• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to find Colobopsis impressa and missisippiensis

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 14 2020 - 9:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I have yet to see a successful journal on these. Makes me doubt they’re worth the effort. Learn to enjoy them in their natural habitat.

Completely worth it when you do it right. You just gotta make sure they have at least 5 queens. Last year my colony got up to 10 workers.
What happened after ten workers?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#22 Offline madbiologist - Posted April 14 2020 - 9:31 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I have yet to see a successful journal on these. Makes me doubt they’re worth the effort. Learn to enjoy them in their natural habitat.

Completely worth it when you do it right. You just gotta make sure they have at least 5 queens. Last year my colony got up to 10 workers.
He only had one queen. Missisippiensis are obligate polygynists, it's a miracle he even managed to get workers out of that queen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#23 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 14 2020 - 9:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

They died in a test tube flood. Idk if I ever mentioned that in my journal though.

#24 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 14 2020 - 9:33 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

He only had one queen. Missisippiensis are obligate polygynists, it's a miracle he even managed to get workers out of that queen.

I had Colobopsis impressa, and they had 5 queens.

#25 Offline madbiologist - Posted April 14 2020 - 9:34 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
Hmm, I must be thinking of someone else's journal.

#26 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 14 2020 - 8:10 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with colonies needing multiple queens to survive. In fact, in the wild, I rarely see colonies with more than one queen. Pleometrotic, yes, but fully and entirely polygynous? Not at all. If you're having trouble with your queens founding, it's probably the nest. Colobopsis require extremely thin test tubes in order to thrive, which can be hard to get your hands on.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#27 Offline madbiologist - Posted April 14 2020 - 8:13 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with colonies needing multiple queens to survive. In fact, in the wild, I rarely see colonies with more than one queen. Pleometrotic, yes, but fully and entirely polygynous? Not at all. If you're having trouble with your queens founding, it's probably the nest. Colobopsis require extremely thin test tubes in order to thrive, which can be hard to get your hands on.

How thin?

#28 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 14 2020 - 8:25 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with colonies needing multiple queens to survive. In fact, in the wild, I rarely see colonies with more than one queen. Pleometrotic, yes, but fully and entirely polygynous? Not at all. If you're having trouble with your queens founding, it's probably the nest. Colobopsis require extremely thin test tubes in order to thrive, which can be hard to get your hands on.

How thin?

2-3 mm preferably.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users