• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants made nest in outworld

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#81 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:32 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Imma hook you up with a tutorial.
I gonna make a video when I make the next one.
Don't know if it's gonna look good yet but I gonna make something unique

#82 Offline Monarch - Posted October 30 2019 - 6:51 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

That would be awesome!

So far what i've learned from this experience is:

1) If you intend for an outworld, don't use so much substrate to where the ants will nest there!

2) For a natural setup, use enough substrate! Its hard to add more.

3) if you intend you use live plants, plant them first before adding the ants and even try to have them well established (rooted) prior to adding ants.

4) All and all, make sure the terrarium is very much ready before adding the ants.

• ANTdrew likes this

#83 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 31 2019 - 2:03 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Very true.
And very important is a clean up crew like springtails and isopods.
Things can get moldy and stinky real quick so you wanna have some help with the cleaning.
To avoid overwatering you can also do a drainage layer and I also have a layer of active carbon above the drainage to filter the water. The ants also use the active carbon pebbles and put it in and around the nest. Seems like they know what it's for

#84 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 31 2019 - 4:41 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
#5. Never underestimate how quickly a thriving ant colony can totally fill up a “huge” terrarium.

#6. There’s no such thing as too much escape proofing.

Edited by ANTdrew, October 31 2019 - 4:51 PM.

• DDD101DDD likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#85 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 1 2019 - 3:36 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Yea a good way of preventing them from attempting an escape is to always give them plenty of resources.
That's why the I have such a large tank and the floating island available for them cause I know they need a lot of space. And that's why I had to get rid of my lasius colony there was no way for me to keep them comtained they were many thousands.
Ants are opportunists and don't care too much about the boundaries we try to set for them. lol

#86 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 1 2019 - 3:38 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

ants are burying crickets for some reason, must be religous.  They dug out the top left sandy corner for...whatever reason (trying to appease me, their god?) And have started building a mound in the center.  

They may be trying to protect it, or are finished and are hiding it from predators who might steal it, or it may draw attention to their nest.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#87 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 1 2019 - 4:22 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

ants are burying crickets for some reason, must be religous. They dug out the top left sandy corner for...whatever reason (trying to appease me, their god?) And have started building a mound in the center.

They may be trying to protect it, or are finished and are hiding it from predators who might steal it, or it may draw attention to their nest.

Mine are burying them in the drainage layer I'm glad I have a ton of springtails down there eating everything up or id have a mold outbreak very fast

ants are burying crickets for some reason, must be religous. They dug out the top left sandy corner for...whatever reason (trying to appease me, their god?) And have started building a mound in the center.

Mine are burying them in the drainage layer I'm glad I have a ton of springtails down there eating everything up or id have a mold outbreak very fast
  • camponotuskeeper likes this

#88 Offline Monarch - Posted November 5 2019 - 7:08 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

I added some pill bugs but these ants are great hunters!  And they literally chase after them!  I've seen that once one ants finds a pill bug, they bite at it, the pill bug flees, then magically surrounding ants will join the first ant in chasing them.  Its like suddenly a pheromone is detected to join the ant! vivid!

I fed them a full cricket and some honey and counted the ants and did a speed count and counted at least 100 ants!  Populations are booming!  Also they have 2 nest points now (ant mounds)

I also saw some spring tails in the dirt :D

• ANTdrew and Roy3 like this

#89 Offline Monarch - Posted November 30 2019 - 6:47 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX
I added some dead leaves, isopods, ear wigs (which SOMEHOW, had babies), and a twin flagged jumping spider, Anasaitis canosa.  Apparently this spider specializes in hunting ants!  I have watched it stalk an ant, do some side steps before killing one!  I'm proud of this formicarium so far!  Still looking to add more dirt steadily.  I also see many springtails running around!

No idea how many ants i have but everyday the ants pile about 50 larvae in a stack near the nest entrance (on the right).

Any thoughts?

Invicta 1130

Edited by Monarch, November 30 2019 - 6:48 PM.

• ANTdrew and DDD101DDD like this

#90 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 1 2019 - 12:06 AM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

it looks beautiful, i can say that much

if those plants thrive it can only get better

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#91 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 4 2019 - 1:52 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I would actually recommend not baking the soil if you want to go a bioactive route. Just make sure you're not digging up any unwanted things like a rival ant colony, so just shift through it a bit. Diversity in the soil micro-biome is a good thing in the long run. Adding in springtails would be better than isopods, too. My Tetras just killed and ate all the isopods in their tank (along with every other living thing). Somehow, they coexist with the springtails, though.

Whoa, what kind of isopods? You may have just given me the solution to isopod overpopulation. My Tetras.... And here I thought I might have to start breeding dubias....

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#92 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 4 2019 - 1:55 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I added some dead leaves, isopods, ear wigs (which SOMEHOW, had babies), and a twin flagged jumping spider, Anasaitis canosa.  Apparently this spider specializes in hunting ants!  I have watched it stalk an ant, do some side steps before killing one!  I'm proud of this formicarium so far!  

That's awesome! I've been thinking of keeping a jumping spider recently but just couldn't justify the annoyance of raising bunches of little bugs for them to eat (esp. as my ants mostly treat fruit flies as trash, not food). I realize most other jumping spiders probably won't be really into ants, though. Still, what an interesting little world you've got there.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, December 4 2019 - 1:55 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#93 Offline Roy3 - Posted December 4 2019 - 9:04 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
If you have the money, check out the Rubber Ducky isopods. So damn cute.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#94 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted December 7 2019 - 8:47 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
If you wanna jump start a springtail and isopods colony you can add oats or rice grains.
I do that so when the waste increases I already have the cleanup crew to handle that.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#95 Offline Monarch - Posted December 11 2019 - 7:59 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

Nice!  my ear wigs had babies so that was pretty awesome.  My jumping spider keeps escaping so I'm trying to modify.  i think its desperate to create a nest higher up so i either need to figure out how to make a him for it to nest higher or set it free.

#96 Offline Monarch - Posted March 5 2020 - 7:28 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

Soooo i know i hadn't posted in awhile but i think my Ant terrarium has failed.  Everything was looking great but for people looking to do a natural setup, heed what I'm about to post.

So i kept up my regular watering and feeding but noticed that during winter, while my ants slowed down, my pill bugs kept working......and breeding....and advancing.  By February, i saw at many many many pill bugs walking around, even during the daytime (which they normally hide).  When i fed my ants their protein, such as crickets and worms, i noticed the pill bugs swarm the food and even bullying the ants away.  

What I'm trying to say, natural setups are great and having other creatures in the terrarium along with the ants are fun, but if the ant numbers are not prepared to defend their terf, they may struggle to get food and other resources.  Next time, i will allow my ants to grow in number before adding pillbugs or other creatures.  

• ANTdrew likes this

#97 Offline Monarch - Posted March 5 2020 - 7:41 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX
s invicta

So this is what it looked like February 16

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#98 Offline justanotheramy - Posted March 5 2020 - 7:58 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

It's pretty!
I'm looking for more things to safely cohabit with my chaos ants — they're loving their natural setup, but I don't see much of them.
And they bury any slow growing plants.

#99 Offline Monarch - Posted March 5 2020 - 8:16 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

It's pretty!
I'm looking for more things to safely cohabit with my chaos ants — they're loving their natural setup, but I don't see much of them.
And they bury any slow growing plants.

Yea they tend to do that!  The only thing i don't like about the natural setup is its difficult to determine what's happening with them.

Edited by Monarch, March 5 2020 - 8:20 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#100 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 6 2020 - 9:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Dang, man. Sorry to hear this. Is your colony still alive? Can you try to remove them for now, so they can recover?

In the future, I'd advise growing the colony much larger (at least 1,000 workers) before trying this. There's not a decomposer alive that would bully a full fledged RIFA colony.

• Monarch likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users