• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Immigrans

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Offline EmberMyAnts - Posted May 3 2019 - 7:59 AM

EmberMyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIndiana, Bloomington
Great!

#22 Offline EmberMyAnts - Posted May 4 2019 - 11:33 AM

EmberMyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

AHHH! My Outworld! Let me quickly explain: I set up my Outworld so I could easily place my ants in it when they were ready, but, I used some of the soil from the wormfarm. Guess what I found today? IT'S. GROWING. MOLD. What should I do? I mean, I'm going to dump the soil, but, what do you guys use? Grout? Stone? Sand? 

#23 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2019 - 12:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A little mold on your soil won’t kill the ants; you could easily stetilize it in an oven. It should be bone dry anyway, so the mold should just die on its own. Soil could be problematic only because the ants are liable to abandon their tube and nest in it. That’s fine, but you will miss out on a lot. I recommend putting a thin layer of dry sand. My Tetras LOVE moving sand around. It’s literally 95% of what they do.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline EmberMyAnts - Posted May 5 2019 - 5:58 AM

EmberMyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Hahaha. Also, I’m trying to set up a good meal worm farm, but I can’t find a bran for the soil

#25 Offline kounelus - Posted May 5 2019 - 6:49 PM

kounelus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana

You can use ground up/chopped up chicken feed as a substrate for them. Just make sure if you go that route that you don't get any with pesticides or diatomaceous earth in it, as both will kill them. You can usually find it in local stores like Tractor Supply or the like.

I was trying to track down where I had learned about using the chicken feed/layer pellets and I believe it was these two links - http://mealwormbreeding.blogspot.com/ & https://youtu.be/LczqEONN1Ho?t=4m20s

Edited by kounelus, May 5 2019 - 6:54 PM.

• Acutus likes this

#26 Offline Acutus - Posted May 5 2019 - 6:54 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

You can use ground up/chopped up chicken feed as a substrate for them. Just make sure if you go that route that you don't get any with pesticides or diatomaceous earth in it, as both will kill them. You can usually find it in local stores like Tractor Supply or the like.

Did not know this! Will keep in mind. thanks!

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#27 Offline EmberMyAnts - Posted May 7 2019 - 5:46 AM

EmberMyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks a lot! Also, less exciting news..... I HAVE ESCAPEES! So, I they tunneled through the cotton ball,and I found one on the outside. I did the appropriate thing I think by flipping the cotton ball around to put the ant back in, and then put a second cotton ball in. I counted them ten times, and there were only 8 of them! Arghh....

#28 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 7 2019 - 6:59 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Did you buy any fluon yet? If not, definitely invest in some. Put a two-inch band around the top of your out world and that will contain them. My Tetras cannot climb on fluon  at all.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#29 Offline Rstheant - Posted May 7 2019 - 7:08 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Did you buy any fluon yet? If not, definitely invest in some. Put a two-inch band around the top of your out world and that will contain them. My Tetras cannot climb on fluon  at all.

#TetraMaster
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#30 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 7 2019 - 7:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

:lol:

#31 Offline EmberMyAnts - Posted May 9 2019 - 11:38 AM

EmberMyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Sorry, haven’t been checking this lately. No I don’t have any fluon, but, I have Vaseline! Also, I fed my ants half of a roly-poly! I was horrible though; I stabbed them to death with tweezers. Next time I’m just going to cut their head clean off to keep them from suffering as much.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#32 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 9 2019 - 1:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Freezing feeders is the most humane way to kill them in my opinion.
Definitely get fluon if you can; it’s worth it.
  • Somethinghmm likes this

#33 Offline Rstheant - Posted May 9 2019 - 6:26 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Sir ANTdrew of tetra, what care would you recommend for my tetras for this year?
  • ANTdrew likes this

#34 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2019 - 4:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Did you get a new colony, or do you plan to?

I had great success with Tetras using just simple tubs and tubes setups with sand at the bottom; they love sand! I kept mine very warm at 81 degrees and up using just natural heat in my poorly insulated home. They love darkness, so I kept their tubes covered at all times with half cardboard rolls. I really didn't check on them in the tubes much either. I fed them a lot of wild caught and feeder insects and I supplemented with cooked meats and egg yolks from time to time. Mine don't care much for seeds, but they did like hemp seeds. I definitely recommend hibernating them from November to March mainly as a way of slowing their growth and getting a break because they are non-stop.

#35 Offline Rstheant - Posted May 10 2019 - 4:25 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Thank you, sir ANTdrew of Tetra, I plan on catching some queens this year, and I was asking because mine all died due to neglect ion on my part. I want to do better this year. Thank you #TetraMaster
  • ANTdrew likes this

#36 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 10 2019 - 5:25 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
@AntDrew, now you have your own apprentice.
  • ANTdrew and Acutus like this

#37 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2019 - 7:50 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Tetramorium have a reputation as an easy almost “trash” ant, but most journals I read on here don’t end well. I’m always shocked to hear about year old colonies with like 20 workers. With good care, they’re one of the best species to keep.

#38 Offline Rstheant - Posted May 11 2019 - 7:29 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

@AntDrew, now you have your own apprentice.

:lol:

#39 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 11 2019 - 7:47 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Tetramorium have a reputation as an easy almost “trash” ant, but most journals I read on here don’t end well. I’m always shocked to hear about year old colonies with like 20 workers. With good care, they’re one of the best species to keep.

I suck at raising Tetramorium. :ugone2far: I always try to hard. I'm used to super hard species. :lol:

#40 Offline EmberMyAnts - Posted May 17 2019 - 5:40 AM

EmberMyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
The reason there has been NO NEWS is because my ants have done literally nothing...until today! So, they were dying because I couldn’t figure out what to feed them I think. They were always lethargic and at the cotton ball until I peeled a helicopter seed (I peel things sometimes and saw that I could get to the seed) and gave it to them. The next day, I find an ant at the seed, really reactive ants and little wads of green helicopter seed! I’m so happy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users