• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Pheidole navigans Journal

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#81 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 5 2020 - 6:13 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

They have a second major pupae, and a ginormous brood pile. They have dug quite far into the cotton, so I am a bit worried. I do have a second colony though, for just that occasion. The second colony is smaller, as I feed them less. Once I download all the files from my phone to my computer, I will be able to take pictures again. The major pupa is orange, so it should be eclosing very soon. They have 40 or more workers. Its very hard to tell with their chamber in the cotton, as I can barely see in there.

• M_Ants likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#82 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 9 2020 - 6:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Second major has eclosed:

They should double in population soon, all in all doing well. This is my third largest colony, with them having over 40 workers. They have incredible worker recruitment, and are very efficient at dragging large prey items, carrying a subterranean termite up into the test tube within 20 mins. Pretty impressive considering the termite weighs well over 30 times as much as a worker.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#83 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 9 2020 - 7:50 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Wow! They look healthy so far!

• NickAnter likes this

#84 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 9 2020 - 7:53 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yes, they are! I hope I can raise them to maturity this time. Hopefully 3rd year will be the charm!

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#85 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 24 2021 - 10:04 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

This colony is doing very well. They have at least 60 workers, with many more on the way. They also have 3 majors, with two more on the way. For a relatively small colony, and with such small workers, I did not expect such active ants. Workers are always foraging, and a very good at worker recruitment. They are also incredibly strong, with a single worker managing to drag a subterranean termite many times it's size through a honey droplet. Also, the majors are not too shy, for whenever there is a large prey item such as the aforementioned termite, one will always come out of the nest. Due to the fact that I am still unable to locate my macro lens, no pictures will be posted for now.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#86 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 24 2021 - 10:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Haha, probably time to order a new macro lens.
  • NickAnter likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#87 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 24 2021 - 10:44 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Not giving up yet. :D

#88 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 24 2021 - 3:32 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Not giving up yet. :D

How do you lose a macro lens? And if you do you'd think it would be easy to find. What do you think happened to it lol? 

#89 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 24 2021 - 3:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I found it, it was hanging on my lamp(its a clip on lens for a phone). I put it there, so I in theory couldn't lose it, since I turn the lamp on and off every day. Unless you forget the lens is on it!!!!

Here are some pictures:

20210124 154819
20210124 154844
20210124 154851

• ANTdrew and M_Ants like this

#90 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 24 2021 - 4:00 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They are not very good, due to the fact that the tube is dirty, and I can't get good lighting, due to the position of the tube in the outworld.

#91 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 24 2021 - 4:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think they’re pretty good.
  • NickAnter and Antkeeper01 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#92 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 25 2021 - 4:07 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Yeah those are good. I was thinking you meant a macro lens for an actual camera not a clip on for a phone, which I guess would be a lot smaller.

#93 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 8 2021 - 1:44 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

This colony is doing incredibly well! They have a massive brood pile with around a hundred pupae alone, with more brood of other stages. They have at least 6 majors as well. Since they have burrowed into the cotton as previously mentioned, and the majors are cowards, it's a bit hard to tell. The colony size is probably around 100 workers, and they never turn down food of any kind. They still have quite a lot of room to grow in their 20mm test tube, and since they seem happy in there, I will not bother with moving them into a formicarium. All in all, I'm very happy with this colony. Never would have thought these would be such fun ants, with their small size, and normally timid nature.

#94 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 17 2021 - 2:04 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Here is a video of decent quality, showing them eating a termite.  I have pictures of later, when the swarm of workers got huge, they will be uploaded later.

• TennesseeAnts and UtahAnts like this

#95 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 17 2021 - 2:37 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
20210217 132927

• ANTdrew likes this

#96 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 17 2021 - 2:38 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

that's well over 60 ants in that image, and the overall population is about double that, so my new estimated count is around 120 workers!

• ANTdrew and Fatatoille like this

#97 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 23 2021 - 2:34 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Have about 10 majors now, and at least 150 workers, with a large pile of brood, that never seems to grow smaller or bigger, the queen seems to lay at an exact rate now. Their test tube is beginning to run out of water, and I'm not sure if I want to move them into a formicarium or not when it does.  Thankfully, by my guesses, I've still got over a month to decide. Any thoughts?

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#98 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2021 - 2:56 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Is the brood warm enough for peak development?

#99 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 23 2021 - 2:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They actually move the brood away from the heating cable, so I would assume so. The brood develops just fine, I just find it interesting how the queen lays at a rate that there is always the same amount of brood in development.

#100 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 22 2021 - 4:14 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
20210322 155200
20210322 155307
20210322 155245
20210322 155224

Today they had their biggest feeding response yet! 100 workers were sent out to greet the mealworm pieces within 5 minutes. They also sent out 8 majors, most of which scattered(Cowards!) when I went to take pictures.

In terms of overall population, they have easily breached 200 workers, and still have the same size brood pile. It really is pretty funny in my opinion. Also, they have completely mangled the wet cotton plug, and have dug a small network of tunnels into it. Hopefully Ill come up with a solution soon.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and M_Ants like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users