• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How long have you been keeping ants?

antkeeping ant history

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 9 2020 - 1:17 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
No, I meant Thunder_Birds.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#42 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 9 2020 - 2:09 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Although in the future, you probably shouldn’t release captive colonies.

What me?
I live in an area that is absolutely dominated by lasius the nuptial flights are crazy you open your mouth and you catch 10 queens. lol

If I add a mid sized colony to the mix instead of killing them I don't change a thing they are everywhere. Of course I want the ants I had for 3 years next to my bed to succeed even tho I'm not able to house them anymore

No, not you :) Oh ok, sounds good AntsDakota. 

• AntaholicAnonymous likes this

#Ants4Life

#43 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 9 2020 - 2:36 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

No, I meant Thunder_Birds.

Oh my bad. lol
I still think it's important to say that releasing a native species is not gonna be the end of the world.

Releasing foreign species is the real danger

#44 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 9 2020 - 2:53 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Of course not. Part of the reason why I even mentioned it is because some people seem to think so. If you said you released ants on your journal, you’d most likely be attacked because there is a small chance they might introduce some foreign pathogen and/or effect the native ecosystem in some unknown way. They say captivity changes any organism, which is true, but it still doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world.
  • AntaholicAnonymous and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#45 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 4:30 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Of course not. Part of the reason why I even mentioned it is because some people seem to think so. If you said you released ants on your journal, you’d most likely be attacked because there is a small chance they might introduce some foreign pathogen and/or effect the native ecosystem in some unknown way. They say captivity changes any organism, which is true, but it still doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world.

More than likely, if the species was released outside, it would die from weakness and exposure and not be as strong as natural colonies already there.

• Thunder_Birds likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#46 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2020 - 12:26 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Yes. They’re used to being pampered and spoiled.........
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#47 Offline FSTP - Posted March 10 2020 - 5:45 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Technically most my life I suppose and I'm going to be 35 this year. I collected my first colony from under a rock when I was about 8-9 years old. But I've only been continuously keeping ants and actively going out and collecting/founding queens since 2013. 

• Ants_Dakota and Thunder_Birds like this

#48 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 10 2020 - 5:53 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Sweet! Good for you man!

• FSTP likes this

#Ants4Life

#49 Offline Whitelotus - Posted March 10 2020 - 6:25 PM

Whitelotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley California

I have been doing this for about 3.5 years at this point.

• Thunder_Birds likes this

#50 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 11 2020 - 5:14 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Nice, about same. 

#Ants4Life

#51 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 11 2020 - 7:29 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

Yes. They’re used to being pampered and spoiled.........

Do you really think it makes much of a difference?

I mean I can see that with animals who learn behavior over a life time of experience but I would believe that ants are just fine.

In most setups their life isn't that different anyways they are more scavenger then hunters but if you throw in life prey you'll see they still got it. They don't care about the glass panels around them. lol

But that's a very interesting debate to be had

#52 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 11 2020 - 10:38 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I also really don't understand the debate, like you. I mean, isn't the queen underground all the time, and the ants will be different than the ones that were released originally in a few months. Is it that they expect to be fed? :D

• AntaholicAnonymous likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#53 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 11 2020 - 11:42 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
To them being fed is just finding a dead meal. They will try to bust out the setup if you don't feed them enough they'd raid your kitchen at any chance they get ants don't become dossile pets.

The ants would just keep on what they did their whole lifes they look for something to feed the babies. You can mess a release up by dumping them in a warzone with other ants or an area that doesn't supply the resources/living condition they need.

Other than that they'll go about business as usual

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antkeeping, ant history

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users