• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

869 replies to this topic

#221 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2015 - 10:05 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha, who expects to see detail through a translucent material? Did you think I meant transparent?

#222 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 5 2015 - 10:31 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The filaments are usually described as "clear."  The transparency of the material is dependent on nozzle size (larger is better), layer height (larger is better), and number of shells (limit to 1).  Completely optimized, the finished material has translucent properties.  Without any optimization, the level of refraction will be too great to yield any advantage over opaque.

Your writing seemed to imply that you perceived clear filaments to allow greater visibility of the ants than opaque ones.  And while this may technically be true, the difference would be so trivial as to provide no advantage at all.  For objects that are touching the material, you may be able to discern colors with ample lighting, but not shapes.

I was simply describing how clear filaments work.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#223 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2015 - 12:43 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Trivial in your opinion. I'll take translucent (which is the actual term for what you describe) over opaque.

#224 Offline BrittonLS - Posted November 9 2015 - 10:13 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas
Wasn't able to find it right this second, but I remember seeing a coating you could apply to clear parts to smooth out the curves and greatly increase visibility, I think it was from taulman.

Oh here it is http://3dprintingind...prints-taulman/

Edited by BrittonLS, November 9 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#225 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 9 2015 - 12:02 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Wasn't able to find it right this second, but I remember seeing a coating you could apply to clear parts to smooth out the curves and greatly increase visibility, I think it was from taulman.

Oh here it is http://3dprintingind...prints-taulman/

That is very nice.

Unfortunately, it is insanely labor intensive to get anything close to what they showed in those pictures.  Those must have taken hours.

You know how easy it is to scratch clear acrylic, polystyrene, or polycarbonate?  Now imagine starting with a scuffed looking piece like you scrubbed it with dirt before sanding and polishing it to a mirror shine.

I almost drove myself insane trying to make clear master models for casting reproduction.

And keep in mind, it isn't just the XTC coating or PET filament that are responsible for the end result.  The print settings—big nozzle diameter and layer height—also play a significant role.  It won't even work well with small nozzle diameters because of the tremendous backpressure created by the PET.

One more thing: you will never get a perfectly polished PET.  It's impossible.  Even PET film and sheets that come off the assembly line are not as crystal clear as acrylic, polycarbonate, or polystyrene.  They have a kind of watery refraction thing going on.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 9 2015 - 12:06 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#226 Offline PTAntFan - Posted March 30 2016 - 4:52 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Some shots of the $3 Tower units I've been using.  Crystals suggested I add a post here as well.  Need an outworld solution.  These Xyloni can climb anything.  Even glass jars lined with Fluon are being conquered.

3 Dollar Tower (7)
3 Dollar Tower (3)
twintowers
elevated Jar
1st Jar

Details in this post.

• Trailandstreet and cap_backfire like this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#227 Offline erdem - Posted April 10 2016 - 3:35 AM

erdem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTurkey

POPULAR

my formicarium

Attached Images

• P1010868 (600x800).jpg
  • P1010869 (600x800).jpg
  • P1010870 (600x800).jpg
  • P1010871 (600x800).jpg
  • P1010872 (600x800).jpg
  • P1010874 (800x600).jpg

• Gregory2455, ctantkeeper, AntsTexas and 7 others like this

#228 Offline Crystals - Posted April 10 2016 - 6:40 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Very nice, what is it made out of?

I love the setup.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#229 Offline erdem - Posted April 10 2016 - 7:57 AM

erdem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTurkey

Thank you. I used Ytong, wood and polycarbonate solid sheet. To combine them I used silicon and rivet.

• cap_backfire likes this

#230 Offline Barristan - Posted April 10 2016 - 8:42 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

A lot of nest space what species do you want to keep in it?

#231 Offline erdem - Posted April 10 2016 - 9:38 AM

erdem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTurkey

I'm not sure. I must keep species which consist of big workers and large colonies like messor barbarus. what kind of species can you suggest?

• minablasian and cap_backfire like this

#232 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 10 2016 - 10:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's pretty cool. I have been planning to make a formicarium sort of like that for a long time. I always wanted to use a fish tank style cabinet and keep the ant nest inside the closed doors of the cabinet below. What's the plan with the two different out worlds?

#233 Offline AndersT - Posted April 10 2016 - 10:36 AM

AndersT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Wow Erdem - I am in love with that setup. If I ever get a big enough colony, I think I'll have to try something like that as well! Really cool man.

#234 Offline erdem - Posted April 10 2016 - 10:51 AM

erdem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTurkey

I wanted to construct a wide outworld for ants, so I decided to divide my formicarium into two parts. I wondered about ants' behaviour in diferent style of earth concepts like forrest and desert. however, I haven't finished upper side of it yet.

#235 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 10 2016 - 11:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What's funny is I actually thought about stacking two out worlds to save space, except they would be for two different colonies. I would have both nests in the cabinet, with their out worlds stacked. I think that idea would just make too many problems and be too difficult to maintain though.

#236 Offline drtrmiller - Posted April 10 2016 - 12:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Nice Rube Goldberg machine :)

#237 Offline erdem - Posted April 10 2016 - 1:58 PM

erdem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTurkey

What's funny is I actually thought about stacking two out worlds to save space, except they would be for two different colonies. I would have both nests in the cabinet, with their out worlds stacked. I think that idea would just make too many problems and be too difficult to maintain though.

Thanks for pointing out this issue, Dspdrew. I constructed fomicarium's nest as 3 parts and put 2 stoppers (you can see them in triangles). However I can choose to keep one or two different colonies.

İf I choose to keep one colony, I must start in the first part of nest, after that colony becomes larger I can open second and third part.

But if I choose to keep two different colonies. I can open the second stopper and than keep a cataglyphis colony in the first part and a messor colony in the second and third part. But I think that keeping two different species in one formicarium can cause disturbing stuation for the ants although they are totally separated from each other.

I don't know what I will do. which way do you prefer if you were me?

Attached Images

• P1010869 (600x800).jpg

• TestSubjectOne and cap_backfire like this

#238 Offline Cypherf0x - Posted April 10 2016 - 4:04 PM

Cypherf0x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

That's pretty unique.

All of my working design files are on Github and final optimized 3d printed items are on my Thingiverse

If you need something 3d printed I'm on 3d Hubs

All of my designs are open source licensed under CC-Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International unless otherwise noted, but it'll be a rare exception.

#239 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 10 2016 - 4:13 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That's pretty unique.

Welcome back. :lol:

#240 Offline Cypherf0x - Posted April 10 2016 - 4:34 PM

Cypherf0x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

I've been a little busy and ants have been far down on the priority list for my time.  I'm in D.C. now working for a major contractor doing security assessments.  I'm just back from South Carolina at a nuclear plant down there.  I get paid to hack things, can't get much better than that.  :)

• dspdrew, Gregory2455 and LC3 like this

All of my working design files are on Github and final optimized 3d printed items are on my Thingiverse

If you need something 3d printed I'm on 3d Hubs

All of my designs are open source licensed under CC-Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International unless otherwise noted, but it'll be a rare exception.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users