• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tanks Myrmecocystus melliger

myrmecocystus honey pot ants

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tanks - Posted July 16 2023 - 6:42 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California

I ordered a colony of Myrmecocoystus melliger colony and on 7/13/23 they arrived. I was happy to see the colony arrive safe and sound, they came with 4 workers, a gorgeous queen, and lots of brood! Once they had settled in I gave them a piece of mealworm and some sugar water. I am super excited to watch this colony grow and get repletes. As this is my first time keeping honey pot ants tips would be appreciated. Here are some photos, enjoy.

6F2D5E8.jpgFcUEiom.jpg

Edited by Tanks, July 16 2023 - 6:43 PM.

• Karma, Full_Frontal_Yeti and Ernteameise like this

#2 Offline Tanks - Posted July 17 2023 - 11:24 AM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

It seems that they enjoyed the cricket leg I gave them, and some of the larva began to spin their cocoons! I also gave them an out world with a sugar water feeder and saw one worker go back and forth with sugar water. If you flash light on the queens gaster you can see the stored up blue sugar water.  I'll send pics later

Edited by Tanks, July 17 2023 - 11:29 AM.

• Ernteameise likes this

#3 Offline Tanks - Posted July 18 2023 - 12:35 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

The colony is doing great! I'll most likely update this journal when something happens like if they get another worker. But for now here are some pictures: 

mQd4ouy.jpgGreAGb2.jpghI9rlEo.jpg

• Ernteameise and BleepingBleepers like this

#4 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 18 2023 - 2:21 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Looking great! (y)

Love the pictures!

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#5 Offline 100lols - Posted July 21 2023 - 9:47 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Subbed!

My M. Mimicus queen has had larva for awhile… waiting for them to pupate… can’t wait to see the timeline of how the brood develops for you! :)

#6 Offline Tanks - Posted July 21 2023 - 5:20 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Subbed!

My M. Mimicus queen has had larva for awhile… waiting for them to pupate… can’t wait to see the timeline of how the brood develops for you! :)

Does the queen have sand in her test tube? Also a bit of food could help, maybe you should try giving her a small drop of honey or a small bit of cotton soaked in sugar water.

#7 Offline 100lols - Posted July 21 2023 - 5:26 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Subbed!

Does the queen have sand in her test tube? Also a bit of food could help, maybe you should try giving her a small drop of honey or a small bit of cotton soaked in sugar water.

Yes, she has sand in there with her and I’ll try giving her some sugars. Thanks for the suggestions!

Upon further inspection, she has at least 3 pupae that have not spun cocoons :( hopefully at least one makes it…

#8 Offline Tanks - Posted July 22 2023 - 10:53 AM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Hopefully. That might be because the sand she has is wet so if she has some larvae still try giving her dry sand.

• 100lols likes this

#9 Offline Tanks - Posted July 23 2023 - 7:28 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

THEY GOT A NEW WORKER!!!

As soon as I saw the brand new worker I noticed how much sugar water she had in her social stomach it was super awesome to see. She's kinda like a replete but mini. This colony should have some more workers on the way, the queen also laid a batch of eggs. I also observed that they like to go to the outworld and gather sand to put at the nest entrance, and it's pretty fun to watch. Does anyone know how big the full sized repletes get? And for the people who have kept species of  the genus Mymecocystus what is your colonies favorite type of protein?6ws7MgI.jpgFl8MIjm.jpgb3k5GVB.jpglj3chae.jpg

• 100lols and BleepingBleepers like this

#10 Offline 100lols - Posted July 23 2023 - 9:05 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Looking good!

"Termites, scale and other insects, sap and nectar from flowers, and honeydew from aphids (Cazier and Statham 1962; Snelling 1976; Blom and Clark 1980; Hölldobler 1981). A general scavenger (Snelling 1976; Fisher and Cover 2007; Wehner 2020). Hölldobler (1981) observed M. mimicus carrying seeds." source: https://ielc.libguid...ts/honeypot-ant

I watched some videos and saw "LightsCameraAnts" feeding his honeypots red runners and fruit flies.

#11 Offline Tanks - Posted July 23 2023 - 9:08 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Thanks

#12 Offline Tanks - Posted July 25 2023 - 9:24 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

So I gave them another cricket leg and they ate some but not as much as I thought. The queen got a bit stressed out but other than that the colony is doing good, she also layed some more eggs. I will once again update this journal when they get a worker or if something else important happens. I plan on moving them into a mini hearth once all of their cocoons hatch out.

• 100lols likes this

#13 Offline Locness - Posted July 25 2023 - 10:01 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Very nice, looking forward to seeing a replete. The black exo contrasts well with any fluid.

#14 Offline Tanks - Posted July 26 2023 - 4:51 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Well, I wasn't expecting to update this journal so soon.

They got another worker! That brings them to a total of six workers. I didn't expect them to hatch out a new one so soon. When I first saw it it kinda looked like a ghost. Their test tube is going to be due for a change soon but hopefully they get enough workers so I can move them into a mini hearth before the water reservoir dries out. I also gave them a small piece of cricket because they have a lot of larvae. Here are some photos of the colony.wD3JZxG.jpgngDSBEl.jpgKNrndcq.jpgSbhdoLL.jpg3SBnX0p.jpg

• Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#15 Offline Tanks - Posted July 26 2023 - 4:54 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Very nice, looking forward to seeing a replete. The black exo contrasts well with any fluid.

Thanks, I'm also excited to see replete and I totally agree with you, their shiny black exoskeleton is really awesome

#16 Offline Tanks - Posted July 28 2023 - 11:43 AM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

The queen died guys, I'm sorry.

#17 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 28 2023 - 11:45 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

The queen died guys, I'm sorry.

Dang man sorry to hear that. It was looking quite promising. The workers and eggs were coming along and she just up and died? The heck?

Any thoughts on why?

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#18 Offline Tanks - Posted July 28 2023 - 11:55 AM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

I don't know I have heard about some queens just dying off so I think that's what happend.

#19 Offline kiedeerk - Posted July 28 2023 - 4:53 PM

kiedeerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
They were doing quite good. The only thing I see is that the queen was a bit on the skinner side. My Myrmecocystus queen acted like a replete once her first set of workers arrive and was bloated to the max with sugar water. Once replete workers arrive they started to take on that role.

Honey pot can sometimes do that. That’s the reason I bought a couple queens so my journal doesn’t just end due to random death. So far all three are doing fantastic.

#20 Offline Tanks - Posted July 28 2023 - 5:22 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

They were doing quite good. The only thing I see is that the queen was a bit on the skinner side. My Myrmecocystus queen acted like a replete once her first set of workers arrive and was bloated to the max with sugar water. Once replete workers arrive they started to take on that role.

Honey pot can sometimes do that. That’s the reason I bought a couple queens so my journal doesn’t just end due to random death. So far all three are doing fantastic.

They had sugar water almost 24/7 and once they got a new worker they kinda turned her in to small replete.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmecocystus, honey pot ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users