So last August, I had captured a very large colony of Strumigenys membranifera that were nesting about a foot away from the base of a small elm tree. The colony had three queens! The next morning, I checked on them, and they were all dead. In November, I flipped over a rock at my park, and next to a colony of termites was a large colony of Strumigenys louisianae! The next morning, I checked on them, they were all dead. I later found out that the reason was because I never gave them any hydration in their temporary holding containers, and they are VERY sensitive about that, but it was too late. Today, I decided to scoop up a bit of soil from the base of that same elm tree, and the first ant I saw was a Strumigenys individual! I took a closer look at her and she was a Strumigenys louisianae, and not only that, but a queen! I looked through more of the soil and found another Strumigenys, Strumigenys membranifera, and a worker. I looked more, and I finally came across a Strumigenys louisianae worker! I looked more, and even scooped up some more soil samples, but that was it, a queen and a worker. It's a shame that there aren't more, but at least I've got Strumigenys!
Edited by Ferox_Formicae, May 17 2021 - 4:55 AM.