• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis but which sp.?

ant i’d

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vern530 - Posted February 12 2020 - 12:56 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
Found this girl in Northern California today under a stone the workers look no different in color and size than solenopsis molesta but queen is very yellow and has distinct black stripe

Attached Images

• 9AA30ABA-890E-4D70-B534-DE9C2F63CCE3.jpeg
  • 7D066A34-E221-45B5-9671-CE2ADDB3FD36.jpeg

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 12 2020 - 1:52 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
No way to tell with these pictures. One thing is for sure though: she's in the Solenopsis fugax complex, in the molesta group. I would invest in a good microscope and put her though a key.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, February 12 2020 - 1:53 PM.

#3 Offline Vern530 - Posted February 12 2020 - 1:57 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
I’m more curious if any one has ever seen that black stripe
I’m pretty sure it’s solenopsis molesta

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 12 2020 - 2:45 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I would just settle with the ID of molesta group Solenopsis sp., because it is unlikely you'll get an accurate species ID for a subterranean Solenopsis in California when their taxonomy is still so unsettled. 

Side note, the fugax complex is an entirely separate complex from the molesta complex.

• Martialis, TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

#5 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted February 12 2020 - 3:40 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

There's actually no way to tell whether these are from the molesta complex, fugax complex, or another complex altogether. I'd just leave them at Solenopsis for now until higher magnification/better photos are available to run these through a key.

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#6 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 12 2020 - 3:43 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Looks very physcogastric, that's for sure 

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted February 12 2020 - 3:46 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Nope, that's a normal sized Solenopsis gaster. If she were physogastric, you could see the tergites stretching and the softer stretchy 'skin' underneath.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline Vern530 - Posted February 12 2020 - 3:48 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
All that is good info In all but in any ones experience have they seen the racing stripe she has on her gaster???? I’ve seen hundreds of solenopsis colony near where I found her and never seen a racing stripe on a gaster.thoughts???

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted February 12 2020 - 3:50 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Leave it at Solenopsis, even with a good scope and key a species level Id is going to be virtually impossible.

#10 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 12 2020 - 4:06 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Nope, that's a normal sized Solenopsis gaster. If she were physogastric, you could see the tergites stretching and the softer stretchy 'skin' underneath.

wow, that's crazy!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 12 2020 - 4:12 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I would just settle with the ID of molesta group Solenopsis sp., because it is unlikely you'll get an accurate species ID for a subterranean Solenopsis in California when their taxonomy is still so unsettled. 

Side note, the fugax complex is an entirely separate complex from the molesta complex.

Oh. I don't know what I was thinking...

#12 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 12 2020 - 4:21 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

lol, it's fine, we all have those days lol

#13 Offline Vern530 - Posted February 12 2020 - 4:23 PM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas
But what about the black stripe on the gaster?????????? Lol

#14 Offline gcsnelling - Posted February 12 2020 - 5:48 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Sometimes a black stripe is just a black stripe.

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 12 2020 - 6:43 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Very attractive feature though. Wish we had Solenopsis like that here.

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 12 2020 - 6:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Here, they have a black dot on the bottom of the gaster.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#17 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 12 2020 - 6:54 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

In ohio we have texana, carolinensis, and molesta, but you ONLY find molesta the other 2 are in the extreme south

#18 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 12 2020 - 7:29 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah, I see that on all my queens too. Sometimes on Forelius as well, but with workers.

#19 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted February 12 2020 - 8:23 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Yeah, I see that on all my queens too. Sometimes on Forelius as well, but with workers.

That's actually their crop, not an actual spot on the cuticle. It's easily seen on ants when seen through a microscope. It seems to be very apparent when I look at my Crematogaster minutissima and Camponotus castaneus. It's really only visible on ants with light colored cuticles, which is why you see it on such ants as Solenopsis thief ants and Forelius.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant i’d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users