• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Dolopomyrmex pilatus Journal [208] (Discontinued)

journal dspdrew dolopomyrmex pilatus

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 3 2015 - 2:00 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Sounds good.

#42 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 9 2015 - 6:47 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-9-2015

The one remaining queen is still poking around in its test tube. It lays an egg or two every once and a while, but just eats them or lets them die. I've been feeding it byFormica Formula 100. I don't know if it's eating it or not, but it's still alive so who knows.

#43 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 27 2015 - 10:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-27-2015

This queen is still alive amazingly. I moved her into a dirt box to see if that might help her produce some workers.

• Subverted likes this

#44 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 27 2015 - 11:21 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

How do you make these ant boxes?

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#45 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 27 2015 - 12:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

How do you make these ant boxes?

https://www.formicul...ated-7-16-2015/

#46 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 3 2015 - 12:22 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 8-3-2015

The last remaining queen died.

#47 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 5 2016 - 5:29 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I got to thinking about this the other day. This species stuck out as incredibly unique, and rather amazing.

I wonder if these queens would do better boosting them with brood from another ant. Doing the same species would be really hard, just because who knows where they could nest. Either that, or get lucky and find some workers to give her. This species seems like it would do great if got help with initial workers, then starting by themselves. I'm not sure what species could be boosted for them, but I imagine another subterranean based species. These seem to do horribly by themselves. However, I noticed the ones in the test tube seemed to do way better, until you put them in dirt boxes. They seemed to do terrible in dirt. Heck, even trying peat moss might work better instead...plus peat moss would provide a lot of nutrients. I'm pretty big on using peat moss these days for a lot of my colonies. Peat moss holds together well, holds moisture well and all my ants (even Pogonomyrmex) love to dig in it.

No idea if you'll find them again or not though, but if they are found in the area you got them, I imagine you could try again around same time. I just figured I'd post some ideas, if you tried again next year. That way maybe people can discuss different things to try to raise this species.

#48 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 5 2016 - 6:33 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm planning to try finding them again.

#49 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 6 2016 - 5:05 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

maybe the boxes are bad for them? the ones that moved into the boxes all died

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#50 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 6 2016 - 8:02 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

The ones in the test tube as I posted, did seem to do better. But they kept eating their eggs on him. I doubt Drew disturbed them, unless they are just an extremely sensitive ant (I have noticed subterranean ants tend to be a bit more sensitive to disturbances. At least from my experience). I think peat moss is still worth trying for at least a couple/few of them.

I have a feeling these would be VERY hard to get a colony going. No one even really seems to know if they need food to start a colony or not. Which the lack of information is just because they are a highly unknown ant for the most part. But, a tiny drop of honey could help a lot. Most ants love honey, even when they are a fully claustral species.

It be cool to see a colony of these get going though, I imagine they would be a really rewarding ant and fun to keep.

They kind of remind me of Army ant queens in how they look. I wonder if they could be similar in behavior, but strictly underground instead of raiding on the surface.

#51 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 7 2016 - 7:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There really weren't enough of them to draw any real conclusions.

#52 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2019 - 5:48 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Did you catch any more?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, dspdrew, dolopomyrmex pilatus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users