• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Nylanderia vividula Journal(Comeback!)

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#141 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 27 2020 - 10:00 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I said that as in it might not be a full male. It looks a little strange. Ill change the title.

2020 seems to be The Year of the Intercastes.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#142 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 29 2020 - 6:04 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just checked the queen I found last week. She still has her wings and zero eggs. Kind of disappointing.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#143 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2020 - 6:38 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Not a good sign. I only got 1 mated queen, and that is this one. The others I found didn't lay eggs, or if they did, they would never hatch. Mine was also found as a dealate, and removed her wings almost immediately.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#144 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted May 29 2020 - 7:02 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I said that as in it might not be a full male. It looks a little strange. Ill change the title.

2020 seems to be The Year of the Intercastes.

I had a worker like that too, although it was the first nanitic (along with several normal ones after). People seemed to call it a gynandromorph (had to google) which is a 1/2 male 1/2 female so a male-worker hybrid. It looks similar to yours with the shriveled wings. Plus gynandromorph sounds rare and cool even if it isn't actually one (I'm not an expert). I can post a picture if you want but I don't want to crowd your journal.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#145 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 30 2020 - 2:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Not a good sign. I only got 1 mated queen, and that is this one. The others I found didn't lay eggs, or if they did, they would never hatch. Mine was also found as a dealate, and removed her wings almost immediately.

Shucks. I figured as much.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#146 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 5 2020 - 9:46 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Here is slightly older video of them: https://www.youtube....?v=RZYCi5VG44E\

Another one: 

• Canadant, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#147 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 10 2020 - 5:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Bro!

I found a new queen last night at my black-light. Hopefully this one will work out.

• VoidElecent, TennesseeAnts and Froggy like this

#148 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 10 2020 - 5:53 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Nice! Hopefully she is successful!!!

• ANTdrew likes this

#149 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 5:01 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
That male without wings could possibly be an ergatoid male? Either way, it doesn’t look like a normal male ant, but I’m no expert.

Spoiler

#150 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 5:17 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

That male without wings could possibly be an ergatoid male? Either way, it doesn’t look like a normal male ant, but I’m no expert.

This is most likely just an intercaste.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#151 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2020 - 6:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just found two more of these at my blacklight! The one I found eight days ago still has no eggs. Are these polygynous?

#152 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 18 2020 - 7:13 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Dang. Found a Nylanderia terricola queen yesterday and she was dead today. I think I may have accidentally injured her.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#153 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 18 2020 - 8:29 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Another one: 

I know this is a late reply to this, and a little off-topic, but I need to ask.

How did you get the sugar water to have that color?
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#154 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 19 2020 - 5:36 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Another one: 

I know this is a late reply to this, and a little off-topic, but I need to ask.
How did you get the sugar water to have that color?
I would assume food coloring.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#155 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 19 2020 - 8:16 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, its just the sugar part of THA's ant juice. So it is basically pink sugar crystals, that you just mix in with water, and it becomes very red, and, I find that it is easier to tell when the queen is being fed, as I can just see a little pink. I can also see it in the new workers,which is kind of cool. Also, they have about 800 workers now. They also have about 200 eggs, 200 larvae and like 75 pupae. So, in about a month, they will completely outgrow this formicarium. Now I am debating whether or not to make the paludarium, and risk them walking into the water and drowning, or make  large hydrostone formicarium for them, one that they would not be able to outgrow, assuming they max out at 2,000 workers. And, they also have bout 5 more males on the way, which I think is pretty cool.

I would make it kind of similar to a THA Nucleus, but with some added touches of my own, like a natural outworld, with real plants. And I would also ideally add some spurge weed, as it produces nectar from little nectaries, that, I'm pretty sure allows it to be pollinated, so basically, an ant plant. I will add some more pictures soon. I might also add a design of the outworld. I may be able to get some nice glass outworlds, with tight fitting lids, hopefully perfect for this build. I am also curious to see if these could breed in the nest. I guess Ill have to wait for female alates to arrive.

• Antkid12 and TechAnt like this

#156 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 19 2020 - 11:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Anybody know if these are polygynous? Would it be worth combining them? I have three queens at the moment.

#157 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 19 2020 - 11:15 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I think it depends on the area. You could try combining two, and leaving the other alone.

• ANTdrew likes this

#158 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 19 2020 - 11:19 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Well, its just the sugar part of THA's ant juice. So it is basically pink sugar crystals, that you just mix in with water, and it becomes very red, and, I find that it is easier to tell when the queen is being fed, as I can just see a little pink. I can also see it in the new workers,which is kind of cool. Also, they have about 800 workers now. They also have about 200 eggs, 200 larvae and like 75 pupae. So, in about a month, they will completely outgrow this formicarium. Now I am debating whether or not to make the paludarium, and risk them walking into the water and drowning, or make  large hydrostone formicarium for them, one that they would not be able to outgrow, assuming they max out at 2,000 workers. And, they also have bout 5 more males on the way, which I think is pretty cool.

I would make it kind of similar to a THA Nucleus, but with some added touches of my own, like a natural outworld, with real plants. And I would also ideally add some spurge weed, as it produces nectar from little nectaries, that, I'm pretty sure allows it to be pollinated, so basically, an ant plant. I will add some more pictures soon. I might also add a design of the outworld. I may be able to get some nice glass outworlds, with tight fitting lids, hopefully perfect for this build. I am also curious to see if these could breed in the nest. I guess Ill have to wait for female alates to arrive.

Thanks!
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#159 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 27 2020 - 6:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Bro! One of my Nylanderia queens has a big egg pile now. I caught two more last night and put them together; they’re all lovey-dovey now.
  • Antkid12 likes this

#160 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 9 2020 - 7:36 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Poor quality nest overview. I think they have around 800 workers now.

Her Majesty. Needs a name BTW.

One Egg Pile.

The small larva pile

More focused overview

Edited by NickAnter, July 9 2020 - 7:40 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users