• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to mail ant colonies

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 11 2020 - 5:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Given our current shituation, it seems that mailing colonies may be the only way folks can sell ants this year. I’d really appreciate if some experienced folks could share detailed advice on how to do this safely and humanely.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 11 2020 - 6:16 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Ant_Dude has always done it so I would suggest striking a conversation up with him

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#3 Offline Barristan - Posted April 11 2020 - 7:34 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Most ant species are quite robust and you can mail them without any problems.

Things to make sure:

• Is the cotton in the test tube nest tight enough so it won't become loose after heavy shaking?
  • Did you use enough stuffing so the test-tube doesn't fly around inside the package and can't break?

Problematic are ant species that produce a lot of formic acid or other defensive secretions if stressed. If you want to send such a colony it is better to place the test tube open in another closed container (also use stuffing inside the container). The bigger that container is the higher the chances are that the acid (or other stuff) will mix with the surrounding air and the concentration doesn't get high enough to harm the ants.

Very fragile ants can also be placed in a small plastic box without a test tube. Stuff it with crumpled-up tissue and put several drops of water on the tissue so the ants have enough moisture during the travel.

EDIT: I found that video it shows how fragile/large species are shipped:

Edited by Barristan, April 11 2020 - 7:55 PM.

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted April 12 2020 - 2:03 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Wouldn't it be better to form like a tub of tissue paper then put then ant in the middle and cover it with some tissue paper on top, the way Tarantulas are shipped? That way the ant doesn't get bashed against the plastic walls if the box is treated in a rough way.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline Barristan - Posted April 12 2020 - 2:12 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

With a huge ant like Dinomyrmex gigas that would make sense. Smaller ants will just crawl between the sheets of tissue by themselves and are quite save there.

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and jushi like this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 12 2020 - 2:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thank you, Barristan! This is exactly what I was looking for. Do you provide food for the journey? Do you write something on the box or label it to stay upright?
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and jushi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted April 12 2020 - 5:01 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

In my experience parcel deliverymen don't really care a lot what you write or put on the package except for the label they have to scan. So make sure the label is on top. Food is not needed, water is the only thing important during shipment.

I also wouldn't ship ants if it is really hot or cold (but high temperatures are a lot more problematic). You never know where the packages are stored and how hot it can get in the trucks.

• ANTdrew, Somethinghmm, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 1 other like this

#8 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 12 2020 - 6:04 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I would suggest making a holder for it and then going and surrounding it in a soft material and ship it that way so it remains in the same position and the glass won't shatter if it really gets jostled around

• jushi likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#9 Offline Canadant - Posted April 12 2020 - 8:29 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Most ant species are quite robust and you can mail them without any problems.

Things to make sure:

• Is the cotton in the test tube nest tight enough so it won't become loose after heavy shaking?
  • Did you use enough stuffing so the test-tube doesn't fly around inside the package and can't break?

Problematic are ant species that produce a lot of formic acid or other defensive secretions if stressed. If you want to send such a colony it is better to place the test tube open in another closed container (also use stuffing inside the container). The bigger that container is the higher the chances are that the acid (or other stuff) will mix with the surrounding air and the concentration doesn't get high enough to harm the ants.

Very fragile ants can also be placed in a small plastic box without a test tube. Stuff it with crumpled-up tissue and put several drops of water on the tissue so the ants have enough moisture during the travel.

EDIT: I found that video it shows how fragile/large species are shipped:

Thanks for the info. That is one HUGE ant in there. Wow.
  • jushi likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 12 2020 - 8:41 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
That’s why its species is ‘gigas’.
  • jushi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#11 Offline Barristan - Posted April 12 2020 - 9:44 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

What I also did last year was adding a small strip (but longer than the test tube) of tissue into the test tube. Since the tissue was longer you had to fold it at several positions. By adding that strip of tissue the ants weren't able to fly around that much if the package has been shaken.

It is also easier for the ants to grab tissue than glass, so the chances that they loose grip is not so high if they have some rough material they can hold on.

Edited by Barristan, April 12 2020 - 9:45 AM.

#12 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 12 2020 - 9:49 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I just fill a box with paper and plant the ants somewhere inside.

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 12 2020 - 11:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Wrap and cushion them with a lot of shock absorbent materials, and they should be fine no matter what label’s on the box.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#14 Offline nurbs - Posted April 12 2020 - 11:39 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Sales are usually slow, but ever since the quarantine things have picked up a bit, especially with everyone wanting their ants shipped.

I use a heavily padded envelop and wrap paper towel over plastic flower vials with damp cotton inserted (pictured below). No need to do a full test tube setup as that may drown the queen or colony during transit. If you have workers, you can use several vials. No need to keep them all in one container.

Everything thus far has arrived without issue.

47KL3Iql.jpg

Edited by nurbs, April 12 2020 - 11:39 AM.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 18 2020 - 10:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I learned some hard lessons after my first attempt to mail. Unfortunately, I didn’t read Nurbs’ post carefully enough and mailed a colony in a normal test tube set up. I chose one day express mail, so that meant a short plane ride. The change in air pressure caused the tube to flood and almost drowned the colony. In the future I will both avoid air mail and be sure move colonies into a DRY tube with a bit of moist cotton in the back. I’ll probably put one of those hand warmers in the box, too. I feel like an idiot, plus I’m sad to have harmed such s promising colony.

#16 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 18 2020 - 10:32 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I learned some hard lessons after my first attempt to mail. Unfortunately, I didn’t read Nurbs’ post carefully enough and mailed a colony in a normal test tube set up. I chose one day express mail, so that meant a short plane ride. The change in air pressure caused the tube to flood and almost drowned the colony. In the future I will both avoid air mail and be sure move colonies into a DRY tube with a bit of moist cotton in the back. I’ll probably put one of those hand warmers in the box, too. I feel like an idiot, plus I’m sad to have harmed such s promising colony.

It's fine, we all make mistakes. You are currently in an infancy-like a baby trying to stand up, you're not going to get it the first time, you'll fail before you achieve success.  

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 18 2020 - 10:37 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Yeah. It could’ve been a lot worse.

#18 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 18 2020 - 11:12 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

It's fine, we all make mistakes. You are currently in an infancy-like a baby trying to stand up, you're not going to get it the first time, you'll fail before you achieve success.  

poetic.

• DDD101DDD likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#19 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 18 2020 - 11:13 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Also, where is the guide? And if I mail a nearly dry tube how can I expect the recipient to move the colony into a wet tube?

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 18 2020 - 11:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Most of the ants seem to be recovering as they dry off.
Yes, some one with a lot of experience should write a detailed guide like the ones Crystals used to make. If you mailed a dry tube, they’d have to just dump the colony into a new set up upon arrival, which is what my customer is doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users