• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

DDD101DDD's Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#141 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 15 2020 - 7:50 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

camponotus are so fun to keep.

• United-Ants likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#142 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 15 2020 - 8:51 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I can’t keep any known for destroying houses in case my parents recognize them and my brother will tell them :(
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#143 Offline Dmaculata - Posted December 15 2020 - 10:42 AM

Dmaculata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

you should be able to find something like Camponotus americanus, they are a pretty big, pretty looking Camponotus species that are not known to be destructive pests.

#144 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 15 2020 - 10:46 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

you should be able to find something like Camponotus americanus, they are a pretty big, pretty looking Camponotus species that are not known to be destructive pests.

I persuaded him to let me keep C. novaeboracensis, because they apparently exclusively nest outdoors. They are the only other species I can find, though. 

#145 Offline Dmaculata - Posted December 15 2020 - 10:49 AM

Dmaculata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

yea, americanus definitely aren´t the most common, not only do they nest exclusively outdoors, but they also nest in the ground, which is another reason why I really like them

Edited by Dmaculata, December 15 2020 - 10:52 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#146 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 16 2020 - 7:05 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

yea, americanus definitely aren´t the most common, not only do they nest exclusively outdoors, but they also nest in the ground, which is another reason why I really like them

I once found a castaneus worker, but that was like 2 years ago and I haven't seen them since.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#147 Offline Dmaculata - Posted December 16 2020 - 7:12 AM

Dmaculata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

castaneus are super pretty too, and yea also pretty uncommon. I have only encountered colonies twice I believe

#148 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted February 13 2021 - 11:10 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

2/13/21

I took this colony out today and started heating them. They've had about 5 deaths this winter, which is pretty good I'd say. There's a ton of larvae, so I'm expecting lots of growth this year from them. Already, workers are huddling around the heating cable, so now I can look at their larvae.

P2130771
P2130772

• Karma, ANTdrew and Fatatoille like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#149 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 13 2021 - 11:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Awesome! Good luck this season.
  • DDD101DDD likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#150 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted February 26 2021 - 7:53 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

2/26/21

So far, everything seems to be going quite well. I've actually under fed these in the last 2 weeks, and they've been doing surprisingly well. They've had primarily mealworms, but some fruit flies too(trying D. hydei instead of D. melanogaster this time). The larvae have grown a substantial amount, about 2nd instar by now. These don't seem to have the yellow tips the first larvae generation out of last diapause had. Below, there are images of the larvae (which are separated into 3 chambers). The pictures are in no particular order, with some chambers having multiple pictures taken(not in any order).

edit: just saw some eggs and took a picture so that's going to be at the very bottom. First eggs of the year for this colony.

P2260884
P2260883
P2260880
P2260878
P2260877
P2260876
P2260873
P2260889

Edited by DDD101DDD, February 26 2021 - 8:16 PM.

• Karma and TennesseeAnts like this

#151 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 26 2021 - 7:58 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Impressive!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#152 Offline Canadant - Posted February 27 2021 - 10:15 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Awesome journal! Thanks.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#153 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted March 12 2021 - 12:48 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

3/12/21

Honestly I'm a little scared at how much larvae this colony has. There's enough to cover half the nest(or more) at this point, and the ever increasing pile of eggs will soon hatch into larvae I think. On March 1st, I saw a few larvae with yellow tips again. I can't find them again though, it's possible that they were just buried somewhere. Some of the larvae are really huge, and I think I can expect a few majors in the next generation. I'll probably need to get a new formicarium soon. Also I haven't given them any fruit flies in the past week( the flies were infested with mites).

P3121044
P3121043
P3121042
P3121041
P3121039
P3121038
P3121037
Camponotus pennsylvanicusMarch1st2021
^here's the one with the yellow tip I saw on March first.

• Canadant, Karma, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

#154 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 12 2021 - 12:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Awesome!
  • DDD101DDD likes this

#155 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 12 2021 - 1:36 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I had a really long, well thought out post written, then like an idiot I went to the home page without posting. :facepalm: It went something like this (shortened, cause I don't feel like re-writing all of it):

Wow, that's one healthy, well fed queen! Impressive!
My Camponotus chromaiodes have a similar story- their brood pile spans 3 of their 4 nests, and the queen laid something stupid like 200 eggs about a week ago. The oldest batch of the year (laid in late January) hatched a little less than a week ago, and is only comprised of about ~75 larvae, but that's enough to fill their Mini Hearth and part of their Fortress. They're already running out of room, so I'm going to shell out the ~$150 for a Nucleus here shortly. 

I can tell your colony is going to need an expansion here shortly as well. I personally might get a Labyrinth for a colony that productive. How many workers do they have now?  Yours might even outcompete my colony if they keep that up!

• ANTdrew and DDD101DDD like this

#156 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted March 12 2021 - 3:13 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I had a really long, well thought out post written, then like an idiot I went to the home page without posting. :facepalm: It went something like this (shortened, cause I don't feel like re-writing all of it):

My Camponotus chromaiodes have a similar story- their brood pile spans 3 of their 4 nests, and the queen laid something stupid like 200 eggs about a week ago. The oldest batch of the year (laid in late January) hatched a little less than a week ago, and is only comprised of about ~75 larvae, but that's enough to fill their Mini Hearth and part of their Fortress. They're already running out of room, so I'm going to shell out the ~$150 for a Nucleus here shortly. 

I can tell your colony is going to need an expansion here shortly as well. I personally might get a Labyrinth for a colony that productive. How many workers do they have now?  Yours might even outcompete my colony if they keep that up!

Thanks, I don't know how many workers are in my colony but there are more than 55 but less then 90. I'm planning on getting a AC Hybrid nest (the Labyrinth is kind of expensive) for this colony in the future.

#157 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 12 2021 - 3:20 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Thanks, I don't know how many workers are in my colony but there are more than 55 but less then 90. I'm planning on getting a AC Hybrid nest (the Labyrinth is kind of expensive) for this colony in the future.

If you're going the AC direction, I encourage you to put a layer of sand down on the nesting surface, as C. pennsylvanicus really don't do too well in plastic nests.

• Canadant and DDD101DDD like this

#158 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted March 12 2021 - 3:22 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

If you're going the AC direction, I encourage you to put a layer of sand down on the nesting surface, as C. pennsylvanicus really don't do too well in plastic nests.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

#159 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted March 26 2021 - 3:16 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

3/26/21

On March 15th, I tried giving this colony some vacuumed sealed dubia roaches I got at Petco. Surprisingly they liked it a lot, and for a day they were occupied with trying to finish it. Due to the roach's relatively large size, they couldn't drag it to the nest and instead had to sort of dig in to it. A week later, I tried a small piece of shrimp on them, and they really liked it too, at least 10 workers were sent out for it.

Most of the larvae are now pupae, and I think some already eclosed, judging by the empty pupae cases in part of the nest, although I haven't seen any new workers.

A few days ago there was an abnormally large larva, it was also different in body proportions, as it was fatter and less long. Some people on discord have said it may have been a male larva. I saw the workers seemingly try to bite the fat larva but failed, it seemed that their jaws kept slipping off. At night some workers took the larva out while continuing to try and bite it. When I woke up the next day it had disappeared.

In the last day or so they've been playing Jenga or something with their pupae, judging from the way they're stacking them. I honestly have no idea why they're doing it. They've actually trapped themselves inside a chamber because they made a wall of pupae before. Later they broke it down and formed a new wall between the first chamber from the outworld and the rest of the nest. It is currently still there. The new eggs have also hatched into first instar larvae.

P3151050
P3181100
P3181104
P3251158
P3261192
P3261193
P3261195

Edited by DDD101DDD, March 26 2021 - 3:18 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Fatatoille like this

#160 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 26 2021 - 4:28 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Yeah, it looks like they're trying to kill it, so it might be a trophic egg that somehow escaped being eaten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users