• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is the biggest ant colony that you own?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsExodus - Posted December 15 2019 - 12:32 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

A lot of people have really big ant colonies that are their biggest ant colonies, and some others have a queen and nanatics as their biggest colony. What is your biggest colony? Mine is a Pheidole Bicarinata colony that I own. It has around 50 workers and 1 queen. I have owned this colony for a few months now. This colony used to have 7 queens but they killed 6.

• AntsDakota likes this

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 12:42 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I have a large Aphaenogaster cf. rudis colony with around 150 workers and about the same number or more in young brood.

• AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 15 2019 - 12:43 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've never had a big colony :lol:

• AntsBC, AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 1:13 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I've never had a colony  :lol:

yet...

• AntsDakota likes this

#5 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted December 15 2019 - 3:45 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

My Tetramorium immigrans colony is my biggest, but I put them in a dirt setup and have no idea how big they've gotten. I would guess 4-500, but I could be off.

• AntsDakota likes this

#6 Offline AntJohnny - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:44 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.
I have a parasitic lasius colony with about 800. It would have been alot bigger but I dropped there setup and lost a few hundred. I also have a formica species with about 400. I have a few multiple queen colonies I am hoping will start to rapidly grow after hibernation.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 15 2019 - 6:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

My Nylanderia are the largest, at about 800 workers, by over 795 compared to all my other ants.  None of my other ants, unless something goes terribly wrong, will ever catch up to them.

Edited by NickAnter, January 31 2020 - 7:15 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 15 2019 - 7:23 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Mine is a Formica pacifica colony with close to 2,800 workers. I caught the queen near Seattle, Washington in June of 2016. She was my first queen, so it's even more impressive that she's gotten to maturity. Last year they produced their first alates, and had mini nuptial flights in their outworlds.

My largest colony I have with me in Tennessee is a Camponotus chromaiodes colony with about 600 workers. I found her and her 40 ish workers in an old log in July of 2018.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 11 2020 - 4:49 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#9 Offline antwall - Posted December 15 2019 - 10:40 PM

antwall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Mine is a Nylanderia vividula colony with 500-600 workers and too much brood to count.
  • AntsDakota likes this
Argentine ants are mean.

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted December 15 2019 - 10:42 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Camponotus barbaricus, around 12-14k workers (~3.5 years old).

• FeedTheAnts, rbarreto, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 16 2019 - 10:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

My biggest colony is Tetramorium immigrans that will be going into their third season after this winter. It's been estimated that they are ~8,000 ants. They're actually getting too big for me to manage. :o

I also have a Crematogaster cerasi colony that's maybe ~1,000 workers.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and DDD101DDD like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted December 16 2019 - 11:20 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Yay! An excuse to brag on The Valentines! 

Stats: Crematogaster ashmeadi -- queen caught May 2017 -- 4000 to 5000 workers 

I also owned a Formica pallidefulva colony in the past that had over one thousand workers when I released them.

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and DDD101DDD like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#13 Offline Broncos - Posted December 16 2019 - 12:23 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

Formica Francoeuri with about 200 workers. This sound crazy but I counted about 300 brood.

• AntsDakota likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 16 2019 - 3:04 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've never had a big colony :lol:

Truer words have never been spoken. (For me, at least) My Solenopsis molesta have a hundred or so introduced wild workers and a few dozen queens.... still not a big colony, though.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#15 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 16 2019 - 3:22 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
My 2 largest colonies are aphaenogaster picea with around 75 workers and over 100 brood and a 7 queen tapinoma melanocephalum colony at about 150 workers and 50 brood.

#16 Offline Serafine - Posted December 17 2019 - 3:11 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Formica Francoeuri with about 200 workers. This sound crazy but I counted about 300 brood.

(Servi)Formica species are well-known for their ability to raise pretty ridiculous amounts of brood. Just feed them a ton of insects during their active time and you will see them explode into the thousands within a few months.

• FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#17 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 17 2019 - 9:21 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

(Servi)Formica species are well-known for their ability to raise pretty ridiculous amounts of brood. Just feed them a ton of insects during their active time and you will see them explode into the thousands within a few months.

I've definitely experienced this....

#18 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 18 2019 - 6:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Antwall, how in the world has your Nylanderia colony grown so big so quick? How often do you feed protein? Mine are only at about 350. And they were caught before yours and kept on a heating cable the whole time. What is your secret?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#19 Offline antwall - Posted December 19 2019 - 10:44 AM

antwall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I feed fruit flies every other day, and the queen laid a few thousand eggs. Maybe just because they are allowed to design their own home in their sand jar setup.

Edited by antwall, December 19 2019 - 10:46 AM.

• NickAnter likes this
Argentine ants are mean.

#20 Offline Rob11420 - Posted December 20 2019 - 8:09 AM

Rob11420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

My biggest colony is also Nylanderia Vividula with 2 queens and over 1000 workers  :D  They are one and a half years old and produced their first male elates a few weeks ago.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users