• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

myrmecocystus mexicanus diet help?

myrmecocystus mexicanus honey pot ants diet help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vern530 - Posted January 7 2020 - 7:15 AM

Vern530

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationTexas

hey there so i have a colony of myrmecocystus mexicanus that i got from dspdrew and I'm having difficulty getting them to take a sweet carbohydrate source.I have sugar water in one feeder with blue food coloring and honey water with green food coloring and they seem to not be eating both...any ideas?they were eating fruit fly's like crazy but rejected last batch i gave them so i switch back and forth from meal worms to fruit flys.any diet info would be greatly appreciated or any care tips on this species in general.thanks in advance

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 7 2020 - 12:54 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

A sugar:water mixture of 1:3 (respectively) should be fine.  I typically use byFormica Sunburst and I have not used food coloring before, but many have without problem.  It is a colder part of the year, so they might not be as active with collecting food or sugars.  

As with any animal, a variety of foods is always your best option.  They will eat most insects just fine.

#3 Offline Superant33 - Posted January 7 2020 - 4:40 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
My honey pots are mostly dormant from November-March. Their food consumption goes way down. It’s normal. I still offer food, but on a reduced basis.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus mexicanus, honey pot ants, diet help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users