• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What's your New years resolution for anting?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted December 26 2019 - 4:24 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

I'm back!! What is your New Years resolution for anting this year?  Mines is to successfully find and found a formica queen past 10 workers.

• ANTdrew likes this

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 26 2019 - 4:36 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Mine is to start antkeeping  :lol:

• NickAnter and PacificNorthWestern like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 26 2019 - 4:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Mine is to start blacklighting in the spring to hopefully find Pheidole queens. Finding and selling lots of Camponotus queens wouldn’t be bad either.
  • PacificNorthWestern likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 26 2019 - 8:03 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I hope to get my business (and website) off the ground and hopefully get another colony of Trachymyrmex septentrionalis and try to keep them alive for more than a few months, along with getting a PPQ 526 permit to get some larger Attines, specifically Atta laevigata or mexicana. Keeping Cyphomyrmex rimosus alive for a while would be nice too. They're just so finicky and I can never quite get their humidity right. They just die so quickly without sufficient hydration. Seriously, I put a few individual into a petri dish and they were already dying after 15 minutes.

• TennesseeAnts, PacificNorthWestern, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 27 2019 - 10:15 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Mine is to get ALL THE ANTS.

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 27 2019 - 11:43 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

To ABSORB ALL NATIVE ARTHROPOD LIFE and start blacklighting FOR ALL NATIVE INSECT LIFE

• TennesseeAnts and PacificNorthWestern like this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 27 2019 - 3:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Oh, and I intend to try raising a bumblebee colony from new queens this spring to free range in my yard.
  • FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and PacificNorthWestern like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted December 28 2019 - 1:03 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

To keep more of the queens I find. Also to buckle down and finally BUY SOME DANG TEST TUBES! Seriously, I have in the past thrown out many interesting queens simply because I didn't have enough test tubes. As far a species I want to collect... Prenolepis imparis is still #1, but I also want some Myrmentoma Camponotus because my C. discolor colony didn't make it through hibernation.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#9 Offline Somethinghmm - Posted December 28 2019 - 7:11 PM

Somethinghmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Mine is to catch a queen of that small yellow Crematogaster(?) species that I found but decided to release. I'm so disappointed with 6 month younger me.

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 29 2019 - 10:15 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Mine is to sucessfully raise a polyergus colony as well as some dolichovespula maculata and vespula queens.
  • FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and PacificNorthWestern like this

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 29 2019 - 11:34 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Mine is to catch a queen of that small yellow Crematogaster(?) species that I found but decided to release. I'm so disappointed with 6 month younger me.

Yellow Crematogaster in Cali? That's probably C. depilis.

• Somethinghmm and PacificNorthWestern like this

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 29 2019 - 2:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yellow Crematogaster in Cali? That's probably C. depilis.
Blonde heart-gasters from Cali - what could be better??

#13 Offline Unfrozen - Posted December 29 2019 - 3:17 PM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

your guys are so cool i live in canada but mine is to try to raise my prenolepis past second year

#14 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 29 2019 - 4:19 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

your guys are so cool i live in canada but mine is to try to raise my prenolepis past second year

That's something i'd really like to do someday. There's not a lot of info about estivating them for the summer, but I have done some research. First, they don't build chambers above 60 cm in the soil, preferring to dwell in regions of the soil where the temperature is more consistent and cooler. Secondly, nests have been known to reach 3.6 meters deep (these nests are vertically oriented and don't project outward much). Thirdly, during the summer, the colony will reside in the deepest chambers of their nest and just loaf around with their repletes. I have at least 2 colonies near my house, and I also know that there's a water table a few feet down. I don't know a lot about soil, but I guess the temperature combined with the moisture (and maybe something else?) gets them through the years.

Here are some helpful links:

https://antwiki.org/...nolepis_imparis

http://entnemdept.uf...pis_imparis.htm

https://bugguide.net/node/view/27323

http://www.schoolofants.org/species/96

And of course there's the care sheet here.

I know this was kind of excessive  :lol:  but I hope it helps!

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, December 29 2019 - 4:26 PM.

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 29 2019 - 8:52 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That's something i'd really like to do someday. There's not a lot of info about estivating them for the summer, but I have done some research. First, they don't build chambers above 60 cm in the soil, preferring to dwell in regions of the soil where the temperature is more consistent and cooler. Secondly, nests have been known to reach 3.6 meters deep (these nests are vertically oriented and don't project outward much). Thirdly, during the summer, the colony will reside in the deepest chambers of their nest and just loaf around with their repletes. I have at least 2 colonies near my house, and I also know that there's a water table a few feet down. I don't know a lot about soil, but I guess the temperature combined with the moisture (and maybe something else?) gets them through the years.

Here are some helpful links:

https://antwiki.org/...nolepis_imparis

http://entnemdept.uf...pis_imparis.htm

https://bugguide.net/node/view/27323

http://www.schoolofants.org/species/96

And of course there's the care sheet here.

I know this was kind of excessive  :lol:  but I hope it helps!

Prenolepis have really deep nests in the wild, in captivity its hard to replicate that.

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 30 2019 - 4:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Someone should try a big dirt vase set up like Dspdrew has used.
  • TennesseeAnts and TheMicroPlanet like this

#17 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 30 2019 - 6:20 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Someone should try a big dirt vase set up like Dspdrew has used.

Or maybe a bunch of formicaria stacked on top of eachother with the lowest part next to a cooler or something. There'd have to be a long tube going from the top of the tower up to the outworld to simulate their position in the soil.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#18 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted December 30 2019 - 8:07 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Mine is to get as many colonies as possible. I would also want to found most desert species (Myrmecocystus, Pogonomyrmex, Novos, and Veromessor). I would also want to start selling more colonies.

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 31 2019 - 4:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Mine is to get as many colonies as possible. I would also want to found most desert species (Myrmecocystus, Pogonomyrmex, Novos, and Veromessor). I would also want to start selling more colonies.

Don’t over do it. Just one large colony is a huge responsibility. Don’t burn yourself out like so many others before you.
  • TennesseeAnts and spartANTS like this

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 1 2020 - 4:29 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I wish to by Pogonomyrmex occidentalis from Tar Heel Ants.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users