my years of keeping Formica.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users