• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

DDD101DDD's Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#201 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 17 2022 - 2:03 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

7/17/22

Currently, a bunch of pupae are eclosing. Lots of new workers are going to come soon, so I've started feeding them crickets. This generation seems like it won't have too many majors, which might be due to their diet of mostly mealworms thus far. I got fruit flies and crickets again though, so hopefully the next generation will be better. As usual, they love fruit flies but I don't even know where the flies are going. Same with the crickets that I've fed to them recently. They've just disappeared without a trace. Some small larvae are now present, so hopefully I can get 2 generations this year. The trash problem has only gotten worse, I definitely should've put some ultracal or something in the nest. There's at least 200 workers right now.

IMG 1911
IMG 1919
IMG 1918
IMG 1916
IMG 1915
IMG 1920

^the mess

I haven't put anything about my Lasius here in a while, but they had a huge die off during winter, with about half the colony dying. However it looks like they'll be fine. The third picture below is another side of the nest.

IMG 1836
IMG 1838
IMG 1840

I don't know if I showed my Prenolepis imparis, but here they are. Founded with 2 queens last year, one got killed by the workers early this year and currently they've stopped foraging, however they're still fairly active in the nest. I don't know how they keep growing their larvae, maybe it's because of the repletes. 

IMG 1930
IMG 1928

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis are actually doing pretty good now.

Edited by DDD101DDD, July 17 2022 - 4:34 PM.

• AntsDakota, Wegmier, OiledOlives and 1 other like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#202 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 17 2022 - 2:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Glad to see these colonies doing well. Keep up the good work!
  • DDD101DDD likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#203 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 28 2022 - 8:30 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

8/29/22

​Some pretty major changes happened, so this might be a little long. 

A few weeks ago, I finally cleaned the outworld. It took a few hours of picking out individual workers, but honestly it was worth it. They were climbing the fluon with ease; it was only a matter of time until they started escaping. I got some pictures that most closely show the colony's size, those are below, along with a picture of what their clean outworld looked like.

IMG 2232
IMG 2233
IMG 2235

Key word being "used to", they trashed it pretty quickly. I got a cool new liquid feeder for them from Byformica, and they drained it three times in two days. At that point, I just gave them a tube of sugar water, which lasted about a week before I started to refill the liquid feeder again. I honestly didn't believe it was possible for them to drink that much sugar water, maybe that's why their growth was kind of weird. They also made some tunnels, which is something I don't understand.

IMG 2359
IMG 2393
IMG 2670

Anyway, I thought everything was all fine, fluon seemed to be working for the first week or two, until they started climbing again. Maybe the fluon went bad or something, I'm not sure. Either way, they can still climb; however they're significantly worse, as flicking the plastic makes them fall off. They also started living in the other outworld I gave them, which you can see in the pictures below. The hybrid nest is trashed, only the queen, some pupae, and a small portion of the workers are hanging in there. I ordered a Tarheel Ants Nucleus for them, but I have no idea when that'll come. They also dug into their water tube.

IMG 2425
IMG 2668
IMG 2669

My Lasius neoniger are still amazing, but some workers seem to be getting out and I have no idea how. However the queen is just an egg laying machine, she made a chain of 4 eggs, beating out her previous record of 3. 
IMG 2672

The Prenolepis imparis have totally blocked off their entrance to the outside, which is pretty cool in my opinion. Repletes are noticeably smaller, hopefully they start foraging soon. 
IMG 2444

Honestly, the Camponotous are just a pain right now. For those of you with smaller colonies, don't be impatient for growth, it's not as fun as you probably think. 

I'm pretty excited for it to get colder, to be honest. 

• Wegmier, United-Ants and DRpepper like this

#204 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 29 2022 - 2:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sounds like you may need one of my CrematoProof outworlds for them. Large colonies of any species are a lot of work.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#205 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 29 2022 - 12:23 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Sounds like you may need one of my CrematoProof outworlds for them. Large colonies of any species are a lot of work.

Yeah, I didn't think they'd become so aggressive. It's a huge contrast with their behavior in previous years.

#206 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 29 2022 - 12:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You fed the gremlins after midnight.

#207 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 2 2022 - 8:28 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

10/3/22

This is probably the last update of the year.

In the past 2 or so weeks, the colony has doing nothing, just prepping for winter I guess. It's been hitting the 50s here, so it certainly seems like the right time for these actions. All of them are back in the nest, which is really nice, save for a few workers chilling out in the outworld. Pretty much the same goes for the Lasius. A bunch of workers decided to inhabit their (former) water tube, so it looks like I don't really have a way to give them water. I'm hoping they all clump together later, so I can remove the tube easily. I gave them a big glob of honey for their last meal of the year, so I'm hoping they fatten up a little more. 

IMG 3151
IMG 3152
IMG 3153

On the other hand, the Prenolepis are doing really well.

IMG 3161

• T.C., OiledOlives, UtahAnts and 1 other like this

#208 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted October 3 2022 - 3:14 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Nice colonies

Edited by AntsCali098, October 3 2022 - 3:14 PM.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users