• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What can we do to help native ant species struggling against non natives?!?!

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Broncos - Posted January 13 2020 - 10:29 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

I think pretty much everyone on this forum has had some sort of issue with non native ants. What can we do to stop them and what can we do to help native ants?!?!

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 13 2020 - 11:11 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

The only thing I could possibly think of to do is to raise up colonies of native species, and once they get alates, release them.

• Vendayn likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted January 13 2020 - 12:51 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
Not too much. Killing the invasives is a start, although good luck doing that with Solebopsis and Linepithema.
Spoiler

#4 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 13 2020 - 1:46 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

In California: if lush gardens and green lawns aren't your thing, I suppose you could xeriscape. But if your neighbor is busy watering twice a week then it probably won't make a huge difference.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#5 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 13 2020 - 1:48 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

On a larger scale supporting land conservation and natural habitat restoration would probably help in some areas.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#6 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 13 2020 - 2:28 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Not too much. Killing the invasives is a start, although good luck doing that with Solebopsis and Linepithema.

I know you meant to say "Solenopsis", but "Solebopsis" sounds like a hybrid between Colobopsis and Solenopsis  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted January 13 2020 - 2:28 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

You can collect queens of invasive ants and kill them, which could eventually improve the native species biodiversity in a very localized area if you're effective enough at it. On days where Solenopsis invicta have large flights I usually collect as many queens as I can (usually a few hundred) and freeze them.

• Martialis, AnthonyP163, SuperFrank and 1 other like this

#8 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 13 2020 - 2:31 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

You can collect queens of invasive ants and kill them, which could eventually improve the native species biodiversity in a very localized area if you're effective enough at it. On days where Solenopsis invicta have large flights I usually collect as many queens as I can (usually a few hundred) and freeze them.

Would invasive nuptial flights be a good source of feeders? I mean, you could get rid of invasive species and feed native ones at the same time.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, January 13 2020 - 2:31 PM.

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 13 2020 - 3:53 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I already said this, but I've had huge success with killing off argentine colonies. It doesnt do much against the population, but it creates little safe havens for natives.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 13 2020 - 3:54 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Would invasive nuptial flights be a good source of feeders? I mean, you could get rid of invasive species and feed native ones at the same time.

If your ants have a taste for invasive queens, then yes. Absolutely.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:27 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The only invasive species I have are from the genus Tetramorium, which isn't even THAT prevalent. I prefer to keep them as opposed to killing them.

Edited by AntsDakota, January 13 2020 - 4:28 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:38 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

The only thing I could possibly think of to do is to raise up colonies of native species, and once they get alates, release them.

No, you can not.

#13 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:39 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

The best option is encourage habitat restoration and reduce habitat destruction.

• TennesseeAnts, ponerinecat and ANTdrew like this

#14 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted January 13 2020 - 4:50 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

i feed the wild native ants in my area, and dig up the non native colonies and freeze them.

Edited by PacificNorthWestern, January 13 2020 - 4:51 PM.

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 13 2020 - 5:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Everything in an ecosystem is connected. The health of an ecosystem starts with healthy soil then continues up to native plants. Native plants are really the foundation for native insects. By volunteering at invasive plant removal events and helping to restore native plants, you’ll be helping all kinds of wildlife, ants included. Invasive ants predominate in the areas that have been disturbed the most, which usually means lots of non-native plants. In CA, I would definitely recommend xeriscaping with desert plants.
  • Martialis likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline Martialis - Posted January 13 2020 - 6:56 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Everything in an ecosystem is connected. The health of an ecosystem starts with healthy soil then continues up to native plants. Native plants are really the foundation for native insects. By volunteering at invasive plant removal events and helping to restore native plants, you’ll be helping all kinds of wildlife, ants included. Invasive ants predominate in the areas that have been disturbed the most, which usually means lots of non-native plants. In CA, I would definitely recommend xeriscaping with desert plants.

Socal at least. 

Spoiler

#17 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 13 2020 - 7:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I find that this doesnt deter Argentines much. The most you'll get in dry areas around here is Dorymyrmex insanus. I say, keep the area moist, and hopw for some Nylanderia to move in. They can create little goldmines of native species, as they can often get to food before argentines.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 14 2020 - 11:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I can't promise any miracles with native plants, but I think that is the best way to go from a conservation standpoint. Look at what all the big CA anters do on this forum to find native ants: drive out far from inhabited areas to where native flora and natural conditions persist without human disruption. Native plants aren't a silver bullet or some kind of magic, but if you fill a space with them, I can guarantee that diversity of all kinds of life will increase. I've seen it firsthand in my own urban yard. This is why I am constantly beating this drum on the forum.

• Martialis likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#19 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 14 2020 - 11:39 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

introduce tough native species to infested areas. for example, you could transplant solenopsis xyloni or geminata, which are both aggressive natives that can defend against argentines.  A better option, however, would be to collect and transplant a colony of a brood raider such as neivamyrmex, which could decimate invasive nests, especially myrmicines like megacephala or invicta.

Edited by Manitobant, January 14 2020 - 11:42 AM.

#20 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 14 2020 - 4:06 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

introduce tough native species to infested areas. for example, you could transplant solenopsis xyloni or geminata, which are both aggressive natives that can defend against argentines.  A better option, however, would be to collect and transplant a colony of a brood raider such as neivamyrmex, which could decimate invasive nests, especially myrmicines like megacephala or invicta.

The Neivamyrmex would almost certainly die due to being outside of their established territory.

• Martialis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users