• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Pheidole navigans Journal

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 16 2020 - 9:57 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

So at least 3 queens are mated, as they have larvae. The very first queen I caught has pupae now, about 3 of them. She has the least amount of brood out of all the ones that do have brood, but she certainly seems the fastest. They should get workers in a few days. When I find my macro lens, I will take some pictures and upload them here.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#62 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 16 2020 - 10:05 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Shoot! She has a mite on her leg!!!! I don't see how, as she was found in the pool!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#63 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 16 2020 - 12:01 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
I remember my very first queen having a mite on her leg. I simply held her carefully and brushed it off with a q-tip. After that you can return her to her setup and she’ll do fine! Is it a red mite? Because then you might want to get it off as soon as possible!

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 16 2020 - 12:01 PM.

Spoiler

#64 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 1 2020 - 7:39 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, that queen with a mite died with orange pupae over a week ago. Luckily, I ended up with 3 more mated queens. One of them has 4 workers as of this morning, getting the first yesterday. Pics will come today.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#65 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 1 2020 - 7:44 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Did you give her brood to another queen?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#66 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 1 2020 - 9:08 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

No.

I actually accidentally smushed it with a q-tip while trying to move it. :facepalm:

#67 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 1 2020 - 9:37 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

No.
I actually accidentally smushed it with a q-tip while trying to move it. :facepalm:

RIP
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#68 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 1 2020 - 9:58 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

No.

Ah, oh well. It happens.........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#69 Offline BitT - Posted July 1 2020 - 4:18 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Oooh! Gonna watch your queens. I think I've fallen in love with this species. I may grab more next year if I see any. Looking forward to your pictures!

#70 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 3 2020 - 5:05 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Terribly sorry I didn't post pictures when I said I would.

Here is one, taken today:

As you can see, they have five workers, and have taken a fruit fly. They also have a pupa that looks about ready to eclose.

• AntsDakota likes this

#71 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 3 2020 - 5:40 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
I don’t think ‘as you/I can see’ is true in this image. At first glance, I just see a mess of cotton, 2-3 workers, and one queen looking figure.

Edited by TechAnt, July 3 2020 - 5:41 PM.

My Ants:

#72 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 3 2020 - 6:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

oh dear.  Uhmmm. Ill try uploading it to imgur and not drive and see if its better.

#73 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 3 2020 - 6:22 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Ill also try to take some better pics with my macro lens.

#74 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 3 2020 - 6:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They have a chamber in the cotton, so its hard to see all five workers at once in a picture.

Edited by NickAnter, July 3 2020 - 6:28 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, CatsnAnts, AntsDakota and 4 others like this

#75 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 3 2020 - 10:26 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Yeah, that's a lot better. Nice colony!

My Ants:

#76 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 9 2020 - 8:09 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They have 7 workers now, and just devoured their second fruit fly. It is amazing how efficient they are at completely breaking them down. They have around 10-15 more larvae as well. All are nice and full after their last fruit fly. They are also pretty active foragers in their test tube. I am going to put off giving them an outworld for as long as possible though, as these things are so tiny, I think they could escape the tightest box-box lids. And I'm not entirely sure if they can climb fluon. Sadly, it is hard to get large amounts of workers to test with.

• akaant and TechAnt like this

#77 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 26 2020 - 7:16 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Yeah, they ate the major referenced here.

Edited by NickAnter, November 1 2020 - 6:42 AM.

• CatsnAnts, TechAnt and TestSubjectOne like this

#78 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 26 2020 - 8:03 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Ah, I get it..

• NickAnter likes this
My Ants:

#79 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 1 2020 - 6:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Another major update!

Terrible pictures, but as you can see they have a major. They also have around 30 workers. The colony is already using it as a replete.
  • M_Ants and Fatatoille like this

#80 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 21 2020 - 12:29 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The first time I have ever seen the major leave the nest. I looked over just in time to take the picture. They are doing very well.
  • ANTdrew, Somethinghmm and M_Ants like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users