• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2460 replies to this topic

#581 Offline spider_creations - Posted August 23 2016 - 8:59 PM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
So what did I you find today anything good?

#582 Offline Nevular Scorpion - Posted August 26 2016 - 6:14 PM

Nevular Scorpion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's raining right now in near Joshua tree

#583 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 3 2016 - 9:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Finally... Let's hope this doesn't vanish before the rain gets here. Hopefully it's not too late for any mating flights too.

med_gallery_2_622_16578.gif

#584 Offline Kevin - Posted September 4 2016 - 2:45 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I went on a hike earlier and found colonies with tons of alates... at least in new jersey.

Where did you get that map?

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#585 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 4 2016 - 4:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

And of course... our rain is pretty much gone now. It really does seem silly to think Southern California could possibly get any rain.

#586 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 5 2016 - 1:20 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So what did I you find today anything good?

Sorry I never got around to posting about that last trip. It rained pretty good in that same area where I found the Acromyrmex during the last trip. It rained pretty good in Needles, CA too, which is only about 30 miles north of there. At first I didn't find a single queen or founding chamber. There were actually hardly any ants out at all. It was getting pretty depressing considering how far I drove. Goffs, CA was pretty much dry. While looking around I found a colony of Novomessor cockerelli in a little place called Klinefelter, right by the I-40 and 95 junction. I still can't figure out whether most of the ants have already flown out there, or if they just never got enough rain for flights.

I told myself I'm not going home without at least one queen, so I just kept heading north toward the 15 where I saw what looked like some pretty intense rain on the radar. I drove up through the Mojave National Preserve on some little road that I would have probably gotten stuck on in my old truck. I have to say, that place is really cool looking. Once I finally hit the 15, I was never able to get to where all that rain was. There were really no roads in that area.

I finally turned around in Primm, Nevada, and headed back down through Searchlight, Nevada. Once back in Needles, I stayed the night there. After thinking about it I guess the rain actually didn't stop until earlier that morning, so most likely nothing would fly until that night or the next morning anyway. That was probably why I hadn't found anything yet.

Sure enough, early the next morning, I started finding tons of Myrmecocystus yuma queens digging founding chambers. I collected a bunch of them, and headed back down to that wash where the Acromyrmex were. Around 9:00 AM or so, I started seeing them flying around. There were tons of them. I collected a bunch more Acromyrmex queens and then left for home. At least I now have something that should pay for that trip.

#587 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 9 2016 - 2:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The desert finally saw some rain September 20th 2016. This was the first rain of the entire summer in most of the Mojave desert. There wasn't really any heavy rain, but it rained long enough to drop about .3 inches. Since it rained lightly for a long period of time, the rain was able to soak into the ground a bit deeper, triggering some mating flights.

I decided to stop in Palm Desert first to hopefully catch a nuptial flight of Pogonomyrmex tenuispinus. It continued raining into the morning of the next day there, and was cloudy for most of that day, so I headed out there the day after that in hopes that the sun would be shining in the morning. There's an area a little ways up the mountains, slightly south of Palm Desert that's one of the only places where P. tenuispinus are found. They fly pretty late in the year, so I was pretty sure that was going to be the day. In case you haven't read any of my past posts, this is the species that my friend Retroman actually breeds in captivity.

Sure enough, just as the sun was coming up, the alates started coming out. By around 10:00 AM they were taking off.

gallery_2_253_101479.jpg

gallery_2_253_77684.jpg

gallery_2_253_8547.jpg

gallery_2_253_23735.jpg

gallery_2_253_53899.jpg

gallery_2_253_12339.jpg

gallery_2_253_7039.jpg

I never actually saw any of them mating, but a little further to the east of that location, I found tons of dealates running around later in the afternoon.

I saw a few of them digging founding chambers.

In addition to P. tenuispinus, I caught a few of what I think are Pheidole desertorum queens when they landed on my truck while mating.

After this I headed up to the Joshua Tree area. I noticed Acromyrmex versicolor had quite the mating flight up there. Pretty much every tree around there, and even bushes had tons of founding chambers under them. Many of the queens were still digging their nests at that time.

I got a few new pictures of some of the awesome mounds these ants make.

med_gallery_2_126_112044.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_190513.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_368173.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_600757.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_834598.jpg

And under one of the Ironwood trees, the best find of the trip.

med_gallery_2_145_418845.jpg

Later that night I drove down to Borrego Springs, but the wind was blowing so hard it was like a white-out of sand. Obviously that much blowing sand would have destroyed any founding chambers I might have found, so I turned around and headed back to Joshua Tree and went to sleep. Later that night the wind started blowing there, keeping me awake most of the night. The next day the wind was still blowing really hard, making it difficult to look for anything. I did find a couple queens of what are either Myrmecocustus placodops or M. mendax. I found a few Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens, and found more Acromyrmex queens almost all the way down to Frontage Rd.

Later that day I drove back to Palm Desert again and met up with NightsWebs and nurbs. At this spot we found queens of Myrmecocystus navajo, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, P. tenuispinus, Pheidole xerophila, Dorymyrmex bicolor, and Solenopsis xyloni. P. rugosus and P. tenuispinus were flying again most of the day there, and Solenopsis xyloni started flying later that evening.

Just before dark we drove further up the mountain to Pinyon Pines where we dug up a lot more Myrmecocystus navajo queens.

Not a bad ending to what was looking like the worst anting season ever.

• Enderz, Teafoot and CrazyLegs like this

#588 Offline Kevin - Posted October 9 2016 - 2:55 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Lucky find under that tree :P That's a lot of queens you found... Keep em all or did you take a few of each?
  • Enderz likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#589 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 9 2016 - 2:56 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Good deal, I suspect that Pogonomyrmex tenuispina is likely to be found in similar habitat from there down in to Mexico. My dad and I always felt that Palm Desert was at the extreme northern end of their range, provided of course this is not an undescribed species pretending to be P. tenuispina.

Edited by gcsnelling, October 9 2016 - 2:57 AM.

#590 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 9 2016 - 3:13 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, I found them a lot further south than that spot where Ken originally found them. They were pretty much everywhere we went along that highway that day.

#591 Offline PTAntFan - Posted October 20 2016 - 7:25 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Great trip report, Drew! Did you take those shots with just your phone? Some great ones. I'm heading to Cathedral City tomorrow and Saturday. Not sure if I'll have any time for anting, but if I do any recommendations of good spots to check out? Not expecting to find any queens this late.

Edited by PTAntFan, October 20 2016 - 7:25 AM.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#592 Offline Foogoo - Posted October 20 2016 - 8:48 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Great trip report, Drew! Did you take those shots with just your phone? Some great ones. I'm heading to Cathedral City tomorrow and Saturday. Not sure if I'll have any time for anting, but if I do any recommendations of good spots to check out? Not expecting to find any queens this late.

I enjoyed the unedited version better!  :lol:

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#593 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 21 2016 - 6:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Thanks. Yeah I took them with my phone and a little homemade macro lens.

#594 Offline Teafoot - Posted October 22 2016 - 11:08 AM

Teafoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

gallery_2_253_77684.jpg

gallery_2_253_8547.jpg

gallery_2_253_53899.jpg

In some of your pictures on this trip, there are some red alates and black alates. Are these different species or are they male and female? This was a while ago, but I try to expand my knowledge whenever possible. :)

#595 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 22 2016 - 12:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

In some of your pictures on this trip, there are some red alates and black alates. Are these different species or are they male and female? This was a while ago, but I try to expand my knowledge whenever possible. :)

The black ones are males.

#596 Offline cj526 - Posted October 25 2016 - 8:42 AM

cj526

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

There was some good rain last night in San Diego.  Anything that would fly in So Cal right now?

#597 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 25 2016 - 6:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Maybe Dorymyrmex insanus. Can't imagine much else. It's too cold now.

#598 Offline NightsWebs - Posted October 25 2016 - 6:28 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

yeah I am bummed out, need a good myrmecocystus trip

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#599 Offline FSTP - Posted October 29 2016 - 8:13 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

This thread is amazing! Such skill in ant catching. Quite the fun read

#600 Offline SirAnticus - Posted November 28 2016 - 8:07 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Drew what would you say is the best Novomessor spot and what time to go next year

Edit: Or M. mexicanus cause I wanted to test my hand at those

Edited by SirAnticus, November 28 2016 - 8:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users