• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

867 replies to this topic

#761 Offline Luckylegsluke - Posted August 15 2021 - 3:06 AM

Luckylegsluke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Just built this for my daughter's new messor barbarus
Just built this for my daughter's new messor barbarus

#762 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 15 2021 - 8:59 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
We can’t see the pictures.
  • KadinB and zA-Z0-9 like this

#763 Offline Domagoj - Posted August 18 2021 - 11:04 AM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Zagreb

POPULAR

I'm building these little things for my young queens.
They are roughly 80 x 55 mm, with microscope slide as cover (not installed in the picture).
They have a 12 ml water tower (mesh visible in bottom left chamber) and two ports for connection with outworld and possible future expansion.
rvpATsF.jpg

Materials used are grout (the thing for filling spaces between ceramic tiles; that's what you guys call grout, right? I'm asking in case there is some language barrier.) and modelling clay (fast drying school supply thing, I don't really like it it's hard to clean afterwards, which is visible in the picture) for modelling chambers. There is still some clay that I used to stabilize the water tower during the grout pouring and curing phase. I'm not sure if I want to dig that out since it's providing a nice guide for inserting the water tower filling tube.

Since the microscope slides are quite small (75 x 25 mm or 3''x1'') there are some gaps between glass and grout. I'll fill that up with some aquarium silicone.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and constructive criticism.

• Kaelwizard, ANTdrew, Boog and 11 others like this

#764 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 18 2021 - 4:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Looks good to me. In the future, you could try molding the chambers with wet sand to avoid some of the issues you describe with clay.
  • Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#765 Offline Domagoj - Posted August 19 2021 - 10:03 AM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Zagreb

I'll give it a try. I also have another idea I'll try out. I'll keep you posted on those fronts.

Meanwhile, do you think this residual clay could be an issue? Should I worry about cleaning it out thoroughly or it makes no difference?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#766 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 19 2021 - 10:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I don’t think it will be an issue if it’s safe for kids who eat everything.
  • Domagoj likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#767 Offline Boog - Posted August 20 2021 - 1:11 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

POPULAR

gallery_4140_1698_300148.jpg

I considered the initial grout, plaster, and vermiculite casting that I made from a food container a failure because it shrank after curing and was no longer friction tight in the original container I was planning to house it in. Then I decided to test out my newly acquired mitre box and sawed the casting at a 45 degree angle to see how it'd cut and to get a crosscut look at my casting pour. Eyeballing the failed casting in a new light made me realize I could carve into the angled cuts with a Dremel for some chambers and redesign them with an angled view into the nest chambers. So don't consider your failures as deadends, rethinking your formicaria build approach may end up with something better than you originally intended.

I lined the chamber walls and ceilings with Milliput stalactites with epoxied sand and left the floors mostly bare except a test layer in the middle chamber of the nest on the right above. I wanted to keep these as dry satellite nests so there’s no hydration system but I believe the respirating ants keep themselves comfortably humid. A few months in and my colony seems to love the coziness of the design as they seem so chill in these nests as opposed to the 3D printed one I also provided them at about the same time. Both nests have a screened hole in the bottom chamber for ventilation and I haven't noticed them chewing at anything inside.

gallery_4140_1698_33812.jpg

Edited by Boog, August 20 2021 - 1:33 PM.

• Kaelwizard, ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and 8 others like this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#768 Offline futurebird - Posted August 21 2021 - 1:20 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

POPULAR

I love the design, boog. It really makes the ants easy to view. 

I have a more humble submission. It's a simple plaster nest with a glass lid. You can easily add magnets too, but after placing the glass they didn't seem needed. 

I highly recommend these inexpensive 50mm glass discs from aliexpress. They are great for all kinds of nests. I want to make something similar out of wood as well.

ls1W6ub.png

1FCERpp.jpg

If you want to hydrate this nest you could make a hydration chamber, or simply put a drop or two of water near the edge of the glass to make it more moist. I'm still working on my "less wet nests, more water access" theory for a few species and this will be a home for a small lasius colony, connected to this cheap aliexpress outworld. 

Edited by futurebird, August 21 2021 - 1:24 PM.

• Boog, antdoctor, Antkeeper01 and 7 others like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#769 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 24 2021 - 9:55 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationOregon

Simple tub and tube setup I made using a $12 amazon acrylic box and some perfect cast. Added some fake succulents for some color.

med_gallery_5988_2063_2089984.jpg

• Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030, kmoore79 and 1 other like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus semirufus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole californica, Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel. 

#770 Offline kmoore79 - Posted September 6 2021 - 9:22 AM

kmoore79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHaonver, IN

Here are my formicarium's.

c. penn.jpg  

c.penn1.jpg

These are C. pennsylvanicus. that I got from Brian, thank you so much! The nest is made from Hydrocal, and they have an outworld, but it's currently being remodeled.

()

c.penn2.jpg

c.penn3.jpg

Another C. pennsylvanicus colony from Brian. Hydrocal and non-sanded grout.

()

F. sub.jpg

F. sub1.jpg

This is my Formica Sub colony that I got from TAH. However, I made a bigger outworld, because the colony is bigger and I needed the little outworld.

()

Crema.jpg

Crema1.jpg

This is my Crematogaster colony. I call them "almost", because my Wife almost stepped on the queen as we were going outside. Here I reuse the old outworld from my F. Sub colony.

()

c. disco.jpg

c. disco1.jpg

This is my old C. Discolor that I got from TAH. Sadly the queen died, and there are only 8 workers left, but I still love and take very good care of them. (Yes he sent me new ones, but they're in a test tube still).

()

mix.jpg

If anyone would like to identify the two gold ants I have, please DM me and I'll send high res photos.

Thanks for looking and everyone's replies that has made this hobby a dream come true. =) 

• UtahAnts and m99 like this

#771 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 6 2021 - 9:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Looks good. Put your heat cables on the glass to eliminate that condensation. A higher ambient temperature would also help, aka turn down the AC.
  • Moonant01 and kmoore79 like this

#772 Offline kmoore79 - Posted September 6 2021 - 10:26 AM

kmoore79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHaonver, IN

Looks good. Put your heat cables on the glass to eliminate that condensation. A higher ambient temperature would also help, aka turn down the AC.

I don't really have an option as far as AC goes. My wife likes it cold in the house.

#773 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 6 2021 - 11:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I don't really have an option as far as AC goes. My wife likes it cold in the house.
I get that. Try heating the glass, though, because that much condensation can cause problems.

#774 Offline Mandingueiro - Posted September 13 2021 - 4:17 AM

Mandingueiro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

While i am waiting for my queen Crematogaster scutellaris to start the colony i need to kill some time and I started building my first formicarium. 

I found an old aquarium dimensions 23 x 13 x 16 cm and i am going to transfer it into formicarium, nest and outherworld all in one. 

Materials i used is ytong. Outworld is still not finished, just in case i need to change something in the nest.  

Biggest whole diameter is aprox. 2.5 cm, and hallways from 0.5 to 1 cm. Depth aprox. 0.5 - 0.7 cm.

Any advice is appreciated. 

Here are the photos. 

IMG_20210913_102458.jpg

IMG_20210913_104703.jpg

IMG_20210913_122745.jpg

IMG_20210913_130400.jpg

IMG_20210913_132721.jpg

IMG_20210913_170855.jpg

Edited by Mandingueiro, September 13 2021 - 7:17 AM.

• UtahAnts, cap_backfire and PaigeX like this

#775 Offline cap_backfire - Posted September 14 2021 - 6:41 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

While i am waiting for my queen Crematogaster scutellaris to start the colony i need to kill some time and I started building my first formicarium. 

I found an old aquarium dimensions 23 x 13 x 16 cm and i am going to transfer it into formicarium, nest and outherworld all in one. 

Materials i used is ytong. Outworld is still not finished, just in case i need to change something in the nest.  

Biggest whole diameter is aprox. 2.5 cm, and hallways from 0.5 to 1 cm. Depth aprox. 0.5 - 0.7 cm.

Here are the photos. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_102458.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_104703.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_122745.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_130400.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_132721.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_170855.jpg

Love this design.   Love the idea for the brick usage.   Thanks for posting!  

• Mandingueiro likes this

#776 Offline Mandingueiro - Posted September 17 2021 - 1:30 PM

Mandingueiro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

thank you.

I've made hollows a bit tidier and added real plant to make it look more natural. 

Untitled.png

• Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 2 others like this

#777 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted September 17 2021 - 4:37 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I'm working on a hexagonal all in one nest. It's not quite done, just need to add some red sand and add the hydration tubes, but this is it for now. There's a small, medium and large nest, I'll start the ants off with the small nest and block up the bigger ones, and open them up as the colony grows.

image 2
image 1

I hope those images worked.

Sorry the photos are horrible

Edited by Leptomyrmx, September 17 2021 - 4:39 PM.

• Antkeeper01, Moonant01, m99 and 1 other like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#778 Offline skocko76 - Posted September 17 2021 - 11:05 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

While i am waiting for my queen Crematogaster scutellaris to start the colony i need to kill some time and I started building my first formicarium.
Here are the photos.

attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_102458.jpg
attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_104703.jpg
attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_122745.jpg
attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_130400.jpg
attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_132721.jpg
attachicon.gifIMG_20210913_170855.jpg

C. scutellaris are excellent climbers, arboreal. I doubt you'll be able to contain them in the aquarium due to the wide joints between glass sheets. Plan on crafting a double lid with wide edge - otherwise you won't be able to open the lid without them spilling out. By double lid I mean a lid with a relatively small hole in the middle. Then a second lid for the hole. You apply fluon or oil to the big lid. The small one can have a mesh for aeration. Also, hydration is not really necessary, so long they have a constant access to water in the outworld. I have a journal on them if you're interested.

Edited by skocko76, September 17 2021 - 11:08 PM.

#779 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted December 5 2021 - 7:19 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I find it really fun to make tiny nests. This one I made inside a toothpick jar, those ones with the rotatable top that opens up different holes. I can use those for hydration.
It's a plaster nest, I just used plaster of paris, since I don't believe we have access to Perfect Cast in Australia. If anyone can send me a link to somewhere that sells it with international shipping that would be appreciated.
Also a moulded the chambers with Blu-Tac, I think it makes it look really nice and a bit like some of the Empire of Ants nests.

Toothpick nest 1
Toothpick nest 2

Blurry photos. :/

Edited by Leptomyrmx, December 5 2021 - 7:21 PM.

• Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01, UtahAnts and 4 others like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#780 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 5 2021 - 8:11 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I find it really fun to make tiny nests. This one I made inside a toothpick jar, those ones with the rotatable top that opens up different holes. I can use those for hydration.
It's a plaster nest, I just used plaster of paris, since I don't believe we have access to Perfect Cast in Australia. If anyone can send me a link to somewhere that sells it with international shipping that would be appreciated.
Also a moulded the chambers with Blu-Tac, I think it makes it look really nice and a bit like some of the Empire of Ants nests.

Blurry photos. :/

You can buy tile grout at Bunnings that has mold resistance. Can be used for casting too. Also comes in multiple colours and pigments.

Edited by PaigeX, December 5 2021 - 8:13 PM.

• Leptomyrmx likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users