• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SMILEforAnt's Pheidole megacephala (SUPER?!?) Colony Journal!

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#81 Offline SMILEforAnts - Posted May 24 2015 - 5:02 PM

SMILEforAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Whatsup guys!

@Myrmicinae Yes there are, and that's the reason why I came on to update this journal. About a week and a half ago alate larvae started to pop up around the nest. After the last update, I've had more time to care for them more. And during that time I've been feeding them more than usual.

It's funny to think that, looking back at posts, @antmaniac said feeding this colony might be the equivalent to feeding a pet dog.....that's looking to be somewhat true. Maybe a teacup dog or a chihuahua though. They've been eating a lot of chicken pieces, honey, fruit juice, pieces of steak, pieces of fish, lots and lots of crickets and fruit flies. In two days they consume it all, and no pieces left to be found, except for some pieces of chicken that usually ends up dried out.

Here's pictures of some of the alate larvae I've taken with my DSLR camera.

m9gWm5k.jpg

T17C8PR.jpg

9MjJVCw.jpg

rxEHjc8.jpg

And yeah, when the alates become pupae I'll make sure to come on and update this journal again. I would've wanted to make a video, but those really take time to make and my laptop is due for an upgrade, so making those is really time consuming especially with a slow a$$ computer like I have. I am planning on making one though, kinda like a day in the life of a Pheidole megacephala colony.

• Myrmicinae and Lamarr like this

SMILEforAnts [YouTube channel]

Pictures of my past colony [Pheidole megacephala]

#82 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted May 24 2015 - 5:36 PM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Great pictures!

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#83 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 24 2015 - 7:41 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Awesome colony! One of the best journals here!

#84 Offline Tpro4 - Posted May 24 2015 - 9:05 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
How do you know if it's an alate brood?
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#85 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 25 2015 - 5:21 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
As you can see, the larvae are a lot larger than the workers.

#86 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted May 25 2015 - 7:19 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

As you can see, the larvae are a lot larger than the workers.

And the majors. They're also fairly globular and the larvae have an incredibly tiny head to body ratio. In this species, and probably most Pheidole, you can often tell as soon as after they hatch due to their roundness. Reproductive brood of most species are usually distinguishable from other castes.
  • Jonathan21700 likes this

#87 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted May 25 2015 - 12:13 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Amazing pictures!

• SMILEforAnts likes this

#88 Offline dermy - Posted May 25 2015 - 12:20 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Great Pictures! Can't wait to see them alates!

• SMILEforAnts likes this

#89 Offline SMILEforAnts - Posted June 20 2015 - 4:00 PM

SMILEforAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

So somewhat of a bad news. About a week and a half ago I was feeding them their drop of daily honey water. Long story short, I spilled some on their nest near one of their entrances. And you guys know that plaster quickly absorbs liquid, so there was nothing I could do. Days later, mold started to grow and spread on that spot. They didn't seem affected by it, but I just didn't want to risk the mold spreading even more. So I decided to relocate the colony so I could clean the tank and do something about the mold.

So two days ago i attached their old nest and encouraged them to move. Prior to that I didn't water the nest anymore, so It was really dried out. Within a couple of hours they move some of the alate pupae and all the brood into the nest. The next day, I made sure there wasn't any queens left in the tank, but there was still A LOT of workers and alate pupae left in the tank. I had to make a quick decision, and since the queens were more important to me, I removed the tank. So the bad news is I lost a lot of workers and most of the alate pupae.

Now they are back in their old nest with their old outworld attached, while I do something about the tank nest. It was dirty anyway and definitely due for a cleaning. Also most of the alate pupae they relocated have recently eclosed. All of the alate pupae are males btw, so no queen alates yet. Sorry there are no pictures, but when I get my camera back I'll make sure to have some up. I'm still pretty bummed I lost a lot of workers, but I'm sure they'll bounce back quickly.

SMILEforAnts [YouTube channel]

Pictures of my past colony [Pheidole megacephala]

#90 Offline antmaniac - Posted October 7 2015 - 8:57 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

How is this colony doing?

#91 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 7 2015 - 9:05 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
yeah, please update soon
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#92 Offline jpalves - Posted October 9 2015 - 4:12 PM

jpalves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
How is your colony doing?

Edited by jpalves, October 9 2015 - 4:13 PM.

#93 Offline Tpro4 - Posted May 23 2016 - 8:43 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Is your colony still alive and well?

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#94 Offline Air - Posted July 7 2016 - 5:07 PM

Air

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

How is the colony?

#95 Offline Kingjay - Posted July 7 2016 - 8:51 PM

Kingjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCharlotte,nc
I have been following the colony through the updates that you posted and I just wanted to say your colony is very awesome and cool and that you take very good care of your ants.I hope that your colony expands even more

#96 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 8 2016 - 7:27 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

So I take it this is a species that allows for multiple queens to be contained together or are they more like African Cichlids in that they are territorial and you've provided plenty of space that they don't feel threatened?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#97 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 9 2016 - 11:09 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm bummed you haven't updated this in awhile. Its in my top 3 favorite tanks... maybe even top 2 because its one of the set ups I'm going to deliberately copy. Fish background and all!!! But seriously, I am building a replica tank of this style but for a tetramorium. I doubt I can even rival the 60 queens with just her...but I still like this set up. 

For hydration I'm thinking of cornering off a section of the hydrostone nest and doing a "Drew water vat-hot glue sponge" kinda deal to just moisten a small bit of the nest. 

What have been some problems you've had now with this mega colony?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#98 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 9 2016 - 5:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Unfortunately a lot of people's interest in this hobby doesn't last long.

#99 Offline kellakk - Posted August 9 2016 - 6:18 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

It's also rather pointless to ask for updates from a person that hasn't logged in since their last update.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#100 Offline Tpro4 - Posted August 10 2016 - 10:04 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

It's also rather pointless to ask for updates from a person that hasn't logged in since their last update.

It's because we have hope for him to come back and update. We believe in the notification system for his account.
  • sgheaton likes this

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users