• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants made nest in outworld

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 12 2019 - 2:09 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

So while moving things aruond all the ants retreated to the nest thus allowing my to take a cup and remove the sand and mix it with some soil from outside.  I literally beat the dirt with a hammer and mixed in charcoal.  Literally beat it with a hammer.... mixed it in with the sand and dumped it in.  Found some pennywort growing in my backyard, ripped out and presto.  Going to the store tomorrow for some moss and some kind of fern and mealworms.
The white sandy area in the top left is where ants are nesting currently.

Any advice on what to add?

The soil should be sanitized from outside. Worms are disgusting, though necessary.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#62 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 15 2019 - 2:23 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Looks good.

I'm doing natural setups too and if you start getting mold at some point add some springtails and they'll deal with it within a day or two.

The substrate seems a little thin so if you water it too much it can start molding cause of the left over food.

If you put in more substrate you'd make it easier for the ants to regulate moisture.
I usually slope up the back for better vision.

Springtails are almost necessary in the long run they keep everything clean
  • Monarch likes this

#63 Offline Monarch - Posted October 19 2019 - 6:18 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

Looks good.

I'm doing natural setups too and if you start getting mold at some point add some springtails and they'll deal with it within a day or two.

The substrate seems a little thin so if you water it too much it can start molding cause of the left over food.

If you put in more substrate you'd make it easier for the ants to regulate moisture.
I usually slope up the back for better vision.

Springtails are almost necessary in the long run they keep everything clean

You are very correct !  I'm currently looking for springtails and pill bugs.  i added some more substrate from my backyard and will be adding more soon.  My ants recently moved to a different section so I'm try to learn exactly where they moved before i add more.  My plants though are growing great!  Fall is here so I'm assuming that's why i havent seen any spring tails or pill bugs. 

#64 Offline Monarch - Posted October 19 2019 - 6:20 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

Any advice as to how to add substrate without disturbing the ants?

#65 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 19 2019 - 10:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Maybe just sprinkle a bit at a time away from where you know their nest entrances are. I don't think it should disturb them that much especially as the colony grows. With my terrarium, when I sprinkle water on it the surface gets totally disturbed each time, but the ants just repair everything and go about their business.

• Monarch likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#66 Offline Monarch - Posted October 22 2019 - 6:36 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

Maybe just sprinkle a bit at a time away from where you know their nest entrances are. I don't think it should disturb them that much especially as the colony grows. With my terrarium, when I sprinkle water on it the surface gets totally disturbed each time, but the ants just repair everything and go about their business.

Awesome!  They moved to the center and abandoned that corner so I'm going to add more dirt and more plants.  Its been very cold in my room so i don't see them that often and the plants even seem to have slowed down growth.  I experimented with feeding them some fish food and cat food.  Interestingly they devoured the cat food but wouldn't touch the fish food. 

SCIENCE

I will upload more pics to my journal but it isn't very good looking with the new dirt added.

• ANTdrew likes this

#67 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 23 2019 - 6:38 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
What I like to do for the looks is to get some stones.
Not necessarily the round ones but those that look like a small mountain with sharp edges.

If you line some of those up and burry them a bit so they look like they belong in there then that'll look nice and the ants appreciate it as well.

I always burry the things I put in a little. It looks like it's been there for a long time and not so out of place if that makes sense.

#68 Offline Monarch - Posted October 23 2019 - 8:53 AM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

What I like to do for the looks is to get some stones.
Not necessarily the round ones but those that look like a small mountain with sharp edges.

If you line some of those up and burry them a bit so they look like they belong in there then that'll look nice and the ants appreciate it as well.

I always burry the things I put in a little. It looks like it's been there for a long time and not so out of place if that makes sense.

Do you have any pics?

#69 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 26 2019 - 11:12 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Sure I'll give u 2 pics.
This is my first terrarium I set up I did it with foam and silicone for the walls and tons of substrate and you gonna see a cave on the left that shines blue in the night.
The example of what I mean is best seen on the floating island above

Edited by AntaholicAnonymous, October 27 2019 - 3:29 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#70 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 26 2019 - 11:17 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

• Dnail and ANTdrew like this

#71 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 26 2019 - 11:19 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
As you can see the stones are supposed to look like big rocks sitting on there.

This hole setup is not completely finished and it's the size of a bathtub it's bigger then it looks here

#72 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 26 2019 - 11:21 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

That's what the cave on the left looks like at night. I got all kinds of creatures living and breeding in there

#73 Offline Roy3 - Posted October 27 2019 - 11:29 AM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#74 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 27 2019 - 11:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Magesterial!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#75 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 28 2019 - 3:22 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Thanks I gonna make another tank soon I got some crazy stuff in mind lol

#76 Offline Monarch - Posted October 28 2019 - 5:45 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

What the heck that looks amazing!  that's your first natural setup?  that's incredible!

#77 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 28 2019 - 6:20 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Europeans just win at everything.
  • DDD101DDD likes this

#78 Offline Monarch - Posted October 28 2019 - 7:01 PM

Monarch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTX

Europeans just win at everything (aside from TEXAS)

I think you forgot to add this ^^^.

Also I have 60 ants :D  (that i can count)

• TylrsAnts likes this

#79 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted October 29 2019 - 6:18 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Thanks guys and yea even the first time I used all of these materials. Now that I know how it's done I can do some crazy stuff. lol
I could even show you how it's done.
It's quite a bit of work but not that complicated

#80 Offline Roy3 - Posted October 29 2019 - 2:14 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Yes, teach us Obi Wan! :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users