• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I CAUGHT MY FIRST QUEEN!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 4 2020 - 10:57 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I CAUGHT MY FIRST QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't take any pictures yet (i didn't want to disturb her; she's all tucked away in a test tube in a box downstairs where it's quiet), so sorry for that :/. However, I do know a few things. For one, she's formicine. For two, she's fat. Very fat, and organgeish. For three, she's fully-claustral. For four, she's a little less than a cm long. My guess is some sort of Formica (there's a Formica colony nearby, but i don't think she came from there). My second guess is Prenolepis Imparis. I also found a male, but I'm not sure what species/genus he was from.

Great to know i'm finally a (somewhat) real antkeeper! The only sad part is that I can't get out of the house to buy heating cables and stuff like that. Anyway, i'm going in to this knowing she might not survive (sad) but nevertheless, i'm particularly happy this day! Thanks for all the information you guys have given! Pictures might be arriving sometime in the future (she's all snug in her royal box, i don't want to disturb her!)

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, April 4 2020 - 10:59 AM.

• Somethinghmm, DDD101DDD, Kaban_Kabanus and 1 other like this

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:02 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I CAUGHT MY FIRST QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't take any pictures yet (i didn't want to disturb her; she's all tucked away in a test tube in a box downstairs where it's quiet), so sorry for that :/. However, I do know a few things. For one, she's formicine. For two, she's fat. Very fat, and organgeish. For three, she's fully-claustral. For four, she's a little less than a cm long. My guess is some sort of Formica (there's a Formica colony nearby, but i don't think she came from there). My second guess is Prenolepis Imparis. I also found a male, but I'm not sure what species/genus he was from.

Great to know i'm finally a (somewhat) real antkeeper! The only sad part is that I can't get out of the house to buy heating cables and stuff like that. Anyway, i'm going in to this knowing she might not survive (sad) but nevertheless, i'm particularly happy this day! Thanks for all the information you guys have given! Pictures might be arriving sometime in the future (she's all snug in her royal box, i don't want to disturb her!)

Formica probably won't fly in New York til at least next month.

#3 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:03 AM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Congrats! She's more than likely imparis.

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:04 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

So prenolepis, then? I looked up pictures of prenolepis queens and they look somewhat like mine. The male i found looked like Prenolepis too.

In that case, i guess its ok that I don't have a heating cable, right?

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
No heat. Also, keep in mind that nanitics don’t arrive until 2-3 months.
  • Somethinghmm likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:09 AM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

So prenolepis, then? I looked up pictures of prenolepis queens and they look somewhat like mine. The male i found looked like Prenolepis too.

Can you take some pictures? And yes, she doesn't need any heat.

#7 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:10 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

No heat. Also, keep in mind that nanitics don’t arrive until 2-3 months.

Well, not much else to do in isolation.

Can you take some pictures? And yes, she doesn't need any heat.

I'll try... can't guarantee anything.

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’m still unclear about how sensitive they are. Some check them once a week with no problems, and others claim they need to be kept in the dark for at least a month.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline Canadant - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:32 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Awesome! It's a good feeling and good luck.
  • TheMicroPlanet likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#10 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:34 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Here's the best photo i could get.9UraEs0lKviRzzJhUH3Ai07SbZPLbgYDbmNK8WJU

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:37 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Looks like Prenolepis to me.

#12 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:37 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

When should the eggs arrive?

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:39 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I believe a week or two, yet I’m not completely sure.

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:39 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Looks like a grain of rice to me....

Only joking of course. :lol:

• AntsDakota, TheMicroPlanet and Ants_Dakota like this

#15 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:44 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Looks like a grain of rice to me....

Only joking of course. :lol:

I think i'll name her Rice just for that  :lol:

not that i'm making any long-term plans yet. I know full well she might not survive, or might not even be mated.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s a Prenolepis 100%
Congrats! It won’t be your last queen this season.
  • TheMicroPlanet likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#17 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:55 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I know she's fully claustral, but should I give her a little honey or sugar water?

#18 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted April 4 2020 - 12:13 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

I know she's fully claustral, but should I give her a little honey or sugar water?

I think you're worrying about her too much. She doesn't need sugar water yet. I would check on her in 3 or so weeks.

• DDD101DDD and TheMicroPlanet like this

#19 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 4 2020 - 12:43 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I think you're worrying about her too much. She doesn't need sugar water yet. I would check on her in 3 or so weeks.

Thanks for the advice!

#20 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 5 2020 - 8:28 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I think I might've found the colony she came from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users