• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

PSA: Dry Heat Sterilization of Coconut Fiber

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 29 2019 - 8:37 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I know a lot of people put dirt and other organic material in an oven to sterilize it.  This is a PSA to anyone who might put coconut fiber in an oven to sterilize with dry heat.

I did this today, and it auto-ignited at less than 400 F, which is a much lower autoignition temperature compared to regular cellulose (254 C [489 F]).

At first it smelled like a campfire.  Then, I got a delicious aroma of BBQ chicken (the smell was spot on, not even joking).  Not soon after this point, my oven was filled with smoldering coconut fiber smoke, which wasn't as much on fire, as it was just smoking.

I waited too long to remove it, and my house filled with an insane amount of smoke.  The high amount of VOCs indicates to me the presence of some volatile compounds in the coconut fiber which were liberated by the high heat, and may be responsible for the lower autoignition temperature.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 29 2019 - 8:41 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 29 2019 - 8:40 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

You really put your dyson to work. :lol:

#3 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 29 2019 - 8:45 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Just freeze it next time

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 29 2019 - 9:27 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Just freeze it next time

I was attempting to kill mold spores.  Freezing preserves bacteria and mold spores—it doesn't kill them.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted August 29 2019 - 1:11 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

On the other hand, if you love the smell of BBQ chicken but don't know how to cook it...

Edited by Antennal_Scrobe, August 29 2019 - 1:11 PM.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#6 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted August 30 2019 - 11:00 AM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member