• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

**SEE LINK**Ferox's Strumigenys louisianae Journal (Updated 5/14/2021)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 10 2021 - 4:05 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

So I did managed to collect a queen-bound colony with around 100 or so workers and tons of brood. I'll probably still keep the queenless colony for future studies (particularly on the habits of the parasitic Strumigenys margaritae, but this new colony will, obviously, be my main one.

Edited by Ferox_Formicae, May 14 2021 - 4:06 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#42 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 12 2021 - 8:08 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I just realized that I completely forgot to add in information regarding the new Strumigenys louisianae colony. The colony was collected under a bunch of roots wrapping around the base of a mature American sweetgum tree. It was a shady patch right at the edge of that lot I'm always crying about (information in other journals). Around the tree were a few slippery elms. In between about 4 of these trees was a slight impression filled with leaf litter, in which I've also seen Strumigenys reflexa and ornata. The soil the S. louisianae were nesting in dry-ish red clay soil about 2 cm below the surface under a fairly large root. I have yet to finish extracting the colony, as there are still a few workers left in the soil I collected them with. However, this soil is being run through a Berlese funnel, and all workers should be extracted within a few days when the soil finishes drying. I've given the ants a few springtails, but they've yet to attack them. They'll probably have to settle down a bit first.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#43 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 14 2021 - 6:39 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I took some photos of the colony and thought I'd stick them in this journal. All photos can be seen here.

original.jpg?1620994182

original.jpg?1620994238

original.jpg?1620994140

original.jpg?1620994150

original.jpg?1620994226

• TennesseeAnts and TacticalHandleGaming like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#44 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 14 2021 - 7:04 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Wow, very nice! I'm trying to locate the colony around that patch of forest from which I sent you that worker.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#45 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 17 2021 - 4:53 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Journal transferred to here.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users