• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Firebrick Formicarium

firebrick formicarium diy dremel

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Yosigi - Posted October 10 2018 - 2:58 PM

Yosigi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSaranac, NY
18"x24"x.080" acrylic sheet for the cover

Picked up the sheet of acrylic today from Lowes, stuff is surprisingly cheap.  18"x24"x.080" sheet was only $11.00, which gives me enough for 16 4"x8.5" covers.

First cut
1st piece cut out

I decided to cut the sheet to the 4" side first.  I used a hacksaw with a metal-cutting blade to cut it, the saw I used for the brick was too coarsely toothed.  The sheet is wide enough to cut out 2 covers, but I only need 1 for now so that's all I'll do.

cover for the formicarium
Cover with sanded sides

After I cut the cover out of the sheet, I noticed the edges where I cut were not very smooth.  I used some 120-grit sandpaper to smooth them out and get rid of the little bit and pieces left from me cutting.  For those of you who don't know, acrylic sheets come with a protective plastic film on both sides that you peel off when you are done cutting the sheet to size, that's what that triangle is in the corner, not a scratch.  I haven't peeled it off yet, as there is still one more step for the cover before I put it on the nest

Holes marked for the hydration chambers
Holes drilled for the hydration chambers

Next thing to do is to mark and drill the holes you'll use to hydrate the nest.  I used a 3/32" drill bit for the holes which is just big enough for my syringe tip to fit through.

Sponges in the hydration chambers

Last thing to do before glueing the cover to the nest is to cut a sponge down small enough that it just barely is compressed when you put it in the hydration chambers.  I found a pen or skewer is really helpful for getting the sponges down in the chambers, as the sponge acts like velcro against the brick.

2 sides done

I debated whether I wanted to use silicone or hot glue to attach the cover, but ultimately decided on hot glue as it's cheaper, more readily available to most people, and you don't risk wasting most of a tube if you don't plug the tip well.  My hot glue gun is a multi-temp, I used the high temp for this.  I see no reason why a low temp wouldn't work though.  To make sure you keep the cover perfectly squared up while you do this, you can use a clamp to hold it in place.  Just be gentle, the brick is very soft and you don't wanna ruin all the hard work you've put in.  I chose instead to hold the cover and push it tightly against the glass on one edge while I ran a bead of glue about 1" long.  I blew on it to cool it down faster while still holding it down, then did the same thing for the other three sides.  Once you've done that, you don't have to worry about it moving out of place at all.

All sides done
All sides done

And here she is, all done and pretty!  Come spring, I will definitely be moving my Camponotus pennsylvanicus. in here, as they are living in a large Omni nest right now and just don't need that much room.  In another week or two, I'm probably going to start a new thread following the next formicarium I make.  Just to tease you guys and gals a bit, it'll be a vertical 2-sided nest.

• rdurham02 and ANTdrew like this

My current colonies:

1x 4 queen Myrmica colony, roughly 30 workers

1x 3 queen Myrmica colony, roughly 20 workers

2x Tetramorium Immigrans colony, one with probably 500 workers and the second has around 200

1x Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis colony from THA, about 40 workers

My 1st firebrick formicarium: http://www.formicult...ck-formicarium/

#22 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 10 2018 - 3:13 PM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Acrylic? Uh oh, wonder how long till the acrylic vs non acrylic debate starts.

Personally I think it looks great, good job

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 11 2018 - 5:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Well done! Please update on how the colony does once you move them in.

Follow up question: will you cover the acrylic with anything to provide the ants more darkness?

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline Yosigi - Posted October 11 2018 - 6:00 AM

Yosigi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSaranac, NY

Most likely just gonna use an envelope or a piece of cardboard, it doesn't need anything fancy.

My current colonies:

2x Tetramorium Immigrans colony, one with probably 500 workers and the second has around 200

#25 Offline Major - Posted October 12 2018 - 11:42 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Wow! This looks great! Just a suggestion for next time: you may want to use magnets in a Tarheel Ants style to connect the acrylic. It makes cleaning and moving in and out very easy. May I ask where you bought the Firebrick? I plan on making a Formicarium myself. Here are the crude designs, but the explanation helps compensate for it. It's a bit of a read though haha. http://www.formicult...-for-tiny-ants/

I would definitely move the Camponotus into this. It would be better for their first hibernation.

#26 Offline Yosigi - Posted October 13 2018 - 2:53 PM

Yosigi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSaranac, NY

I might change my mind and add magnets after the C. pennsylvanicus move on to a bigger nest, I get the feeling they are gonna grow fast enough I won't have too much cleaning to do.  I got the firebrick from my ceramics teacher at college, a pottery supplier would be your best bet as shipping them online is kinda expensive due to the weight.

My current colonies:

#27 Offline CoolColJ - Posted October 15 2018 - 1:46 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I prefer glass held down by magnets. Glass is cheap from frameless picture frames

Edited by CoolColJ, October 15 2018 - 1:47 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#28 Offline Yosigi - Posted October 16 2018 - 5:32 AM

Yosigi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSaranac, NY
DSCF0357
DSCF0359
DSCF0361

Evidently they were more ready to move than I thought!  I connected the two nests last night just to see if they would move before I put them in hibernation this weekend, and when I woke up this morning the omni nest was completely cleared out and they were all in the brick nest.  This'll make it very easy to hibernate them, as I can have two test tubes connected to the nest for water and hummingbird nectar while they hibernate, and it takes up less room in the fridge too.

• FSTP and ANTdrew like this

My current colonies:

#29 Offline FSTP - Posted October 16 2018 - 6:25 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Great job looks really well built. The ants seem happy.

Edited by FSTP, October 16 2018 - 6:27 AM.

#30 Offline Kalidas - Posted October 16 2018 - 8:28 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
Looks nice man.

#31 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 16 2018 - 1:56 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s awesome! Good luck with the colony.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#32 Offline Dukagora - Posted October 31 2018 - 10:30 AM

Dukagora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Hello,

Just wanted to throw it out there. Where I live I can't find this firebrick. I found a place in Phoenix but its either a 3 hour drive round trip or 50+ shipping for 2 or 3 bricks. 

I found this company online and while the minimum order amount is $20, I am getting this shipped to me for less than $30 for 5 bricks. If anyone is interested, I will share pictures of how the bricks fare during shipping.

https://www.axner.co...firebricks.aspx

There is the link for anyone having trouble finding it locally. 

Edited by Dukagora, October 31 2018 - 10:34 AM.

#33 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 31 2018 - 1:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve found good deals on eBay, too, I searched for k23 firebrick.
I’ve found good deals on eBay, too, I searched for k23 firebrick.

#34 Offline Rstheant - Posted November 14 2018 - 8:20 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Be careful with the sponge. It may start molding, and the water will usually dissipate through the nest, unless you place it in a container. Just an FYI.

I’ve found good deals on eBay, too, I searched for k23 firebrick.I’ve found good deals on eBay, too, I searched for k23 firebrick.

K26 firebrick is also good and is harder that k23.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#35 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 15 2018 - 9:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good tip! I imagine k26 would be a better choice for so-called destructive species like tetramorium immigrans? I can carve the k23 with my fingernail.

#36 Offline Kalidas - Posted November 15 2018 - 11:49 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana

Good tip! I imagine k26 would be a better choice for so-called destructive species like tetramorium immigrans? I can carve the k23 with my fingernail.

I think I would prefer the K23 if it's that easy to carve. Esspecialy with what I want to do

#37 Offline Dukagora - Posted November 15 2018 - 12:07 PM

Dukagora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona
I forgot to follow up but it was $45 shipped for the 5 firebricks I got and took about a week to week and a half to get. I was incorrect about the initial cost of it in the original post.

#38 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 15 2018 - 1:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I think I would prefer the K23 if it's that easy to carve. Esspecialy with what I want to do
It’s incredible how easy to carve it is. If Tarheel ants says that tetramorium can chew through their ytong nest, I fear they could get through this in no time. Then I’d need both a new nest and a divorce lawyer. Lol
  • brianhershey likes this

#39 Offline Rstheant - Posted November 16 2018 - 4:52 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

It’s incredible how easy to carve it is. If Tarheel ants says that tetramorium can chew through their ytong nest, I fear they could get through this in no time. Then I’d need both a new nest and a divorce lawyer. Lol

Yes, you can grout paint the Formicarium, so it acts as a protective layer. Some species can chew through grout, though I have never seen any chew through grout(party because I don’t make many grout Formicariums)
Is my grammar okay? I saw your post, that you’re an English teacher

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 17 2018 - 9:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good tip and excellent grammar! I was thinking along those lines with putting a grout layer.
  • Rstheant likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firebrick, formicarium, diy, dremel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users