• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Exotic species

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Unfrozen - Posted June 26 2019 - 5:40 PM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga
In the future I would like to buy a big tank and buy and move in some exotic species (I live in Canada) where can I buy exotics species in Canada? I see alot of websites for Europe

#2 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:09 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

http://www.antsfroma...shop/4589082101

Expensive, but ship internationally and have great specimens. 

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#3 Offline Martialis - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:53 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

You can't. It's illegal to import ants from overseas in Canada, if I recall correctly. At least not without a license or permit.

Spoiler

#4 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 26 2019 - 8:37 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You can't. It's illegal to import ants from overseas in Canada, if I recall correctly. At least not without a license or permit.

Legal, illegal they are all just words really. He wants to know if he can buy them in Canada, he can, and usually they will arrive fine without anyone noticing. Before you scream at me I am just trying to give him a real answer. It can be done.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#5 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 26 2019 - 10:08 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
While I personally think some tropical species should be deemed eligible for import into Canada, it's still illegal and should not be condoned on this site.
  • gcsnelling, Canadian anter and Martialis like this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted June 27 2019 - 3:41 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
I just looked at that antsfromasia site. Its operators are about the least responsible ant vendors I’ve seen.
Not only are they selling literal termites (which can become established in other parts of the world), but they’re also selling invasive species. Anoplolepis gracilipes and Solenopsis geminata are two that he sells.

Edited by Martialis, June 27 2019 - 3:45 AM.

Spoiler

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted June 27 2019 - 4:57 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I just looked at that antsfromasia site. Its operators are about the least responsible ant vendors I’ve seen.
Not only are they selling literal termites (which can become established in other parts of the world), but they’re also selling invasive species. Anoplolepis gracilipes and Solenopsis geminata are two that he sells.

I highly doubt that this would be a problem in Canada. The buyer has to be responsible enough not to order species which might get invasive in the region he/she lives.

As far as I have heard (never order ants from the seller myself) the shop is trustworthy and does deliver what you order.

However if it is really illegal to import ants in Canada you shouldn't do it. It is not worth having to pay a fine if you get caught.

Edited by Barristan, June 27 2019 - 4:57 AM.

• Martialis and AntPhycho like this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 27 2019 - 6:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Here we go again...
  • gcsnelling, Barristan, Canadian anter and 5 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 27 2019 - 6:48 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
The easiest way to get exotic ants in Canada is simply check in greenhouses. I got a 7 queen tapinoma melanocephalum colony in one last week
  • Martialis likes this

#10 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 27 2019 - 8:00 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Legal, illegal they are all just words really. He wants to know if he can buy them in Canada, he can, and usually they will arrive fine without anyone noticing. Before you scream at me I am just trying to give him a real answer. It can be done.
This is the single worst response against something being against the law I have ever seen. "Murder" is also 'just a word'.

While I personally think some tropical species should be deemed eligible for import into Canada, it's still illegal and should not be condoned on this site.

Agreed. Though if my memory serves they have it is legal to import Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, assuming the exporter has a permit for some reason.
  • rbarreto likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#11 Offline Serafine - Posted June 27 2019 - 9:44 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Legal, illegal they are all just words really.

Rape, consent, they are all just words really. #bestdefense #fucklogic

Edited by Serafine, June 27 2019 - 9:45 AM.

• gcsnelling, Martialis, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#12 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 27 2019 - 12:32 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Legal, illegal they are all just words really.

Rape, consent, they are all just words really. #bestdefense #fucklogic

All I am saying is it can be done ;) . Saying that "you can't import exotic ants to Canada" is more of a #fucklogic statement. 

Ants & Formicaria

#13 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 27 2019 - 12:56 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
[/quote]
Agreed. Though if my memory serves they have it is legal to import Pogonomyrmex occidentalis, assuming the exporter has a permit for some reason.[/quote]

Yea that exception is so wierd. They exist in canada but if that's the reason it's legal then why not other species as well?

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#14 Offline dermy - Posted June 27 2019 - 12:58 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

In the future I would like to buy a big tank and buy and move in some exotic species (I live in Canada) where can I buy exotics species in Canada? I see alot of websites for Europe

You can't have anything fun and exotic for the most part in Canada. No Feeder Roaches, like Blaptica dubia. Here's some interesting things that can teach you a lot about how wonderful Canada is for Exotic Insects/Inverts!

http://www.inspectio...6/1528729097278

http://www.inspectio...9/1433209373489

I've also seen on a forum

http://www.edmontonr...-they-are-legal

This:

Dqn4JmG.jpg

To be honest, I don't think it's worth the time, or Money that appears to be involved. As they say, enjoy your Native species you do have the amazing benefit of being in Canada where we can ship provincially etc. So it's definitely not as bad as America!

I'm not very knowledgeable on this front this is just what I was able to scramble up quick. I know from my own experiences with "feeder roaches" that the laws are very "real" with exotic Insects.

Edited by dermy, June 27 2019 - 2:20 PM.

• Martialis, TennesseeAnts and rbarreto like this

#15 Offline Martialis - Posted June 27 2019 - 2:01 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

You can't have anything fun and exotic for the most part in Canada. No Feeder Roaches, like Blaptica dubia. Here's some interesting things that can teach you a lot about how wonderful Canada is for Exotic Insects/Inverts!

This:

Dqn4JmG.jpg

To be honest, I don't think it's worth the time, or Money that appears to be involved. As they say, enjoy your Native species you do have the amazing benefit of being in Canada where we can ship provincially etc. So it's definitely not as bad as America!

I'm not very knowledgeable on this front this is just what I was able to scramble up quick. I know from my own experiences with "feeder roaches" that the laws are very "real" with exotic Incests.

I'd hope they would be

• dermy and TennesseeAnts like this
Spoiler

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 27 2019 - 2:34 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

This:
Dqn4JmG.jpg

I'm not very knowledgeable on this front this is just what I was able to scramble up quick. I know from my own experiences with "feeder roaches" that the laws are very "real" with exotic Incests.
I'd hope they would be

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users