• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Black-Lighting Public Journal

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 22 2019 - 3:32 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I pretty much never get Camponotus queens at my black light, just males like it seems you've found. I find that primarily small myrmecinae ants are attracted to blacklights up here. I catch a lot of Solenopsis molesta with my black light and things like that. I know things are entirely different down south though, and I usually stop blacklighting after 10 or 11 O'clock, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#42 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 25 2019 - 6:47 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Ladies and gentlemen, BLACKLIGHTING HAS FINALLY PAID OFF! After all of those times, I have finally found queens on my blacklight! Specifically, 2 Pheidole bicarinata queens (which is exactly what I was going for! :D)! Also, while I was typing this, I found another queen (I think it is solenopsis molesta, but it seems way too small)!
  • BugFinder and TennesseeAnts like this

Spoiler

#43 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 25 2019 - 6:56 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Actually, I think that solenopsis queen might be a temnothorax queen because I’ve seen a lot of temnothorax males flying around!
  • TennesseeAnts and ant007 like this

Spoiler

#44 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 25 2019 - 7:01 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
WHOO WHOO, just found a temnothorax cf. curvispinosus queen! Dang, tonight is the night!

EDIT: just found like 2 more. I think all the small queens are actually temnothorax curvinspinosus!

DOUBLE EDIT: I found another one, expect a lot when morning comes!

Okay, definitely no solenopsis molesta, these are wayyy to small. It seems half of them are temnothorax curvispinosus, while the other half might be temnothorax minutissimus? I’ve no idea.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 25 2019 - 7:31 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and ant007 like this

Spoiler

#45 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 25 2019 - 8:28 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Alright, I’m heading up for the night because I got really freaked out by a group of coyotes. I saw them about an acre away and they were “laughing”. Ohhh it made me shiver. Good news though, I’m comin’ back with 2 Pheidole queens and like 7 or 8 Temnohorax queens!

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 26 2019 - 3:47 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Jadeninja9 and ant007 like this

Spoiler

#46 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 4:40 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Last night I blacklighted and got 2 Solenopsis sp. queens, 18 or so Temnothorax queens, 12 Pheidole tysoni and bicarinata queens, and about 15 Colobopsis impressa, obliqua and mississippiensis queens!

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 26 2019 - 4:41 AM.

• ant007 likes this

#47 Offline Martialis - Posted June 26 2019 - 4:46 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
Try hanging the sheet instead of letting it sit on the ground.

Not too much flew around me last night. I only got one S. Molesta queen.

But yours were at 11, too? I find that fairly interesting... I had seen only one hynenopteran up until that time, and it was only at about 10:50-11 when the Hymenoptera decided to show up!

Edited by Martialis, June 26 2019 - 4:48 AM.

• gcsnelling and TennesseeAnts like this
Spoiler

#48 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 4:48 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I agree with Marti. It is more effective and you don't need to be bent over all the time. :lol:

#49 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 5:09 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Try hanging the sheet instead of letting it sit on the ground.

Not too much flew around me last night. I only got one S. Molesta queen.

But yours were at 11, too? I find that fairly interesting... I had seen only one hynenopteran up until that time, and it was only at about 10:50-11 when the Hymenoptera decided to show up!

Ya, I probably should hang it up. I’ve got two piece lights, and my blacklight sits on the ground in between them. I could just hang it up on the wall. I’ll be sure to try that next time!

Spoiler

#50 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 5:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Tonight should be good for flights.

#51 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:11 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Tonight should be good for flights.

I was actually planning on heading out! Feel free to post about what you guys find here tonight (or any night)! :D
  • Martialis and TennesseeAnts like this

Spoiler

#52 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:53 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Oh! I forgot. I found two Solenopsis queens while at a swim meet at 7:30 last night.

#53 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 26 2019 - 8:43 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
As in theif ants?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#54 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 8:45 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I believe these are Solenopsis carolinensis, so yes.

#55 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 6:20 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Well, I went out for about an hour right before it started to thunderstorm. I found lots of temnothorax curvispinosus queens, and what appears to be a Colobopsis queen (she’s all black)! I found another Pheidole bicarinata, but she was missing her gaster, .~.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 26 2019 - 6:24 PM.

• ant007 likes this

Spoiler

#56 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 6:33 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
It’s confirmed, I found a COLOBOPSIS queen! Does this species get majors and minors (are they dimorphic)? I didn’t even think we had this genus, but I guess we do!

Spoiler

#57 Offline kounelus - Posted June 26 2019 - 6:37 PM

kounelus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana

So where are you guys going to try to black light? And how do you avoid breathing the bugs constantly, haha.

• Martialis likes this

#58 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 6:53 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

So where are you guys going to try to black light? And how do you avoid breathing the bugs constantly, haha.

I live in an area that is surrounded by woods, so I simply sit on my patio, turn on my porch lights, place the blacklight beneath the porch lights, and wait. For some reason, when I have the porch lights on right next to the blacklight, it seems like all of the bad bugs are steered towards the porch light, while all the queens swarm the blacklight.

EDIT: also, that Colobopsis queen has been roughly identified as C. mississippiensis (or however the heck you spell it :lol:). I’ve also done a rough count, and totaled 5 temnothorax curvispinosus queens.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 26 2019 - 6:55 PM.

• Martialis and TennesseeAnts like this

Spoiler

#59 Offline Martialis - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:10 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I'm blacklighting, too! Three Camponotus (including C. pennsylvanicus and C. castraeneus), Solenopsis molesta, and what seems to be Lasius interjectus are all flying up north in central Indy!

Spoiler

#60 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:45 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I'm blacklighting, too! Three Camponotus (including C. pennsylvanicus and C. castraeneus), Solenopsis molesta, and what seems to be Lasius interjectus are all flying up north in central Indy!

That’s great! I think antdude is also out blacklighting tonight! I would still be out there if it wasn’t storming :lol:. Congrats on those queens though :D!

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 26 2019 - 7:45 PM.

• Martialis likes this

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users