• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nare's Ant Journal

pogonomyrmex occidentalis formica wheeleri camponotus pennsylvanicus journal ants

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 26 2020 - 3:02 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Ah, yes, I re-read your post and AC Omni nests are horrible for retaining humidity. For future refrence, THA (although more expensive) are amazing nests, and Camponotus do great in them. I would go for Type III, as Camponotus can occasionally chew through the soft Ytong. I have a 400+ worker colony of C. chromaiodes in a Fortress, and they're doing great, and Freya (their queen) just laid a massive clutch of eggs containing about 200 eggs.

Yeah I'm dishing out the money for a Type-III Museum Glass Fortress. Good to hear that you can fit that many Camponotus workers into one of those, I was a little bit nervous about getting one and then having to buy a bigger nest soon after for more space.

Keep in mind how cramped Camponotus nests are in the wild. Their galleries are fairly narrow.

• Nare likes this

#42 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 26 2020 - 3:03 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Camponotus colonies are like Chinese housing, they can hold a lot of people (or ants in this case) in a relativity confined space

• TennesseeAnts, Nare and Ants_Dakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#43 Offline Nare - Posted February 29 2020 - 3:49 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Update 8 (29/02/20)

Just wanted to give a quick update on the Formica wheeleri.

nbUvIP0.jpg

bYz2A5d.jpg

We7MCyW.jpg

pBvK4NI.jpg

v13vc6S.jpg

IAojrGL.jpg

RKN8cWe.jpg

tRuxz8L.jpg

XcjiAEl.jpg

RXH4juw.jpg

i1kovSi.jpg

qcPIMvF.jpg

IjJlb3W.jpg

One thing to note here is the very small worker that has appeared. It looks to be about 4 or 5 mm long, whereas most of the other biological workers have been 6 to 7 mm long, with some larger workers on the way. It should be noted that many of the very large workers in the images are host workers of Formica oreas. I speculate that this small worker might be part of some brood rearing caste, which would offer evidence suggesting that this colony of wheeleri are faculative slave-makers, which would be neat.

They've got lots of brood of all stages, and they love to eat. I'm excited to watch the colony grow, and can't wait to move them into a nicer nest.

That's it for now, until next time.

EDIT: Here's the imgur link for anyone who can't see the images in the post.

Edited by Nare, February 29 2020 - 3:50 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, rbarreto, AntsBC and 1 other like this

#44 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 29 2020 - 3:55 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

They look nice and healthy! I love parasites!  (y)

• Nare and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#45 Offline Nare - Posted March 5 2020 - 5:19 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Update 9 (05/03/20)

Just a quick update - my Formica aserva queen now has a little batch of eggs. We'll see if they develop as fast as my wheeleri's did.

#46 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 5 2020 - 5:40 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

my subsericea has had 2 deaths and are now down to 2 workers and i believe they ate their one egg... they make me so mad

• Nare likes this

#47 Offline Nare - Posted March 5 2020 - 5:52 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

my subsericea has had 2 deaths and are now down to 2 workers and i believe they ate their one egg... they make me so mad

Formica can certainly be finicky. For example, I have two second-year colonies of fusca-group, and though both came out of hibernation with around 5 workers, one colony has around 10 or 15 pupae, and the other has maybe 5. Both are in the same type of setup, both are fed the same types and amounts of food, and both are heated. Ultimately it's just down to catching a good queen I think.

• TennesseeAnts, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this

#48 Offline madbiologist - Posted March 5 2020 - 6:40 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOhio

Formica can certainly be finicky. For example, I have two second-year colonies of fusca-group, and though both came out of hibernation with around 5 workers, one colony has around 10 or 15 pupae, and the other has maybe 5. Both are in the same type of setup, both are fed the same types and amounts of food, and both are heated. Ultimately it's just down to catching a good queen I think.
Plus subsearicea are super polygynous, so in the wild, they probably found in groups of queens too. It's likely much rarer they'd found as one queen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#49 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2020 - 7:30 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Formica can certainly be finicky. For example, I have two second-year colonies of fusca-group, and though both came out of hibernation with around 5 workers, one colony has around 10 or 15 pupae, and the other has maybe 5. Both are in the same type of setup, both are fed the same types and amounts of food, and both are heated. Ultimately it's just down to catching a good queen I think.
Plus subsearicea are super polygynous, so in the wild, they probably found in groups of queens too. It's likely much rarer they'd found as one queen.

Umm. To my knowledge, subsearicea aren't polygynous.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#50 Offline Nare - Posted March 6 2020 - 7:10 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Umm. To my knowledge, subsearicea aren't polygynous.

I was under the impression that most fusca-group were polygynous, but I didn't combine my two queens cause I couldn't be bothered to ID them to species level, so I wasn't sure if they were the same species. Don't think they were. Tempted to try putting a couple of queens together this year, if I find any.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#51 Offline madbiologist - Posted March 6 2020 - 11:58 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOhio
Picture and video from a guy I know of his subsearicea.bf818e3a89bfad7ce4c12c1efb2811fd.jpg

#52 Offline Nare - Posted March 6 2020 - 12:05 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Picture and video from a guy I know of his subsearicea.bf818e3a89bfad7ce4c12c1efb2811fd.jpg

Damn, that's really impressive. A colony like that might actually work as a good feeder for parasitic colonies.

#53 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 6 2020 - 12:38 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Again, Formica subsericea (most fusca group Formica actually) seem to be pleometrotic, not polygynous.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, March 6 2020 - 12:46 PM.

#54 Offline madbiologist - Posted March 6 2020 - 12:39 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOhio

Again, Formica subsericea (most fusca group Formica actually) are pleometrotic, not polygynous.
Check out the video, they are polygynous too. The colony is a year or 2 old now.

Edited by madbiologist, March 6 2020 - 12:40 PM.

#55 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 6 2020 - 12:46 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Again, Formica subsericea (most fusca group Formica actually) are pleometrotic, not polygynous.
Check out the video, they are polygynous too. The colony is a year or 2 old now.

It is also possible that these are not F. subsearicea, but I see what you mean... Maybe there are certain populations of F. subsearicea that exhibit polygyny, as is the case with many other species.

#56 Offline madbiologist - Posted March 6 2020 - 12:52 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOhio

It is also possible that these are not F. subsearicea, but I see what you mean... Maybe there are certain populations of F. subsearicea that exhibit polygyny, as is the case with many other species.
I thought it was fairly well know that it was polygynous?

#57 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 6 2020 - 1:20 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I thought it was fairly well know that it was polygynous?

Well, lots of people like to call ants polygynous if the queens will get along, even if one ends up killing the other later on. We do know that Formica fusca is polygynous, but those are found in Europe.

#58 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 6 2020 - 2:40 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yes. Polygyne varies from species to species, even in Formica. Half the species are probably pleometrophic.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#59 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 6 2020 - 5:49 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Didn't you try it, AntsDakota, and find out that they were not? I feel like you did.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#60 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 6 2020 - 6:46 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
No, not that I recall.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, occidentalis, formica, wheeleri, camponotus, pennsylvanicus, journal, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users