• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How is COVID-19 Affecting You?

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 13 2020 - 10:17 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Mhm, especially the older people. 

#Ants4Life

#22 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 10:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Update- no school next week, City in state of emergency.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#23 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 13 2020 - 10:43 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I think we can all agree though that panicking is probably the worst option...

Actually this brings up an interesting topic. How do ants deal with disease?

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, March 13 2020 - 10:44 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#24 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 10:58 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

They groom themselves.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#25 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 13 2020 - 11:33 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Like a cat?

#Ants4Life

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 11:41 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Sort of. Their tongue like structures can knock the spores of fungal pathogens off their exoskeletons.

#27 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 13 2020 - 11:46 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Neat! 

#Ants4Life

#28 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 11:49 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Ants are in danger of parasitic fungi whose spores land on their exoskeletons, grow into their bodies, invade their brains, and mushrooms or other spore-spreaders emerge from the body and release spores to infect other ants.

#29 Offline Miles - Posted March 13 2020 - 12:03 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

POPULAR

It's probably not a great idea to spread misinformation (even accidentally) about COVID-19, and this thread should not be used for that purpose.

For information about COVID-19, please visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ and https://coronavirus.jhu.edu.

Edited by Miles, March 13 2020 - 12:16 PM.

• Ants4fun, gcsnelling, Martialis and 8 others like this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#30 Offline Broncos - Posted March 13 2020 - 12:22 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
I just got news that my school is closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#31 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 12:24 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
The city closed pretty much all facilities under its jurisdiction. I think they even cancelled gatherings in public parks.

#32 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 13 2020 - 12:54 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

My school is on the brink of closing until the end of spring break.

• TennesseeAnts and Broncos like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#33 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 13 2020 - 12:58 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I live a moderate bike ride from the DC line, so we definitely are being hit hard. I am a teacher and just heard that my school district, which is one of the largest in the country will be closed until after Easter. God is good, and my salary is protected. I’m not worried for my health or even my children’s health, but I want to be responsible and not spread anything. All the sports cancellations really shook me, and I can’t wrap my head around the fact that churches are closed during Lent and Holy Week. Thank God for my ants and the bits of normalcy that remain.

Edited by ANTdrew, March 13 2020 - 12:59 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, ConcordAntman, AntsDakota and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#34 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 13 2020 - 1:12 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Praise God. That's good that you are not worried about it. Yeah, my dad is a pastor, and he just announced that we won't have church, or youth group this week. Who knows about next week. 

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

#Ants4Life

#35 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 13 2020 - 1:58 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

The school my kids attend closed today;  a state competition they were expecting to in, along with their softballs season, and a theater production they were starring in has all been cancelled.  I have my fingers crossed that this doesn't turn into an extended financial recession that harms my business.  

Trump announced today a fund will be available to help people pay rent who are impacted by the virus, but I bet it will be too limited or too hard to access for us to take advantage of.  Waiting tio see how the next few weeks go.  The next few weeks will determine everything.

Fortunately Trump announced today a great plan to provide testing around the country in a way that is very fast and easy, and will channel actual cases of the virus into the medical system and keep non cases out of our ERs.  That should help a lot.

It's the impacts on the ecomony that really has me worried.

• ANTdrew likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#36 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 13 2020 - 2:26 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

It's probably not a great idea to spread misinformation (even accidentally) about COVID-19, and this thread should not be used for that purpose.

For information about COVID-19, please visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ and https://coronavirus.jhu.edu.

Thanks for the links.

#37 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 13 2020 - 2:34 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

My school just announced, well the district actually, is closing for two weeks.

• BugFinder likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#38 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 13 2020 - 2:56 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Best post in this thread Miles.

• TennesseeAnts and TheMicroPlanet like this

#39 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 13 2020 - 3:07 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I think most maps showing COVID-19's spread are a little deceiving, especially the ones highlighting entire countries. I mean, in most cases (like the US) it's not the entire country that infected, just a few states (mostly the coasts in the US). And even within those states, it's not the entire state that's infected, and so on.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#40 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 13 2020 - 3:31 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Walmart and amazon.com are price gouging on necessary items like bottled water.  $40 for a case of water I normally pay less than $5 for.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users