• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants as a permaculture food source?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 10 2020 - 11:12 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I have a friend who has a very large colony of ants that produce in his opinion, way too many offspring.

That has gotten me thinking...  Many of us who love keeping ants also love keeping other kinds of animals.  I've been thinking about how awesome or terrible it may be to keep a large ant colonly that produces a lot in a  large habitat with a bearded dragon or other reptile that enjoyes the same habitat conditions and will eat many, but not most, of the workers.

'

Has anyone tried this or thought about trying it?

I love the idea of creating permaculture systems that need little or no maintenance.  This idea isn't there, as i would have to provide the ants food and water, and I would have to remove their trash pile regularly, and the reptile would need other types of food as well, but it was my thinking about permaculture systems that led me to think about the feasability of this kind of "roommate" habitat.  Eventually I may figure out how to keep ants in a semi or even fully permacutlure habitat.

I'd love to discuss this with anyone else who may be interested in it.  I'd love to hear your ideas.  

• Martialis likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted March 10 2020 - 11:24 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

It's definitely interesting.

One thing might be to devise a way to provide adequate space for the ants' prey items, as well as for decomposers like springtails (Though that one sorts itself out fairly well). 

One of the problems is that it would require so much space—you'd almost need to fill half a room in order to contain everything the creatures would need to survive in a permaculture setup. 

I think using smaller vertabrates (i.e., dart frogs/some geckos) instead of a bearded dragon might be a way to cut down on the resources needed. Ants are apex predators of the insect world in their own right, however, so they might need a bit more.

A semi-permaculture setup seems like the most possible in my opinion. 

• BugFinder likes this
Spoiler

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 10 2020 - 11:37 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I've thought about doing this with Texas Horned Lizards and Pogonomyrmex badius, as both species can be found in Charleston, where I will be headed within the next few weeks to do a bit of anting. It's certainly an interesting concept though, as I've certainly put some thought into introducing colonies into my Giant Day Gecko vivarium.

• BugFinder likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted March 10 2020 - 11:40 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA
Martialis:  Good points, Its real interesting for me to think about.  I've been wondering about possibly creating a very large habitat someday that could serve a bunch of different roles, serving as a lounge area/seating area, mudroom, and an atrium that might have a few birds, a turtle, a koi pond, a variety of ants that don't sting, a small veggie garden in a raised bed.  I enjoy composting, raising composting worms, raising meal worms, and black soldier flies, and I have been wondering if I could integrate all of those elements into a room that I could use for entertaining guests, use it as a mudroom, and also play with/experiment with some of these ideas I have for a permaculture habitat.  I was thinking that doing a small amount of compositing in the raised bed would provide the ants plenty of resources if I weres shooting for a semi-permacutlure set up.

Does that sound stupid?

I've thought about doing this with Texas Horned Lizards and Pogonomyrmex badius, as both species can be found in Charleston, where I will be headed within the next few weeks to do a bit of anting. It's certainly an interesting concept though, as I've certainly put some thought into introducing colonies into my Giant Day Gecko vivarium.

What a great idea!!  I love horned lizards!!

Edited by BugFinder, March 10 2020 - 11:43 AM.

• Martialis, Ferox_Formicae and OhNoNotAgain like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users