• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Black-Lighting Public Journal

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntPhycho - Posted May 28 2019 - 8:35 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Maybe try to hang your light over a large container with walls covered in barrier?  :thinking:

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#22 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 29 2019 - 4:41 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Maybe try to hang your light over a large container with walls covered in barrier? :thinking:

I was thinking exactly that! :D I also thought about putting a tub of water under it, or a bucket and funnel.

Spoiler

#23 Offline Psythe - Posted June 7 2019 - 8:30 PM

Psythe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So haven’t had any with the black light yet? Only used it twice so far?

#24 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 7 2019 - 9:03 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes I would love an update on these tests.  (y)

• ant007 likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#25 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 8 2019 - 3:54 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I will update when I go blacklighting on “hopefully” Monday! It’s been raining and the temps haven’t been right for the last week and a half. Plus, I have to work and my parents won’t let me stay up on the previous nights of the day that I work. The weather this week doesn’t seem like it’s going to be very good either. At night, it’s going to drop into the 50’s. What do you guys recomend as a good humidity/temp to go blacklighting?

Spoiler

#26 Offline Martialis - Posted June 8 2019 - 12:08 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

A good rule of thumb is to blacklight any night when it's above 70 and 50% humidity.  Additionally, set it up about twenty to thirty minutes before sunset. This serves to maximise time for blacklighting.

• TennesseeAnts, Acutus and ant007 like this
Spoiler

#27 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 9 2019 - 3:10 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Thxs!

Spoiler

#28 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 9 2019 - 1:34 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Alright, I’m heading out tonight! It just rained this morning and stopped at 2:00. It is going to stay in the low 70’s (in terms of degrees), and the humidity is 84%. Do you think I will find anything? I’m kind of hoping to maybe catch some late Camponotus flights or some early Temnothorax flights (since I know the alates are ready).

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 9 2019 - 1:34 PM.

Spoiler

#29 Offline Psythe - Posted June 9 2019 - 2:26 PM

Psythe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Good luck! Eager to hear how it goes.

#30 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 9 2019 - 6:10 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
No wonder there’s no bugs, these little suckers keep eating all of my business. They obviously figured out that the blacklight is a feast! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 9 2019 - 6:13 PM.

• Canadian anter, Scherme, AntPhycho and 4 others like this

Spoiler

#31 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 9 2019 - 7:35 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No wonder there’s no bugs, these little suckers keep eating all of my business. They obviously figured out that the blacklight is a feast! :lol:

Frog legs are good protein.  (y)

• ant007 likes this

Ants & Formicaria

#32 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 9 2019 - 7:46 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Frog legs are good protein. (y)

I’m not that mean! :lol:

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 9 2019 - 7:47 PM.

Spoiler

#33 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 9 2019 - 7:49 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I think I’m going to call it quits. It’s almost midnight and I haven’t seen anything. I’ll just take the Lasius interjectus I found earlier and be happy!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#34 Offline Psythe - Posted June 10 2019 - 8:25 AM

Psythe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Good luck with the interjectus. Wish mine would have worked out.

#35 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 10 2019 - 10:17 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Good luck with the interjectus. Wish mine would have worked out.

Thxs!

Spoiler

#36 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 19 2019 - 5:08 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Welp, I went out last night blacklighting and found a tapinoma sessile queen (I didn’t want it), and many Camponotus castaneus males. In the morning, there was a HUGE tetramorium immigrans flight, but I also didn’t really want to catch any of those. I’m heading out again tonight, in hopes of finding pheidole, colonopsis, or temnothorax. It just got done raining here, so pheidole should definitely be flying. Wish me luck! :D
  • TennesseeAnts and ant007 like this

Spoiler

#37 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 22 2019 - 9:38 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

colonopsis?

#38 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 22 2019 - 3:17 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Yep, I didn’t find anything that night, (although I did find that Strumigenys queen in he morning :lol:) I’m going to head out again either tonight or tomorrow to see what I can find. I’m still iffy on whether or not colonopsis are in Indiana.

Spoiler

#39 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 22 2019 - 3:19 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Colobopsis are in Indiana. According to antmaps. They are probably just rare where you live.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#40 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 22 2019 - 3:26 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Ya, probably

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users