• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnts' Ant Journals (Everything Died)

ant journal antdude ants tennesseeants

• Please log in to reply
1106 replies to this topic

#981 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 2 2021 - 7:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’d love to see a photo of the whole nest design, Dude.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#982 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 2 2021 - 10:44 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I'll take some later, but here's one I just got done carving:

WP_20210129_004.jpg
  • ANTdrew likes this

#983 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 4 2021 - 10:13 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Here's a pic of the whole nest, as per ANTdrew's request: 

WP_20210203_001.jpg

And a new video:

• BADANT likes this

#984 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 4 2021 - 12:07 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

not as big as I thought, but still awesome!!!

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#985 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 4 2021 - 12:27 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

not as big as I thought, but still awesome!!!

Yeah, that nest isn't too big. I added it last year as a quick addition before hibernation, just so they'd have more room. I added a THA Discus to their setup last week, and they're currently working on setting up shop there, too. They're already out of room in their current setup, and workers are nesting in the outworld now, so once this next generation ecloses they'll have no choice but to expand into the Discus. After that, I really don't know what I'm going to do for housing this year. When I got the colony in 2018 I never expected them to get this large... :lol:

#986 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 4 2021 - 12:50 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 2/4/21

Aphaenogaster cf. picea

---------------------------------

This colony is doing pretty well, actually. They've got about 35 workers now, with a considerable amount of brood. I'd have to guess about 45 eggs, larvae and pupae in total. All they've been taking recently is mealworms and fruit flies, with the occasional apple piece. I'm waiting for a worker to die so I can run her through a key, as I'm not so sure these are actually A. picea.

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis

-----------------------------------------

They've done extremely well this past week. For such a small queen, she really pumps out those eggs! They've got a large pile of about 65-70 eggs now, and none of her 50 or so hosts have died off yet. They've been polishing off an entire large mealworm every 2-3 days, and they show no signs of stopping. I saw all of the bio workers yesterday, and they're all still alive and fine. I'm just hoping the queen will stay this productive! She's really impressed me thus far. Still waiting for larvae, but it shouldn't be long now.

#987 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 4 2021 - 12:52 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Also, the last of the Formica integra died in hibernation. I'm actually starting to believe that I mis-identified them, as they never really did anything without hosts. I'm starting to think they were actually in the sanguinea-group, and that they were obligate slave-raiders. I'll run them through a different key this week, and I'll report back with my findings.

#988 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 4 2021 - 1:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Looks good, Dude. I just bought some Target food containers to make a big dirt nest for my Formica argentea. I’ll wake them up when I finish.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#989 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 4 2021 - 1:11 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Looks good, Dude. I just bought some Target food containers to make a big dirt nest for my Formica argentea. I’ll wake them up when I finish.

Thanks, and good luck!

#990 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 6 2021 - 10:46 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 2/6/21

Camponotus chromaiodes | colony #1

---------------------------------------------------

Freya continues to add to the ever-growing egg pile, and its now up to around 125 eggs. All the larvae are progressing nicely, most in the 3rd and 4th instar. More minor larvae have pupated, bringing the pupa count up to 20 or so, with an estimated 200 larvae still to go. Some of the larvae are twice the size of the others so far, and I suspect those to just be majors. If they produce alates, it will be later in the year from what I've read. Here's a pic of Freya herself trying to be an acrobat on the Fortress glass:

WP_20210206_002.jpg

Camponotus chromaiodes | colony #2

They've come out of hibernation with only one worker death (leaving them at 12 workers) and probably 10-15 larvae. I moved them into an experimental petri dish nest, and so far they seem to like it. I just need to make and outworld for them now, cause feeding them in the petri dish nest will be impossible.

Camponotus americanus | colony #1

-------------------------------------------------

She's done a good job so far, and her latest batch of eggs are hatching into teeny larvae. She's currently got 4 larvae and 10 or so eggs, but for some reason the larva she hibernated with hasn't really grown at all. Perhaps she's using her resources on the fresh larvae first? Anyway, here's some okay pics of her:

WP_20210205_008.jpg

WP_20210205_010.jpg

WP_20210205_012.jpg

WP_20210205_013.jpg

WP_20210205_014.jpg

• Canadant, ANTdrew and madbiologist like this

#991 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 8 2021 - 3:48 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Well, I suck. But not really.

So, I just spent the last 2 and a half hours digging out an enormous C. americanus colony. Mistakes were made. Among said mistakes are:

1. Collecting an enormous C. americanus colony.
  2. Doing it on a cold early Spring day.
  3. Not using featherweight forceps (you'll see why later).
  4. Not bringing enough containers (under-estimating how huge the colony was).

Now, lets talk about how miserably I failed! 

the first 6 inches/1 foot went smoothly, and I was comfortable with how large I thought the colony was. The first dozen or so chambers were easy to dig out, and each contained a few dozen workers and some brood. Only when I got to the 1.5/2ft mark was when things went awry. I found the queen's chamber, and I left it alone til I finished digging out the rest of the workers, so I wouldn't squish her (mistake!). After about 2hrs of excavation, it got cold. And it was getting dark. So I decided to try to hurry things up. I then starting digging into huge chambers stuffed with ants (including dozens of angry majors that wanted me dead!). I ran back up the hill to my back porch to grab another collection vile, and came back to grab the rest of the ants. Well, this was all good and efficient so far. After I followed all the tunnels to the chambers at the end of each and collected the workers and brood, I broke into the queen's chamber. I saw her as soon as I pulled back the dirt clod, and I grabbed her with my forceps. Me, not realizing how cold and numb my hands were, accidentally killed the queen when I went to put her into the container by catching her head on the rim and decapitating her. 

This has been: "Ant_Dude's Fail of the Week!"

Anyway, the good news is I have that one founding C. americanus queen, which was actually one of the daughters of the late queen, so they'll accept her, I'm sure. Worst case I wait til flights next month and snag a queen then, as C. americanus are secondarily polygyne. I'll grab some pics of this actually impressive colony once my phone is done charging.

• BADANT likes this

#992 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2021 - 3:56 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Ehh. Still not as bad as letting like 6 parasitic Formica go because you were too ignorant to realize they only need workers, not brood.

Edited by NickAnter, February 8 2021 - 3:56 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#993 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 8 2021 - 4:14 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Ehh. Still not as bad as letting like 6 parasitic Formica go because you were too ignorant to realize they only need workers, not brood.

I suppose, but still, lol. I'm in the process of introducing the new queen, btw.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#994 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 9 2021 - 7:15 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 2/9/21

Camponotus americanus | colony #3

They're settling in nicely, but they've filled the Fortess with several hundred workers still in the outworld, so I'm going to attach a Discus as well. Under the advisement of Madbio, I will wait a few weeks to introduce the new queen, as the previous queen's scent still lingers in the colony.

• madbiologist likes this

#995 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 9 2021 - 8:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Also, ANTdrew, even though I won't introduce her for a few weeks, the queen needs a name!

#996 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 9 2021 - 10:54 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Also, ANTdrew, even though I won't introduce her for a few weeks, the queen needs a name!

if the species if americanus, how about The mother or Americanus or is this a bad name

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#997 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 9 2021 - 7:54 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Alright, so I went out to where I've been observing a decent colony of C. americanus for about 3 years now. Just last year, I got to witness them produce their first alates! Sure, they were in small numbers, but they were alates nonetheless! Anyway, today I went out and dug them out of their earthen nest, and within 3 hours I had the whole thing excavated, and every last ant collected. The nest design was simple, with a central shaft leading to the surface and smaller tunnels jutting out and ending in large chambers. In total there were probably 12-13 chambers, 500 workers, 3 female alates and 10 or so males. The colony is actually very close to the size of Freya's, and is probably around the same age, too. I bet if I hadn't run out of feeders in mid 2020 Freya's colony would also have alates already, but there's not much I could've done. Here's some pics from (in chronological order) the excavation! 

WP_20210209_008.jpg

WP_20210209_009.jpg

WP_20210209_010.jpg

WP_20210209_014.jpg

WP_20210209_016.jpg

WP_20210209_018.jpg

WP_20210209_020.jpg

#998 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted February 10 2021 - 4:30 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

epic

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#999 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 10 2021 - 7:54 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

A video on the new C. americanus colony:

• BADANT and Wegmier like this

#1000 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 19 2021 - 9:00 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 2/19/21

Camponotus chromaiodes | colony #1

They're doing wonderfully! Freya has been laying eggs 'round the clock, and they're up to about 200 in the pile now! Some of those big larvae have pupated, but they're too small to be males, so they're likely just majors. There are, however, a few huge larvae about 3/4 as large as Freya, so they're either huge majors or some alates! I've got pics here: 

WP_20210217_004.jpg

WP_20210217_005.jpg

WP_20210217_006.jpg

WP_20210217_007.jpg

WP_20210217_008.jpg

Camponotus americanus | colony #2

They've accepted the queen, and she seems to be fine with her new subjects, haha.

WP_20210219_001.jpg

• BADANT likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal, antdude, ants, tennesseeants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users