• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Does Michigan have ant species that collect seeds?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntJohnny - Posted November 6 2019 - 6:44 AM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMichigan Lower Pen.
I have been wanting to find a species of ant similar to harvester ants but I live in Michigan.

I have tried searching online and there is always so many results that aren't what I'm looking for or for different areas. And any time I search pretty much the main results are for harvester ants Wich aren't in Michigan. The past few days I have been looking it up when I have time and am able to but I always have stuff I need to do for the kids and work. If I can find any seed collecting species and species with repletes I would have most of the diversity of species in Michigan.

If anyone knows of a species around Michigan I would really appreciate it if you could let me know. Since hibernation had started already I am trying to get everything planned for spring to start the anting season right away.

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted November 6 2019 - 8:22 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Aphaenogaster, Pheidole and Tetramorium will all take small, oily seeds. Pheidole are the least selective of the three.  Sandy pecan cookies are a popular ant bait because they're so attractive to ants as food, and these three genera are pretty receptive to them.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 6 2019 - 8:35 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I know Pheidole bicarinata are pretty avid seed collectors, as is Tetramorium immigransAphaenogaster spp. don't collect as many seeds as the previous two species though.

• Martialis likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline Martialis - Posted November 6 2019 - 9:01 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I know Pheidole bicarinata are pretty avid seed collectors, as is Tetramorium immigransAphaenogaster spp. don't collect as many seeds as the previous two species though.

Yeah, Aphaenogaster are often important seed dispersers and spread myrmecochorous plant seeds (like bloodroot) throughout forests. They don't necessarily eat the seeds themselves, but rather the elaiosomes attatched to them. Aphaenogaster is fairly closely related to some of the true harvesters, however.

Edited by Martialis, November 6 2019 - 10:00 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this
Spoiler

#5 Offline AntJohnny - Posted November 6 2019 - 10:37 AM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I definitely went to catch a Pheidole sp queen I didn't find any this year.Aphaenogaster would be great to find too. So I'll try harder next year for them and at least one false honey pot queen. I had allot of luck with parasitic Lasious queens this year and Camponotus flew so thick at my house they were landing on me just walking out my door. I'm trying to have at least one species of each major type of ant species.

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 6 2019 - 12:12 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
You can also buy pogonomyrmex occidentalis, which are some of the most prominent seed harvesters from tar heel ants as they can be shipped throughout the country legally.

#7 Offline AntJohnny - Posted November 6 2019 - 12:51 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

You can also buy pogonomyrmex occidentalis, which are some of the most prominent seed harvesters from tar heel ants as they can be shipped throughout the country legally.

Those are really legal across state lines. Aren't they a slave raider species like the queen in my picture.

#8 Offline AntJohnny - Posted November 6 2019 - 12:53 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
The queen in my pic was a slave raider but I don't think she was fertile I caught her awhile back and she didn't live that long but I gave her Formica pupa and she kept them in a pile and stayed on them.

#9 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted November 6 2019 - 12:55 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Those are really legal across state lines. Aren't they a slave raider species like the queen in my picture.

No, they are not a slave raiding species, though they are sometimes semi-claustral.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#10 Offline AntJohnny - Posted November 6 2019 - 1:17 PM

AntJohnny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I looked them up at tar heels and debating on wether or not to buy them. It's fun catching queens yourself but when it comes down to it, it's raising the colony I enjoy. And they are $80 for a queen and 4 workers. So I'll have to think about it.
  • Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#11 Offline Martialis - Posted November 6 2019 - 1:22 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I looked them up at tar heels and debating on wether or not to buy them. It's fun catching queens yourself but when it comes down to it, it's raising the colony I enjoy. And they are $80 for a queen and 4 workers. So I'll have to think about it.

Don’t buy them
Spoiler

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 6 2019 - 2:16 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Mine are doing fine. I think they've been worth the $80.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users