• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnts' Ant Journals (Everything Died)

ant journal antdude ants tennesseeants

• Please log in to reply
1106 replies to this topic

#1001 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 19 2021 - 9:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Awesome!

• TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1002 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 19 2021 - 9:09 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yeah! I'm really excited for them to get alates this year.

#1003 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 22 2021 - 10:26 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 2/22/21

Camponotus chromaiodes | colony #1

---------------------------------------------------

The large larvae are slowly pupating, one by one. A few of them stopped growing at what I would guess a male alate larva would be, but 2 or 3 are still growing and are about as large as their largest majors (15mm), and they don't really show any signs of stopping. Unless these are going to be some absolutely huge majors, they look like they might be female alate larvae! I grabbed some pics from today's feeding:

WP_20210222_002.jpg

WP_20210222_005 1.jpg

WP_20210222_007.jpg

Camponotus americanus | colony #2

-------------------------------------------------

The larvae have come out of hibernation for the most part, but there's still a few hundred that are still seemingly in the process of coming out. The queen is becoming physogastric like Freya, so I can only expect some large amounts of eggs in the near future! Their alates have been gathering in the outworld recently, so it looks like they're gearing up for flights. Kinda like a clock, counting down for the real flights outside. I also grabbed some pics from their feeding today:

WP_20210222_010.jpg

WP_20210222_011.jpg

WP_20210222_014.jpg

WP_20210222_016.jpg

Also, I apologize for the lower-than-normal quality of the pics. I lost my phone with the good camera under 6 inches of snow and ice in the middle of a 5 acre field, and I'm not sure where I dropped it. The snow and ice has melted, though, so I'll go out today in an attempt to find it... :lol:

#1004 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 24 2021 - 3:15 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 2/24/21

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis

-----------------------------------------

The colony has several larvae now, to go with their 150 or so eggs. I can try to get pics later today, but I moved them into a new, glass test tube so pics are possible now. They've just been eating fruit flies and mealworms lately, but some apple slices might be a good idea. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#1005 Offline Canadant - Posted February 28 2021 - 1:52 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Wow. Hello Ant Dude! Just realizing h this. Late to the party
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#1006 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 28 2021 - 9:09 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Wow. Hello Ant Dude! Just realizing h this. Late to the party

Hello, haha. Yeah, I suppose it might've been a good idea to put something in my signature, lol!

#1007 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 28 2021 - 9:17 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Ty Update: 2/28/21

Camponotus chromaiodes | colony #1
---------------------------------------------

Their eggs are now hatching, as are their older pupae. One new minor worker is roaming about their main brood chamber now, with several dozen more workers to eclose in the next few days before the younger pupae hatch. Their two massive larvae have pupated, and I now doubt they're females, but rather a couple very large major workers. Maybe this year's newest generation (the hundreds of eggs and small larvae) will contain a few alates? Their growth is surely to be exponential this year regardless.

WP_20210228_010.jpg

WP_20210228_009.jpg

WP_20210228_008.jpg

Edited by TennesseeAnts, February 28 2021 - 9:19 PM.

#1008 Offline madbiologist - Posted February 28 2021 - 9:23 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
Camponotus generally overwinter alates, so I wouldn't expect any until the end of summer at the earliest.

Edited by madbiologist, February 28 2021 - 9:24 PM.

#1009 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 28 2021 - 9:53 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Camponotus generally overwinter alates, so I wouldn't expect any until the end of summer at the earliest.

I expected they would, but maybe I was a little too optimistic, haha.

#1010 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 1 2021 - 11:27 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 3/1/21

Camponotus americanus | colony #1

They're growing pretty fast, actually. Their larvae are all getting very large, and some look like majors already! No pupae yet, but within the next week they should have a few hundred large larvae and pupae, as most of their larvae aren't even out of their hibernation-state yet, though they're getting there. The larvae all have dark blue stomachs, as I've been feeding the colony blue sugar water, so that's pretty cool to see, haha. I have been feeding them daily, and their appetite is about the same as Freya's colony, maybe a little more considering they have more developing larvae at the moment. The queen hasn't laid any new eggs yet, but soon I suspect. She is getting quite physogastric now, though.

Camponotus chromaiodes | Freya's colony

---------------------------------------------------------

Freya has laid 50-75 new eggs today, but they're white instead of yellow like the last batch... Interesting. In 6 years, I still don't know why that happens, but I'll do some research today. Their last batch of eggs (about 250) is hatching, and a ton of tiny blue-bellied larvae have emerged. A second new worker has hatched today as well, which is awesome. In total they've only lost 5-7 workers since hibernation, which is actually really good! 

• ANTdrew likes this

#1011 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 3 2021 - 11:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Here's a new video on a Camponotus subbarbatus colony:

• ANTdrew likes this

#1012 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 4 2021 - 4:35 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Today there was a flight of Prenolepis imparis, which I nearly missed. I collected 3 queens from a nearby nest that was releasing alates, and put them in a tube with some males and set them aside to do their thing while I grabbed 13 more queens and some workers from a neighboring nest for the next flight on Tuesday. My plan again is to keep the queens alive and healthy til then, and then repeat the process with new males.

#1013 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 8 2021 - 8:55 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 3/8/21

Camponotus chromaiodes | colony #2

There will be no further update on this colony, as I have sold them to another keeper here in TN. They will be well taken care of!

Camponotus chromaiodes | colony #1

They're still doing amazingly, though one of the huge major pupae did die. A few more minors have eclosed, dozens of eggs have hatched and Freya is still pumping out eggs! Right now they're eating 80-90 large mealworms a week... It gets expensive. Which why I've started breeding my own mealworms, and as of now the most recent batch has hatched, leaving me with 4-500 3-4mm baby mealworms, and more eggs are being laid. The colony is now occupying all four nests, with a small outpost containing 60-70 workers and a few dozen assorted brood items in the Discus satellite nest.

WP_20210308_007.jpg

WP_20210308_008.jpg

WP_20210308_012.jpg

WP_20210308_013.jpg

WP_20210308_014.jpg

WP_20210308_015.jpg

Camponotus americanus | colony #1

They're eating the same amount as Freya's colony again. Their appetite has slowly decreased as the workers fill up their reserves. The queen has slowly started producing again, and there's about 20 little orange eggs in the bottom portion of their Mini Hearth. A few of the males have died, but that's to be expected if they can't have a nuptial flight. They're doing really well, and I hope it stays that way. They're one of my favorite colonies as of now, probably third in line. I'll try to get pics of them tomorrow for y'all.

#1014 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 8 2021 - 8:58 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Also, ANTdrew, the C. americanus queen needs a name!

#1015 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 8 2021 - 9:09 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

What is your estimate in terms of the number of workers in Freya's colony? 80-90 mealworms per week is a lot....

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#1016 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 9 2021 - 8:13 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I would guess about 600 workers.

#1017 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 9 2021 - 8:37 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

What is your estimate in terms of the number of workers in Freya's colony? 80-90 mealworms per week is a lot....

at that point I would give them bigger foods.

#1018 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 9 2021 - 10:18 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

at that point I would give them bigger foods.

Once the Greater Anglewings start showing up at my light traps this year they'll have MUCH larger food sources.

#1019 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 9 2021 - 11:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Brood X cicadas are showing up in my area this summer. My ants are going to get THICK!

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1020 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 9 2021 - 1:25 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Same here! They're supposed to emerge by the billions. I already saw a few starting to molt into their final forms!
  • ANTdrew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal, antdude, ants, tennesseeants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users