• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Formica subsericea Journal - FormicaFarm Setup

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Spazmops - Posted August 21 2020 - 8:19 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

I read that Formica don’t like to hibernate with brood, so they don’t lay eggs that wouldn’t have time to become workers before diapause. I don’t know if this is true or not, but that might be what’s going on.

• ANTdrew likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#102 Offline Devi - Posted August 21 2020 - 11:00 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Nice conlony!  They look beautiful.  I have a formica queen and she is really strange too.  She'll just spaz out for no reason, and doesn't lay very consistently.  Good luck!

• ANTdrew likes this

#103 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 17 2020 - 10:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 9-17-2020

Well, I don't think I'm earning the Formica merit badge this year. I haven't updated in here in a while because it's mostly bad news, and I didn't think anyone needed more of that in 2020. My Formica argentea keep plugging along, but there is still no new brood. I will probably hibernate them very soon and hope for a better year next year. I still have a glimmer of hope for them.

Things really went downhill for my Formica pallidefulva. Workers have just been dying off steadily until the last one kicked the bucket yesterday. I wonder if the mini-hearth was too big for them, and they were too timid/dumb to forage? There was also some moldy food in one corner, but I honestly have no clue how this promising colony just tanked so quickly. In any case I euthanized the queen last night in my freezer. RIP

Edited by ANTdrew, September 17 2020 - 10:13 AM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#104 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 17 2020 - 10:13 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Update 9-17-2020

Well, I don't think I'm earning the Formica merit badge this year. I haven't updated in here in a while because it's mostly bad news, and I didn't think anyone needed more of that in 2020. My Formica argentea keep plugging along but there is still no new brood. I will probably hibernate them very soon and hope for a better year next year. I still have a glimmer of hope for them.

Things really went downhill for my Formica pallidefulva. Workers have just been dying off steadily until the last one kicked the bucket yesterday. I wonder if the mini-hearth was too big for them, and they were too timid/dumb to forage? There was also some moldy food in one corner, but I honestly have no clue how this promising colony just tanked so quickly. In any case I euthanized the queen last night in my freezer. RIP

too bad. I have a formica right now just like that. She lost her last workers. And on top of that, formica is my favorite genus. But better luck next year.

• ANTdrew likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#105 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 17 2020 - 10:46 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

Formica are tricky to start off i only have one queen that decided to lay eggs. another one i caught layed eggs but of course i checked on her one day and the next day they were gone.

We don’t talk about that

#106 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 17 2020 - 11:06 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I have had luck with them in the first year only. They always seem to loose all their workers before they can get more in the spring, and their nanitics last for like 1 month

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#107 Online ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2020 - 7:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Quick update to say that my F. argentea colony has been hibernating in my fridge for over a month now. I really hope this rest will help kick start the queen's egg laying come next spring.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#108 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 19 2020 - 8:16 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Quick update to say that my F. argentea colony has been hibernating in my fridge for over a month now. I really hope this rest will help kick start the queen's egg laying come next spring.

hopefully yours does better than mine. my formica montana has only 1 nanitic left :(

#109 Online ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2020 - 8:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Formica are a formidable challenge for any keeper.

• Ants_Dakota and Devi like this

#110 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 19 2020 - 9:18 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Formica are a formidable challenge for any keeper.

yes they are.

#111 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 19 2020 - 9:19 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I read that Formica don’t like to hibernate with brood, so they don’t lay eggs that wouldn’t have time to become workers before diapause. I don’t know if this is true or not, but that might be what’s going on.

This is correct.

#112 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 19 2020 - 9:21 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

This is correct.

they eat it all before they hibernate.

#113 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 19 2020 - 12:36 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

This is correct.
From what I have heard they just straight up don’t lay it if the development time will exceed when they start diapause.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#114 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 19 2020 - 12:43 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

This is correct.
From what I have heard they just straight up don’t lay it if the development time will exceed when they start diapause.

mine didn't. they had 1 large larvae, and then they ate it.

#115 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 19 2020 - 12:46 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I've heard a lot of people call Formica species a good beginner species. It doesn't seem like that's true from reading this though.

• ANTdrew likes this

#116 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 19 2020 - 12:50 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I've heard a lot of people call Formica species a good beginner species. It doesn't seem like that's true from reading this though.

Every queen I have found has died after a day, or in a couple weeks. I had one exception, who lasted a month or less I think.

#117 Online ANTdrew - Posted November 19 2020 - 12:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I would consider them intermediate, not beginner level.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#118 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 19 2020 - 12:56 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I would consider them intermediate, not beginner level.

the easiest part for me was to get them to nanatics. then all the nanitics died, and the queen with them, sadly.

#119 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 19 2020 - 1:02 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I found a Formica subsericea queen that overwintered under a rock. She got nanitics after a while. 6 in total. Then one day I put a a thick layer of baby powder and rubbing alcohol and closed the lid. I came back to some dead workers and some spazzing out. I put the ones that were still alive back in the tube(they were moving around randomly) and they survived. So now my Formica only have 2 workers. So basically I accidentally killed 2/3 of my Formica workers with isopropyl alcohol fumes.

#120 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 19 2020 - 1:08 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I found a Formica subsericea queen that overwintered under a rock. She got nanitics after a while. 6 in total. Then one day I put a a thick layer of baby powder and rubbing alcohol and closed the lid. I came back to some dead workers and some spazzing out. I put the ones that were still alive back in the tube(they were moving around randomly) and they survived. So now my Formica only have 2 workers. So basically I accidentally killed 2/3 of my Formica workers with isopropyl alcohol fumes.

it could have been the baby powder. it stops ants from breathing if you put too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users