• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts Collective Journal (HUGE picture update - Ants + Formicarium - 7-13-2020)

formicarium temnothorax antkeeping catsnants blacklight small species

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#281 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 25 2019 - 3:30 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Well, I saw a stick today with a hole in it (it was a 3/4 inch in diameter) and cracked it open. What do you know, a Camponotus nearcticus queen pops out! I’ve now officially used my last test tube!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#282 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 5:21 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
To make room for ants, I’ve decided to release two queens that I really don’t have much interest in: my Camponotus castaneus queen, as well as my Camponotus nearcticus queen. I’ve also took my single Strumigenys queen and added her to the existing colony. I’ve been trying to find the queen to that colony and haven’t succeeded, so I figured I would see if they got along. So far so good. That left me with 3 fresh test tubes in which I put 2 pheidole queens in their own test tube and some temnohorax in the last.

Spoiler

#283 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 5:26 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Now if you were in Tennessee, I would have a castaneus queen..... :lol:

#284 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:09 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Now if you were in Tennessee, I would have a castaneus queen..... :lol:

Just a few hundred miles away :lol: To be honest, I don’t really like the HUGE Camponotus species, I like smaller ants.

Spoiler

#285 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:48 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Alright, each pheidole queen now has her own test tube, and he hits test tube has 5 Temnothorax ambiguus queens. I have a small test tube like container (was a bubble soap container) that now houses the three remaining temnothorax curvispinosus queens. I’m pretty excited to have finally found queens in both of these genuses this year.

Spoiler

#286 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:51 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I use those same bubble tubes for Colobopsis and Solenopsis queens :lol: .

#287 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 7:57 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I use those same bubble tubes for Colobopsis and Solenopsis queens :lol: .

Literally though, we were at a wedding where they were passed out to everyone, and afterwords I was like “hey, can I have that?” I collected only four :lol:.

Spoiler

#288 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 8:05 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Same. But I collected 15.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#289 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 12:25 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I decided to move the 5 Temnothorax ambiguus queens into one of the bubble containers as it is a lot smaller. I hope these do well.

Spoiler

#290 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 26 2019 - 6:45 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Alright, I will be using up another test tube for my new Colobopsis queen! I have no idea of what her species is, but I’ll get an ID thread going soon!

Also, I found 5 more temnothorax curvispinosis. Should I add them to the existing 3 queens, or start a new one with them?

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 26 2019 - 6:45 PM.

Spoiler

#291 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 26 2019 - 8:42 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Cool! I’ll be heading out a lot! Also, if I haven’t got this point across already, MULCH is a great place to find queen ants and ant colonies! I literally with lifting up mulch again, and found a temnothorax longispinosus queen with a small brood pile!

I know this. I found a dead Pheidole queen and a few Lasius interjectus queens under some in my yard. Monomorium are flying as well.

do you know the weather conditions that trigger Monomorium minimum to fly? I know where a few colonies are, about 45 minutes from me, but I can't be going out there every day to check for queens.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#292 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 27 2019 - 6:41 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Cool! I’ll be heading out a lot! Also, if I haven’t got this point across already, MULCH is a great place to find queen ants and ant colonies! I literally with lifting up mulch again, and found a temnothorax longispinosus queen with a small brood pile!

I know this. I found a dead Pheidole queen and a few Lasius interjectus queens under some in my yard. Monomorium are flying as well.
do you know the weather conditions that trigger Monomorium minimum to fly? I know where a few colonies are, about 45 minutes from me, but I can't be going out there every day to check for queens.

Personally, I’ve never actually seen monomorium queens. Although I’m pretty sure your asking Antdude, so I’ll let that up to him.

As for the Colobopsis queens, it’s C. mississippiensis! I put her in one of the bubble soap containers too because they’re smaller. I also added the 5 temnothorax to the existing three. Hopefully, they will start laying eggs because they are all getting along.

The Temnothorax ambiguus queens are all huddled up together, so hopefully they will lay soon too.

The 2 pheidole queens still haven’t shed their wings, but they aren’t trying to fly and are settled down, so I guess we’ll see if they are mated or not.
  • Martialis likes this

Spoiler

#293 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 27 2019 - 6:52 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Here in SoCal, I find Monomorium in the evening, after a warm day.

Edited by NickAnter, June 27 2019 - 6:52 AM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#294 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 27 2019 - 6:54 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I find Monomorium flying in the evenings on a warm, humid day.

#295 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 27 2019 - 6:56 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I pretty much find one every day now in my pool, or on the cover.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#296 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 27 2019 - 7:15 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I just randomly found another temnothorax curvispinosus queen today wondering around, so I guess that makes 9 queens. I’m not ping to add any more queens, as I think 9 is plenty for them to start a colony :lol:.

Spoiler

#297 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 27 2019 - 2:03 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
In the 5 queen temnothorax ambiguus setup, I have sight of a single egg! This means they are hopefully getting along!

Spoiler

#298 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 27 2019 - 5:03 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Well, I just found a random Colobopsis queen on our white door. She’s either colobopsis impressa or obliqua.

EDIT: also, my cat thought it would be funny to knock a test tube (my last free one) off my desk. To say the least, it shattered EVERYWHERE.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 27 2019 - 5:36 PM.

Spoiler

#299 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 28 2019 - 5:43 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
My seven queen obliqua colony has an egg now.

#300 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 28 2019 - 5:50 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

My seven queen obliqua colony has an egg now.

Wait these are polygynous? That’s cool. My (now 10 queen) temnthorax colony still doesn’t have any eggs, but my 5 queen T. ambiguus still has that one egg. How long does it take for Colobopsis to lay eggs?

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, temnothorax, antkeeping, catsnants, blacklight, small species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users