• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Want to Buy OLD version AntsCanada Outworld

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 29 2020 - 5:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I'm interested in buying any used old version AntsCanada outworlds anyone may be willing to sell. The older version is vastly superior to the new one. You can see the difference in this picture:

Does anyone have an outworld like the one on the right they are willing to sell?

• TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 29 2020 - 5:11 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I'm interested in buying any used old version AntsCanada outworlds anyone may be willing to sell. The older version is vastly superior to the new one. You can see the difference in this picture:

Does anyone have an outworld like the one on the right they are willing to sell?  

Haha. Wow, their quality has decreased by a ton. From acrylic to Tupperware...  :lol:

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 29 2020 - 5:11 PM.

• dspdrew, FSTP, AntsMaryland and 3 others like this

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 29 2020 - 5:15 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

It's offensive that they charge 80 dollars for that!

• FSTP, AntsMaryland, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 29 2020 - 6:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, it’s a piece of crap. Very opaque.
  • FSTP, AntsMaryland and TennesseeAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline FSTP - Posted April 30 2020 - 2:25 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

what the heck! Heck you guys, HECK!

• AntsMaryland and ANTdrew like this

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 5:05 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
He tries to make it look so professional by putting some little holes in it and ten thousand little intricate grooves. We’re not fooled, though.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 30 2020 - 5:25 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Does anyone here also have experience with an AntsAus Outworld? 

• ANTdrew likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#8 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 30 2020 - 5:30 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Also didn't AC say that he tests his gear on Fire ants, but I have heard a lot of bad things about his gear malfunctioning, not being effective in keeping ants in? Is this a lie or does AC have a "separate production line" that has better quality control for the sake of product placement? (most of his recent videos, to be honest.) 

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 30 2020 - 5:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Mikey B keeps his colonies in big aquariums, not this crap. Members on this forum have had ants chew through the plastic plugs and escape. My biggest complaints are how opaque it is, making decent photos and videos impossible. The rounded shape also makes the actual surface area quite small. A decent sized colony fills the whole thing up with trash quicker than toilet paper is selling out.

To their credit, mine did fully contain my Crematogaster for months, which is no small feat. That's why I want to get one of the clear ones.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 30 2020 - 5:55 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Temperateants and Ants_Dakota like this

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 30 2020 - 6:09 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The previous model appears to be thermoformed acrylic with CNC cut components like the lid and bottom.  Essentially, they take a flat sheet of acrylic, heat it up, and bend it into the desired shape: an ellipse, in this case.  Evidence of this is the single line at the back where the two opposite sides of the same sheet meet and touch one another.

The new one is injection molded, and last I heard the material was ABS plastic.  With injection molding, you can make really complex shapes and make huge numbers of idential parts at a very low cost per part, if the tool is designed correctly.  While far tougher than acrylic, therefore resisting cracking, crazing, and other issues brought about by physical trauma or chemical attack, the overall optical clarity is lower.  Polystyrene is a popular choice for injection molding due to the low cost of materials and good optical clarity, but is even more brittle and vulnerable to chemical attack than acrylic.

Maybe complain loudly and wait patiently for them to address your complaints with gen 3 AC foraging areas?

Edited by drtrmiller, April 30 2020 - 6:32 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Temperateants like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 30 2020 - 6:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Good point! I should email them my photo and complain. The one on the left was bought less than a year after the old one, so this is a recent degradation in quality. It works fine, but optimum visibility is paramount in an $80 outworld, in my opinion.

• AntsMaryland and Temperateants like this

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 30 2020 - 6:37 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Good point! I should email them my photo and complain. The one on the left was bought less than a year after the old one, so this is a recent degradation in quality. It works fine, but optimum visibility is paramount in an $80 outworld, in my opinion.

Also notice how there is no stainless steel mesh keeping the ants in. Those small holes are perfect spots for things like Monomorium and Solenopsis to chew through.

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 6:44 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

What I don't understand is why outworlds need to be so complex and expensive! All I want is a box I can see into!

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 30 2020 - 7:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Looks about as clear as polypropylene. Personally, I think glass would be the best.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#15 Offline Barristan - Posted April 30 2020 - 7:33 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany
Does the new one at least cost less? :-).

It looks like the material used for airtight boxes etc, not clear acrylic or polystyrene

Edited by Barristan, April 30 2020 - 7:37 AM.

#16 Offline FSTP - Posted April 30 2020 - 7:53 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

He likely wasn't making enough money on the old ones since those require a skilled laborer to assemble them and control quality (making sure no smeared glue lines etc).  But the Injection molded ones are a just that injection molded no one is building them in the same way that requires the skill of an assembler. they just have to make sure the mold filled out correctly and it set properly. 

• TennesseeAnts and Temperateants like this

#17 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 30 2020 - 7:59 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Does the new one at least cost less? :-).

It looks like the material used for airtight boxes etc, not clear acrylic or polystyrene

I seem to remember the older ones costing $100.

• ANTdrew likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#18 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted April 30 2020 - 8:02 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have the whole setup for sale. I got it when I was younger and now i'm realizing how bad it is. Hopefully someone buys yours (y)

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 8:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I mean, couldn't he just sell 10 gallon fish tanks for 50 dollars?

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 30 2020 - 8:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I have the whole setup for sale. I got it when I was younger and now i'm realizing how bad it is. Hopefully someone buys yours (y)

Well, I’m not selling. I want to buy an old version. Do you have one for sale?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users