• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Digging up D. insanus colony?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 5 2015 - 6:15 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Worth a shot or no? Anyone tried to before?

There's a few Dorymyrmex insanus mounds on the dirt sidewalk across the street they're about to put a cement sidewalk in, which will undoubtedly obliterate them. Not sure if it's worth attempting to dig up. I remember reading their queen is usually far from their numerous satellite nests.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 5 2015 - 6:23 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I never had success with it, I pretty much stopped trying as it just ruins their little mound and nest area.

#3 Offline Alza - Posted March 5 2015 - 6:35 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I've always had success with it, and its how i ended up with 8 out of my 14 dorymyrmex insanus queens. Dig like 3 inches down, then start digging to the sides, even if you don't see chambers.

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 5 2015 - 6:42 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

It may be the soil I've found them in. I have found queens in founding chambers. But, never had luck with getting them from an already mature colony. With that said, everywhere I see them ends up being hard clay-dirt that is way too hard to dig through. So, might just be bad luck for that. I never have yet to find them in easy to dig through dirt or sand, at least that is my personal experience.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 5 2015 - 9:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I would never waste the time. They are really easy queens to find. They fly almost every time it rains. I just found one today as a matter of fact.

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted March 5 2015 - 9:32 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I would never waste the time. They are really easy queens to find. They fly almost every time it rains. I just found one today as a matter of fact.

Just in your neighborhood?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
No. I found it at O'Neill Park.

#8 Offline Miles - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:19 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

We actually attempted this at Ants of the Southwest. Pretty deep, unpredictable tunnels and chambers. Brood is very deep down - we barely reached any. They often have satellite nests that we think are interconnected underground. 

From my experience, it's not worth the trouble.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#9 Offline kellakk - Posted March 5 2015 - 10:29 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

They do keep brood and alates in satellite nests near the surface at this time of year, but I doubt the queen would be easy to find. 

Edited by kellakk, March 5 2015 - 10:30 PM.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users