• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Temnothorax sp. queens died, eggs have reappeared

temnothorax

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Maculata - Posted April 7 2019 - 5:05 PM

Maculata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Temnothorax sp. 

This colony had 2 queens.  About 6 weeks ago, both queens died with in 1 week of each other - I ID'ed them as queens.  I did not rest them for the winter and had been pushing the temp into the high 80s during the day with 5 degree temp drop at night (Tucson is desert with many many 100+ degree days in the summer).  The colony doubled in size and had a good mix of all phases of development.  All workers appeared stuffed for food, clean water always available.  Feed cricket frozen/thawed cricket parts, honey and grains.  
Over the next 4 weeks, all eggs, larva, pupa continued to grow until there was only a couple dozen large developing pupa.

Then:  Eggs started to reappear.  In addition some of the eggs are now progressing to grow as larva.  

What happened? 

There are now close to 300 workers busy taking care of everything.  I can not see anything that looks like a queen (no wing scars, none that look abnormally big, ...). 

Original queen laying an egg.
A60A9907 S NSI

--

Other info:

Thread Summary: Temnothorax sp.

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Central Tucson, AZ

2. Date of collection: Summer 2018
3. Habitat of collection: Sonoran Desert, 2000ft, urban mesquite trees and cactus
4. Length (from head to gaster): Queen 4mm, workers 2.5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: 
7. Distinguishing behavior: calm, polygynous / polygyne (2 queen colony)

8. Nest description: Unknown

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Summer 2018

A60A8620 Nsi
Album: Temnothorax sp.
32 images
0 comments

• UtahAnts and futurebird like this

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 7 2019 - 7:14 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
The workers may be laying trophic eggs. The larvae will probably develop into males, but if your lucky you may have somehow gotten a gamergate.

Keep an eye our for the pupae and see if they are female. If so, congrats! Also, post an update here and let us know. I don't think this genus is known to have gamergates so this would be a relatively new discovery.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline Maculata - Posted April 15 2019 - 7:55 PM

Maculata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

After 2+ months of watching all the old queens eggs had grow to large larvae with no sign of eggs, new eggs started to appear.  Many of those eggs are developing.  Below are several picts in case I missed something.  No new larvae have pupated yet.  Maybe in a month. 

A60A0106 S NSI
A60A0104 S NSI
A60A0101 S NSI
A60A0098 S NSI
A60A0097 S NSI
A60A0094 S NSI
A60A0089 S NSI

Edited by Maculata, April 15 2019 - 7:58 PM.

#4 Offline Maculata - Posted April 15 2019 - 8:23 PM

Maculata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

For reference here are 4 more picts of the original queens (now believed dead)

A60A9357 S NSI
A60A9637 S NSI
A60A9613 S NSI
A60A9668 S NSI

• futurebird likes this

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted April 16 2019 - 2:42 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Temnothorax workers can lay (haploid) eggs. In the wild around 20-40% of all males a colony produces are offspring of workers.

You can btw try an adoption, if the colony has been without a queen for several months chances are high that they will accept a new queen.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted April 16 2019 - 6:29 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

One thing you can watch out for is the number of developing larvae in comparison to the number of eggs that are laid. Unlike fertilized queens, who's eggs have around 100% viability to produce eggs that will end up growing into either a worker or an alate. The eggs laid by workers should have only 10% change to develop into larvae.

#7 Offline Maculata - Posted April 19 2019 - 5:33 PM

Maculata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Will the males have wings?

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 19 2019 - 7:30 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Yes.

#9 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 28 2019 - 8:26 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Update?

Spoiler

#10 Offline Maculata - Posted August 13 2019 - 7:50 PM

Maculata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
As sirjordanncurtis suggested, lots of eggs appear and disappear - A few go on to be adults.  No wings.  The colony just hangs on.  I am looking for another queen to introduce.  I will update if I find one.  

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 13 2019 - 8:58 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So they became workers? You should reference a myrmecologist. See what they think.

#12 Offline Maculata - Posted August 14 2019 - 10:20 PM

Maculata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

On closer examination, there are now several larger workers with longer and pointed abdomens.  Are these males?

A60A8620 Nsi
Album: Temnothorax sp.
32 images
0 comments

A60A0602 S NSI
A60A0600 S NSI

compare size to when there were queens

A60A0106 S NSI
A60A9296 S NSI

And here were the queens

A60A9357 S NSI
A60A9613 S NSI

Edited by Maculata, August 14 2019 - 10:22 PM.

#13 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 15 2019 - 5:37 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Just larger workers. I don't know how it's possible that the workers produced more workers... Unless there is an ergatoid queen somewhere in the nest. Could also be ergatoid males instead of workers.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#14 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 15 2019 - 6:38 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Those could be gamergates. It would make sense that the colony produced an ergatoid male, which fertilzed a worker. Or could be what Ant-dude said.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#15 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 15 2019 - 6:44 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Those could be gamergates. It would make sense that the colony produced an ergatoid male, which fertilzed a worker. Or could be what Ant-dude said.

Yeah, that could very well be what has happened here. There was more than one queen, so not all of the workers are related. A worker from one queen could have laid eggs that hatched into ergatoid males, those males fertilized a worker, and now you have a gamergate in your nest producing workers.

This may be very important information if it's true.
  • futurebird likes this

#16 Offline Maculata - Posted August 15 2019 - 7:56 PM

Maculata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

What experiment or observation would be recommended?  

I took some picts of the colony to see if you see something I missed:

I think the two queens died about March 1st 2019

A60A0609 S NSI
A60A0610 S NSI
A60A0611 S NSI
A60A0612 S NSI
A60A0613 S NSI
A60A0614 S NSI
A60A0615 S NSI

Edited by Maculata, August 15 2019 - 8:03 PM.

#17 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 16 2019 - 2:05 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Keep raising them and look for new worker pupae. If they appear then this would be something pretty new.

#18 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 9 2020 - 10:15 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I would like to bring back this topic with a colony of mine in a similar position. Recently, my mother happened to come across a decaying hickory nut with a colony of Temnothorax curvispinosus inside. She gave it to me, and upon further examination, this colony was lacking a queen - and not for a short time either. The colony consists equally of about males and workers right now, with lots of brood developing solely into males from what it seems. There has been lots of new eggs being laid recently, and I’m almost curious to see if it’s possible that a gamergate could be produced from this. As you can see, LOTS of worker brood:

EDIT: Also, I would love an update on the existing colony in this journal!

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 9 2020 - 10:17 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Antkeeper01 like this

Spoiler

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 9 2020 - 2:40 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Many of the workers’ gasters also look quite large.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#20 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 9 2020 - 3:07 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Many of the workers’ gasters also look quite large.

I noticed this as well. Could just be normal, although I haven’t fed them yet since their capture.

Edit: I’m also wondering if some of that pupae is worker pupae? If so, I would assume it would have been from a worker considering that only males have recently hatched meaning that no queen could have been present within this colony for quite some time?

Double edit: If I’m not seeing things, then I’m going to say that the bottom picture has some worker pupae clearly visible in it. I say this because of the size of the eyes and body structure appear to match that of a worker.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 9 2020 - 3:12 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: temnothorax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users