• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2451 replies to this topic

#561 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 1 2016 - 3:38 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Cool, in our desert ants paper there was some debate with my dad as to whether they were in Goffs or more up in the hills. I can now lay that to rest. If you end up with spare material from that locality a sample for LACM would be nice to add to the few that are already in the collection from that site.

Edited by gcsnelling, July 1 2016 - 3:39 PM.

#562 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 1 2016 - 5:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Cool, in our desert ants paper there was some debate with my dad as to whether they were in Goffs or more up in the hills. I can now lay that to rest. If you end up with spare material from that locality a sample for LACM would be nice to add to the few that are already in the collection from that site.

Interesting. I'll grab some samples.

#563 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 1 2016 - 5:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

For anyone who doesn't feel like driving practically to Nevada.

med_gallery_2_574_155794.jpg

#564 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 2 2016 - 7:39 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

What a bummer, went to Victoville and made my way up to Helendale then zip zagged all the way down. Nothing. No sign of flights or founding chambers even though the rain was evident. It was quite breezy which is my guess why they didn't fly. I'll bet there will be flights as the week wears on up there.

Stopped by Mormon Rocks and the area is pockmarked with P. californicus founding chambers. How was Goffs?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#565 Offline Subverted - Posted July 2 2016 - 8:20 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Thanks for doing the legwork! Glad I didn't try to make that trek...

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#566 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 2 2016 - 9:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What a bummer, went to Victoville and made my way up to Helendale then zip zagged all the way down. Nothing. No sign of flights or founding chambers even though the rain was evident. It was quite breezy which is my guess why they didn't fly. I'll bet there will be flights as the week wears on up there.

Stopped by Mormon Rocks and the area is pockmarked with P. californicus founding chambers. How was Goffs?

I saw that. We made a few stops along Route 66 near Helendale, and it definitely poured rain, but the wind was insane. I too would say that was probably the reason nothing flew. I really hate wind. It just ruins everything, unless you like sailing or flying kites. I don't do either of those things.

#567 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 2 2016 - 9:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Goffs was pretty much a total waste. Luckily we did find Pogonomyrmex rugosus queens there, and Dorymyrmex bicolor queens a few miles north. We didn't find a single Novomessor cockerelli queen though, and I really don't understand why. This was the first big rain of the summer, and they flew only four days later last year. The giant nest that was right where we parked last time seems to be completely gone now. We did find more nests though. We even found a nest a couple miles down the road from there. We dug into a couple nests, and didn't see a single alate. There's obviously quite a few different possibilities as to what went wrong, but hopefully we were just too early, because I'm going to try again the next time they get rain.

#568 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 3 2016 - 3:17 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Were you able to at least grab some workers for voucher samples?

#569 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 3 2016 - 6:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Were you able to at least grab some workers for voucher samples?

Yeah I got a few. I think I probably still have a few from the last time I was there too.

#570 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 3 2016 - 6:16 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Excellent

#571 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 26 2016 - 11:38 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Has anyone been blacklighting lately? I'm thinking the warm night these few weeks may be a good opportunity.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#572 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 26 2016 - 8:35 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I tried Saturday night while passing through the Santa Ana mountains on Ortega Hwy, and not a single living thing landed on my light.

#573 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 19 2016 - 11:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So umm.. yeah... looks like there won't be any anting this summer. This is unbelievable, not one storm in the Southern California deserts the entire summer.

#574 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 20 2016 - 1:51 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Funny the day after my last post, and there is finally some thunderstorms forming in the desert.

#575 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 20 2016 - 2:27 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Funny the day after my last post, and there is finally some thunderstorms forming in the desert.

I noticed quite a substantial one, right off the 10 where the Acromyrmex are too. Hopefully that means they'll be flying in the next few days.

#576 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 20 2016 - 3:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I've been watching that, but now that I'm using all these websites I've never used before, I'm not really sure about what I'm seeing. Most of the sites are not even reporting anything that is consistent with what I am seeing on the radar.

#577 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 22 2016 - 7:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I decided to go check it out. The area near Joshua Tree was pretty wet from more rain yesterday morning, but the moisture only went down about three inches. There was no sign of queens anywhere there.

Next I headed up to Desert Center where it looked like there was heavier rain, and sure enough it was pretty soaked a little ways up the 177. It was still about 90 degrees out and about 60 percent humidity. At 90 degrees, 60 percent humidity is absolute misery. First the subterranean termites started flying by the billions. I was actually having a hard time breathing without sucking them down my throat, there were so many in the air. The super bright light on my head of course didn't help things. Surprisingly, there was hardly any ants flying at all. I ran the black light for a while, and saw Solenopsis xyloni, S. molesta, Dorymyrmex insanus, and Crematogaster queens. I also found a single Myrmecocystus navajo dealate on my sheet too. To my surprise I found a few Acromyrmex nests right there were I stopped as well. I have a feeling they might have flown this morning, so I'm probably going to go back. In addition to the massive amounts of termites, there were also TONS of these big beetles. I collected a jar full of them because they make great ant food. My Pogonomyrmex loved them the last time I collected a bunch. I also found a new gecko. :)

I wasn't too happy about this trip at this point, but decided to make one last stop back at the area near Joshua Tree as I was passing by, to see if anything happened after dark. It sure was a good thing I did that because apparently Camponotus fragilis had a big mating flight; I found a whole bunch of them.

• kellakk likes this

#578 Offline kellakk - Posted August 22 2016 - 7:29 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Sounds like a decent trip given the circumstances. What do those beetles look like?

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#579 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 22 2016 - 8:25 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They look like this, and hey stink really bad like ammonia.

phyllophaga1.jpg

#580 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 23 2016 - 6:16 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

What are your feelings on whether there will be founding chambers still by Saturday? I feel that any founding chambers remaining, they would've dug beyond shovel reach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users