• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mite infestation in tubs&tubes setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Koreant - Posted April 18 2020 - 6:33 AM

Koreant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Recently I had a grain mite plague in my mealworm container, which was on the same table as my Ectomomyrmex javanus tubs & tubes setup. I got rid of the old container, and moved all the mealworms into a new one while checking every single one with under a microscope for hitchhikers. Then I practically nuked the table with 3 layers of alcohol to kill any remaining survivors. I didn't see any mites around and I was happy.

Until today.

My smart [censored] though that increasing the humidity level of my tubs and tubes setup would be a gr8 idea. I was wrong. I woke up to one of my enclosure's test tube INFESTED with grain mites. I know that they feed off decaying matter but they multiply in the speed of light, and what I don't want is another infestation taking place in my room. It seems like the spike in humidity was the thing that drew the mites in to live. And i heard that once you get them, you never really can get rid of them completely. They still are considered household pests, and I want to keep their numbers to a minimum.

1. Will these guys disturb my queen and her eggs? they both are very sensitive.

2. Is there a quick and easy way to dehydrate the setup to control their growth while not disturbing the queen to much?

I live in south korea and it's gonna rain for the next 4 days.

3. Is there a good way to get rid of them without introducing predatory mites?

finally, what is the best course of action I could take to stop this as soon as I can?

Thank you all in advance.

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 18 2020 - 10:05 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I would suggest moving the colony into a new test tube/nest, yet you should urge them so you can disconnect their setups before mites get into the new setup as well. I don't think dehydrating their current setup is a good idea, as it could endanger the colony as well. However I doubt the mites would harm the ants in any significant way, though.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 18 2020 - 2:35 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

You could try to get some predatory mites. This could be Hypoaspis sp. or some other mites. Predatory mites are usually the fast ones. Beware that they will eat anything that's smaller than them, moving or undefended, so if you have springtails I suggest you keep the mites away from them. After the grain mites are gone, there will probably be very minimal predatory mites left, and they need wet soil to reproduce in most species, so they are unlikely to survive outside of your setups. I'm not sure if this would entirely solve the problem, but they annihilate any mites and springtails in my setups. 

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline Koreant - Posted April 18 2020 - 5:30 PM

Koreant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you all for the replies, but introducing predatory mites aren't really an option for me as it is quite hard to get in my area. 

The inhabitants of the setup are only the queen and eggs, and she has no workers or brood yet. But i am concerned about her being stressed out......

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 18 2020 - 7:01 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Thank you all for the replies, but introducing predatory mites aren't really an option for me as it is quite hard to get in my area. 

The inhabitants of the setup are only the queen and eggs, and she has no workers or brood yet. But i am concerned about her being stressed out......

if it's just a queen then just detach the test tube and get a new outworld.

#6 Offline Koreant - Posted April 19 2020 - 3:37 PM

Koreant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I will replace the old container, but most of the mites are lingering around inside the queen's test tube. So I do think they might multiply in other setups. Should I at least give it a go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users