• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How did you get into ant keeping?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 2 2020 - 7:00 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
All of us here are interested in ants and I wanna now how that came to be or the first time you realized how amazing ants are and maybe even what your first species was.

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 2 2020 - 7:09 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I watched an AntsCanada video. The first ant I ever collected was a Camponotus nearcticus alate, who later ended up escaping into my room, never to be seen again.

• AntsBC, AntaholicAnonymous and Thunder_Birds like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 2 2020 - 7:10 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I'll start.

When I was around 6 years old I was fascinated by spiders and everyone called me Spiderman in my neighborhood. lol

I even had groups of people watching me handling them and putting them on my face and I helped them with handling a spider for the first time.

I fed my spiders mostly with ants and I wanted to keep a supply at home so I decided to put some sand in a glass container and I put in like 40 workers.

As ants do they started digging and I remember watching them for hours on end just digging out tunnels. I was completely blown away from what I saw.
I thought OK it's time to put in a spider that would kill them all.

As you might expect that didn't go as planned and my favorite spider at the time got ripped into pieces and carried under ground. That moment of shock and amazement flipped the switch in my head that would later make me into an ant keeper.

And it was a manica rubida colony that did that. Took me a long time to figure out what exact species that was but now I have a colony of my own.
  • OhNoNotAgain and Ants_Dakota like this

#4 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 2 2020 - 7:11 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

I watched an AntsCanada video. The first ant I ever collected was a Camponotus nearcticus alate, who later ended up escaping into my room, never to be seen again.

I almost forgot about ants and then a couple years ago I've seen ants Canada for the first time too.
I had my first terrarium set up the same weekend. lol

Edited by AntaholicAnonymous, March 2 2020 - 7:12 AM.

#5 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted March 2 2020 - 7:45 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

The exact circumstance is lost in the fog of decades-old history, but I always liked watching ants as a kid, and I know at one point I got a cool toy formicarium, I THINK as a "freebie" that came along with a Japanese kids' magazine. But my ants were in the Midwest USA. I also kept ants in dirt jars. When I got older I kept ants in an Uncle Milton. I can't remember how many colonies I started by capturing queens - maybe 2 or 3 - and I did keep at least one for a few months in the Uncle Milton. It would've helped a lot if the Internet as we know it existed back then, but it didn't, and I accidentally killed off my colonies through neglect or stupid mistakes.

I got back into ant keeping ("oh no, not again") last year after successfully not killing off some isopod colonies and realizing I could buy California-native queens off people at this site. Otherwise I had been resigned to being stuck in Argentine la la land.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, March 2 2020 - 9:46 AM.

• Ferox_Formicae, AntaholicAnonymous, justanotheramy and 1 other like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 2 2020 - 8:15 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I got into antkeeping because antscanada vids randomly appeared in my YouTube recommendations. Stuff like this makes me believe a god exists...
  • OhNoNotAgain and AntaholicAnonymous like this

#7 Offline Broncos - Posted March 2 2020 - 8:23 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

I've always been into spiders and other random insects but my love for ants quickly overcame my love for spiders in 2016. Thanks to antscanada videos.

• AntaholicAnonymous likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 2 2020 - 9:02 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I watched an Ants Australia (now AusAnts) in 2015 and kept a few queenless colonies, then in mid 2016 I found a Formica pacifica queen. I still have the queen, and she has a thriving colony of about 2.8k.
  • Ferox_Formicae, ANTdrew, OhNoNotAgain and 2 others like this

#9 Offline PogoQueen - Posted March 2 2020 - 10:26 AM

PogoQueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
8 years ago I noticed these huge colonies all around my house with beautiful bright red, large ants. I wondered what kind they were as I had never seen anything like them before. I joined another forum similar to this one and identified them. Pogonomyrmex californicus! I’ve loved ants ever since.

#10 Online ANTdrew - Posted March 2 2020 - 10:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,413 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I've loved insects since I was a little kid. I was brought back to my first love of insects through my native plant garden. At first, I was focused mostly on bees and wasps. A couple of amazing books including EO Wilson's Journey to the Ants really intrigued me. There is a section in the back of the book with some tips on keeping ants. Reading that first planted the seed in my mind. I started researching different websites and eventually found all the amazing ant channels on YouTube. AntsCanada and Ants Australia had a big impact on me. I learned how to find queens and eventually found two Tetramorium immigrans queens in June 2018, both of which I still have.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted March 3 2020 - 3:03 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Seems like most of us got great inspiration from ant youtubers.

I think there's definetly room for more quality ant content. I gonna give it a shot as soon as I'm able to.

I think a series on some of the ant journals on here could be awesome if done the right way. We will see
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

#12 Offline Whitelotus - Posted March 3 2020 - 11:24 AM

Whitelotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley California

My parents purchased a gel ant farm as a Christmas gift one year as a child. I was not interested in ants at first but after a bit of failure trying to understand how to raise a colony as a child, my interest in them grew. AntsCanada secured Ant-keeping as my favorite hobby. 

#13 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 3 2020 - 2:06 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

AntsCanada had a pretty big influence on my fascination with the hobby, but that's not what started it. Before I started considering antkeeping, I was intrigued by the concept of a so-called "superorganism" (basically, a collection of individual organisms that function collectively as a single organism), as in colonial cnidarians, termites, and of course, ants. I saw superorganisms as models for a perfect or near-perfect society, and I was amazed at how well the inividuals within the superorganism cooperated with eachother. But then I looked back at humanity and thought "Man, this is a complete mess!". So that's why I wanted to begin antkeeping: to see if there was anything we, humanity, could learn from the ants. That one author from Proverbs wasn't kidding when he said "Look to the ant, you sluggard. Consider its ways and be wise!".

• ANTdrew, OhNoNotAgain and Ants_Dakota like this

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 9:00 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Just like my verse! Solomon was a truly wise man. I first got into ants while at a park. I have always loved plants and other insects since kindergarten. I noticed these mounds, and, out of curiosity, began to flip them over. Formica ants poured out. It was around July and they had been storing their queen pupa in these warm mounds heated by the sun. Needless to say, i began collecting them from that day on. i was never really into antscanada until maybe about 5 months later, when i was surfing the internet for info on ants, and i came to his home site. I enjoyed his videos on ants for a while, but I soon realized that they didn't contain the info that i wanted to know about my ants, so i drifted away from them. However, he did inspire me to begin to think about starting a business about ants(i am still working on that one, hence my name) Hopefully it will develop soon!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#15 Offline LaTun - Posted March 4 2020 - 9:16 AM

LaTun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

I got into Antkeeping by accident.
I was researching something about ants for a school project and then found out that you can actually keep ants. And was instantly hooked.
So I started researching, eventually found Antstore and then caught my first Queen (Lasius niger). I kept until 2000-3000 workers, then my family sadly had to move and I had to sell all my colonies.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#16 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 4 2020 - 11:21 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

I got into Antkeeping by accident.
I was researching something about ants for a school project and then found out that you can actually keep ants. And was instantly hooked.
So I started researching, eventually found Antstore and then caught my first Queen (Lasius niger). I kept until 2000-3000 workers, then my family sadly had to move and I had to sell all my colonies.

you know you can legally transport ants through countries and states in Europe right?

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 3:29 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Maybe they didn’t want to haul huge 2-3 thousand worker colony setups across who knows what distance?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#18 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 4 2020 - 5:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

(Air Conditioner + Ants Australia) * Initial love of insects ^ Antwiki

#19 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted March 4 2020 - 5:30 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ever since I was very young I have been interested in insects. I'd go out trying to catch praying mantis and other bugs. That has stayed with me ever since. About 4 years ago I watched this AC video and I was interested. that's how I started ant keeping 

• AntaholicAnonymous and Thunder_Birds like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#20 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:06 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Well, for me, Ants_Dakota, AntsDakota, and I went to school together, and they showed me about ants. In the summer, after the school year was over, I found my first ant queen, which I still have today (Is is a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony). So yeah, that’s how it all started with the ant thing. But, I have kept insects for most of my life.

• AntaholicAnonymous and Ants_Dakota like this

#Ants4Life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users