• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

665 replies to this topic

#161 Offline Canadant - Posted September 21 2019 - 3:28 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Ugh... queen moving back up tube. Sigh.

Cremas hate moving. And feel free to post what you want; I’m always glad if anybody reads my rants. You should make a journal for your colony. I’d read it.

It's funny how little things like that can make someone feel terrible. My apologies and Thanks. Lol. Not my intention, just compelled by excitement. I knew others were in here sharing. Yup. I gotta get on a journal too. It's still amazing to me how we can jump start a colony like that. She took them all and started laying. Normally I believe they don't start laying until the following spring.

Thanks

Canadant
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#162 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2019 - 3:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dude, post away!
Your queen will start laying like crazy in spring, I bet. In ideal conditions, Cremas can even outpace Tetramorium in growth and voracity. Plan your containment strategy now!!!
  • azzaaazzzz00 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#163 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 27 2019 - 11:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 9-27-2019

This colony continues to do great. They are growing a lot, and every time I lift up the covers of their test tubes I'm surprised by how many more ants I see. I've been feeding them lots of pre-frozen crickets from my yard along with mealworms. They like the crickets much more than the mealworms.

Tons of eggs and larvae!

More workers are starting to hang out in the bead container nest, which is kind of annoying because I'll have to hibernate the whole set up or else figure out some way to evict these.

I'm kind of feeling like making a big natural set up for these next year with a cool piece of driftwood or something. It would be easy to hydrate by just sprinkling water on the wood. Do any of ya'll CrematoMasters have experience with natural nests for arboreal species?

• Boog and azzaaazzzz00 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#164 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 27 2019 - 12:55 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

More workers are starting to hang out in the bead container nest, which is kind of annoying because I'll have to hibernate the whole set up or else figure out some way to evict these.

They're ants... what do you expect?  :lol:

• ANTdrew and DDD101DDD like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#165 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2019 - 10:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-1-2019

These ants continue to do well. Last night, I traded two of my new 2019 queens to a long time ant-keeper in exchange for a Formica queen. He has a microscope and much more ant ID knowledge than I do, so I can finally say what species the Divas are:

Crematogaster cerasi (y)

I guess that's not surprising, but it's a relief to finally know for certain. Part of me was always wishing they were lineolata just because fewer people seem to find and keep those, but I love my divas all the same.  

• TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#166 Offline Canadant - Posted October 2 2019 - 5:21 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
What formica did you get? Brood?

#167 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 2 2019 - 5:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

What formica did you get? Brood?

Formica argentea. No brood yet. I hope it was a good trade!
  • TennesseeAnts and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#168 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 7 2019 - 10:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-8-2019

This journal is almost a year old now. It's been a fun journey with these ants really. Some good news is that the AC outworld seems to have them fully contained. They are also still eating well and chugging lots of water. I may try to use the coming cold soon to try to move them all into the bead container nest. I'm hoping that if I run a heat cable only under the bead container, then they'll finally vacate their nasty old test tube. I'll trust their judgement in any case. I bet this colony will get really huge next year, like FeedTheAnts level huge.

They are so chill all the time:

IMG 6112

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 8:56 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Wa.Va, Boog and 3 others like this

#169 Offline Roy3 - Posted October 8 2019 - 10:07 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Nice read. Thanks. :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  • ANTdrew likes this

#170 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 9 2019 - 2:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Nice read. Thanks. :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you! I’ll keep the updates coming.
  • Scherme likes this

#171 Offline Canadant - Posted October 11 2019 - 3:10 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
You are the crematogastor whisperer.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#172 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 11 2019 - 5:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You are the crematogastor whisperer.

Thank you, but I’d give that title to FeedTheAnts. He has the largest Crematogaster colony and honestly the largest colony of any species on this forum.
  • TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#173 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 11 2019 - 5:23 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Update 9-27-2019

This colony continues to do great. They are growing a lot, and every time I lift up the covers of their test tubes I'm surprised by how many more ants I see. I've been feeding them lots of pre-frozen crickets from my yard along with mealworms. They like the crickets much more than the mealworms.

Tons of eggs and larvae!

That bead setup actually looks really cool! How did you make it?

I'm kind of feeling like making a big natural set up for these next year with a cool piece of driftwood or something. It would be easy to hydrate by just sprinkling water on the wood. Do any of ya'll CrematoMasters have experience with natural nests for arboreal species?

Looks like Creamato. Is a super fun species, btw, how did you make that bead nest, it looks super cool.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#174 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 11 2019 - 5:25 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Update 9-27-2019

Tons of eggs and larvae!

That bead setup actually looks really cool! How did you make it?

Looks like Creamato. Is a super fun species, btw, how did you make that bead nest, it looks super cool.

I think he got it from here http://www.formicult...icture +journey

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#175 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 11 2019 - 5:26 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois
Thanks!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#176 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 28 2019 - 10:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 10-28-19

My large colony, Sigyn, remains active in my kitchen. The temperature has dropped down to the low 70's and has even dipped into the 60s, so they are slowing down. The AC out world they are in is kind of big to fit in my mini-fridge, so I need to figure out where exactly I'm going to have these girls pass the winter. I could either order a wine cooler or else take them to my parent's basement, but I'd prefer to keep them at my house if possible.

I tried using a heat cable under their bead nest to entice the whole colony to move in for more warmth, but it didn't really work. They won't move for all the tea in China!

My two new queens just got put in my mini-fridge wrapped in a towel. I swear one of them was carrying eggs on Saturday as I transferred her to a clean tube for hibernation. I wrapped up my new Formica queen (who never laid eggs yet)  in the same towel.

I also put my newest queen in the mini-fridge: A very late flying Lasius neoniger I found on Friday 10/25! She still has her wings, but males were everywhere, so there's a good chance she's mated. Please let me know if I ID'd her incorrectly.

I'll start a dedicated journal for her if she works out in the long run.

Attached Images

• 65c32544-cadf-4df7-b363-4d9199f77e2b.JPG

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 8:57 AM.

• Boog, DDD101DDD, treehunned and 2 others like this

#177 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 28 2019 - 12:36 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Dang man, looking great. And that new queen just beautiful
  • ANTdrew likes this

#178 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 23 2019 - 8:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 11-23-2019

Not much to report, but Sigyn and her divas are in hibernation now. I brought her whole set up to the unheated basement of my parent's house. Other than a few workers on the liquid feeders, they've fully shut down. My dear mother is freaking out about having several large colonies in her basement, though, so this plan may not work out long term. :dash:

Other alternatives could be my attic (I put a digital thermometer up there to track how cold it gets) or buying some big mini-fridge.

Here's a cluster of workers in the bead nest. This is more of an outpost, maybe only 10% of the colony is in the ghetto DIY nest.

• TennesseeAnts, Boog and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#179 Offline Boog - Posted November 23 2019 - 7:27 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Great journal, I like the DIY nest but those divas do seem picky. Hopefully they get more comfy next season!

The hot pepper infused olive oil barrier has been containing my one Tapinoma sessile colony so far. I haven't seen any trapped since the first two at the very beginning and I haven't needed to reapply yet. I leave the lid off for feeding, a couple hours or less and they seem okay. After more workers though, I'll need to see. The fluon barrier seems to be containing your colony so far but just a heads up from what I've observed with the barrier for my escape artists.

• ANTdrew likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#180 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 24 2019 - 8:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thank you very much, Boog. I’m always glad when keepers can get something out of my journals or at least enjoy a good read.

If your oil is stopping Tapinoma, then it could stop anything. I’ll have to look into it. I have these birds’ eye chili flakes, so I could make a Chernobyl heat level easily.
  • TennesseeAnts, Boog and azzaaazzzz00 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users