• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica pallidefulva (Texas)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Offline William. T - Posted April 9 2015 - 5:12 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Idk why, that body reminds me of a camponotus.

Same here, but a closer look at the thorax reveals there are two bumps, which mean it is Formica. I read that on Alex Wild's blog, there is an entire article on the difference of Formica and Camponotus.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#42 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 9 2015 - 8:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Formica pallidefulva don't have much hair on their thorax, as opposed to all the other Formica of this color in that region.

#43 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 10 2015 - 4:38 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

But with a lot of pics I look at them, their body is all one color, while the one's in the video had a distinct darker colored gaster. Also most of them where quite red... 

Edited by Ants4fun, April 10 2015 - 4:43 AM.

#44 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 10 2015 - 4:50 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I'm not sure either. I see lots of different color variations with different pictures on the Internet. But I'm fairly certain it is dolosa or pallidefulva. pallidefulva can be slaved by other ants is the only thing I saw that was unique about them vs dolosa.

#45 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 10 2015 - 4:55 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Everything I read says they are very fast. They seem to be smart too. I had a glass lid on top of the container perfectly flush. One ant wedged himself between the glass and container then the others started escaping.

#46 Offline James C. Trager - Posted April 10 2015 - 5:05 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

These are indeed Formica, Crystals, either F. pallidefulva or possibly F. biophilica. They can be told apart by hair patterns that are not visible in these photos. Both species are very heat tolerant, the former most of all, occurring well into southern peninsular Florida in places where even a light frost is a rare occurrence.

#47 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 10 2015 - 5:08 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I was thinking about Formica biophilica because if there color.

Edited by Ants4fun, April 10 2015 - 5:09 AM.

#48 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 10 2015 - 7:50 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
C5E46C7B-AA39-4DA7-B752-4295F437E566.jpg
This is after one night!!! How big do these Formica colonies get?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users