• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Skwiggledork's Tetramorium bicarinatum journal. Discontinued 7/31/2020

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 9 2020 - 2:48 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I unexpectedly and accidentally came into a small colony of T.bicarinatum. I probably have between 20-30 ants (workers and queens both with and without wings) and a decent amount of brood.

4kVePrU.jpg

Not the best picture since I scrambled to get a test tube and the AC test tube portal to start dumping them in and just snapped a quick pic to try and get an ID. I received a petridish formicarium and hydrated it too fast and water spurted out of it and there was a bunch of brood and ants in it, so they were just suddenly all over.

Edited by Skwiggledork, July 31 2020 - 2:23 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 2:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I think they'd be fine in a test tube like you have them until they outgrow it. Just make sure they don't escape.

• Skwiggledork likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 9 2020 - 2:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

These are not Pharoah ants. They are either Myrmica or Tetramorium bicarinatum, likely the latter if you are near NYC or Long Island.

• Skwiggledork, PacificNorthWestern and AntsDakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 3:05 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Either way, a test tube will suit them fine.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 9 2020 - 3:49 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

These are not Pharoah ants. They are either Myrmica or Tetramorium bicarinatum, likely the latter if you are near NYC or Long Island.

The petridish formicariums came from Ontario, Canada, If that narrows it down. I'll try to get better pictures in a few. I'm kind of glad and kind of disappointed they aren't pharaohs.

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 9 2020 - 4:20 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

If the ants came from Ontario it is most certainly Myrmica. You probably won't be able to get down to a species without a microscope.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 9 2020 - 5:01 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

That seems to be some sort of Tetramorium. Possibly T. bicarinatum, a common exotic in greenhouses in Canada.

• Skwiggledork and Manitobant like this

#8 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 9 2020 - 6:25 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Where did you catch these? Could be Stenamma sp.

#9 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 9 2020 - 6:37 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

8i3YtIr.jpg

okNeapX.jpg

DuWt7D5.jpg

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#10 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 9 2020 - 6:38 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Where did you catch these? Could be Stenamma sp.

I ordered some formicariums from canada and these were stowed away in them.

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 9 2020 - 6:51 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Definitely Tetramorium bicarinatum.

• Skwiggledork, TennesseeAnts and Manitobant like this

#12 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 10 2020 - 11:54 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

wUSN88G.jpg

K6y4D0W.jpg

OXjRPkn.jpg

Ok, Now that I have some better pictures I would definitely agree these are T.bicarinatum. The petiole is to rounded to me M.pharaonis and the propodeum has a pair of spines, which the Monomorium doesn't.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#13 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 10 2020 - 1:31 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
that's 100% bicarinatum. I have a colony of these and they are extremely easy to care for. They'll eat literally anything and grow quite fast.

#14 Offline Canadant - Posted April 10 2020 - 1:41 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Cool looking ants.

Edited by Canadant, April 10 2020 - 6:13 PM.

"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 10 2020 - 1:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

(Deleted) 

Edited by AntsDakota, April 10 2020 - 1:56 PM.

#16 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 12 2020 - 9:49 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Yep, T. bicarinatum. Didn't know they were in Canada. Nice pics, btw

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 12 2020 - 11:04 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Perhaps they just arrived from a tropical location, or survived winter by living in warm buildings.

#18 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 12 2020 - 3:48 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

The store I ordered the formicariums from sell ants within canada, so they may have just had some escape. No idea either way.

• BugFinder likes this

#19 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 24 2020 - 11:57 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

The brood pile has exploded.

Vdq6rL2.jpg

And I gave them an outworld. I hate trying to feed colonies in test tubes and it keeps the test tube cleaner longer.

WdeSBzN.jpg

• AntsBC and AntsDakota like this

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 24 2020 - 1:01 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Is this species necessarily as fast growing as other Tetramorium? Those queens look a little smaller and less productive to me (that is true with many polygynous species).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users