• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How did you get into ant keeping?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, for me, Ants_Dakota, AntsDakota, and I went to school together, and they showed me about ants. In the summer, after the school year was over, I found my first ant queen, which I still have today (Is is a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony). So yeah, that’s how it all started with the ant thing. But, I have kept insects for most of my life.

What is this cult. Can I join.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#22 Offline LaTun - Posted March 5 2020 - 1:11 AM

LaTun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

I got into Antkeeping by accident.
I was researching something about ants for a school project and then found out that you can actually keep ants. And was instantly hooked.
So I started researching, eventually found Antstore and then caught my first Queen (Lasius niger). I kept until 2000-3000 workers, then my family sadly had to move and I had to sell all my colonies.

you know you can legally transport ants through countries and states in Europe right?

Yes, I am aware of that, however, I didn´t really have the space for a colony that large in my room yet. I had more than enough on my hands with my 10 fish tanks.
So it was the easiest option, I still have contact with the person and the colony is doing great. They are producing a bunch of alates each year.

#23 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 5 2020 - 3:50 AM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I was "that kid" with insects in jars (I had a very nice weevil for about a year when I was the age my kid is now).
Always interested in ants but my parents never let me imprison any.

A few years ago I saw an Ants Australia video thanks to a FB add or something and was very intrigued, because this was not the "ant farm" of cliche.
But I had a toddler, and 3000 cats, and fish, and birds, and… I really couldn't justify obtaining more dependent lifeforms.

A few years passed, and the kid was 6 and in grade 1, and… at her school, the early years teachers give their class a name, like "turtle class" or "butterfly class" instead of being "room 6" or "Ms Smith's class", yes? And my kid was put in… drumroll please… ant class.
The teacher choses ants for her theme because she can use it to structure age appropriate conversations about working together, etc.
Me? I was, like… <rubs hands, cackling> "can I get the classroom an ant colony???"

​That was the beginning of last year.
I bought an Iridomyrmex bicknelli queen and workers, but the workers all wedged themselves in the pits of the ytong nest and died :(
So I was sent my Aphaenogaster chaos queen + founding workers as a replacement — although they were pretty well behaved in the classroom.

That pretty rapidly turned into more ants at home, because of course it did, and now ant class is over they're all at home.
Ants! Ants! And they're all mine!
<runs off cackling 
maniacally>

Edited by justanotheramy, March 5 2020 - 3:53 AM.

• ANTdrew and OhNoNotAgain like this

#24 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 5 2020 - 9:18 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Well, for me, Ants_Dakota, AntsDakota, and I went to school together, and they showed me about ants. In the summer, after the school year was over, I found my first ant queen, which I still have today (Is is a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony). So yeah, that’s how it all started with the ant thing. But, I have kept insects for most of my life.

That explains why our names are the same, fyi. Also, no cult, just similar locations. You might... well...be a little far away...

Edited by Ants_Dakota, March 5 2020 - 9:19 AM.

• Thunder_Birds likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#25 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 5 2020 - 9:56 AM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

:)

#Ants4Life

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 5 2020 - 1:31 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It’s called SoDAK.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users